Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Btw, WJ Vacation is charging sun bound package passengers an extra $30 luggage fee each way. It is utterly ridiculous when people already paid $3000 for an all inclusive vacation and being dinged another $60 for luggage?
Originally Posted by 5mm
Why is it utterly ridiculous? WS is not getting all of the $3K? If you don't want to pay the $30's US, take carry on. It part of today's world. Cheap airfares don't allow airlines to give services away. You can always buy the higher fare ticket that gives you a free bag. You must go crazy on hotel resort charges, if this small baggage fee change is effecting you this much.
Hey folks, let's not muddy the waters with discussion that should be continued elsewhere. The advent of WS Vac. charging for the first checked bag thread is here so let's keep this discussion in this thread focused on the CAD/USD checked bag change in WS policy.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Rick, you seem to love to give all your money to WJ because you like to fatten their bottom line. WJ needs people like you. Why bother coming on here to spew the corporate cool-aid as an apologist? This is a forum for people to minimize spending and maximize benefit, not the other way around.?
You have this mistaken impression that WestJet owes either explanations for charging what others charge or that they should operate more cheaply than others so you don't have to pay. It isn't going to change. The part about how they should have to explain to you or anyone is just silly. It's obvious why they charge in this way, so instead of gnashing your teeth over this either pay it, pay for a fare that includes it or fly on another who all charge the same or more. If I owned an airline operating out of the US where I have to pay in US for ground services, I'd charge in US also.

What do you expect them to do? I can answer that for you. Because you are impacted and take it as a personal affront your you and apparently on behalf of all passengers, they should charge less. Well, let's expand the benevolence to free food, no cost for Plus, Plus for 1/2 the cost of economy, and more. Limo service point to point? They are a public company that is doing weakly. They are changing that. You don't have an alternative and they know that.

The market devolved to people wanting Greyhound fares (how's Greyhound doing?) and Cadillac service. That worked less than well. So guess what? It's gone, kaput, done for, extinct. Greed and entitlement killed all the opportunity.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Memo to WestJet:

I have booked the same accommodation for next year. We've been coming to OGG in January for almost 15 years, almost always used the WS flight because I hate the AC redeye going home. This year I got whacked C$250 in bag charges, also paid I forget how much for exit row seats one way and regular seats the other.

I haven't booked air for next year yet, but three things have happened that will affect what I do:
  1. My WS Gold status match lapsed at the end of Oct 2018;
  2. AC has added a daytime flight;
  3. I have regained my AC E35 status, which gives me, among other things, seat selection, 50% discount on preferred seats, three checked bags, and a Bistro discount code.
So AC has at least a $300 advantage over WS.

Ball is in your court.
Just to close the loop on this, I managed to snag seats on the daytime AC flights with Aeroplan, $150 + $280 for exit row seats. With my E35 status, no bag charges. Didn’t get the 50% off the preferred seats - the fine print says it only applies to Flex fares.

First time in at least 20 years I’ve made an AE booking and not been PO’d at the end of it.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:13 pm

On an oddly related note to the original topic, I just noticed that WestJet is charging different amounts for seat selection on the same route, depending on the direction. Eastbound seats (YYC-YYZ) are a couple of dollars cheaper than Westbound (YYZ-YYC) on the same plane (787).

Go figure.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mxqisit
On an oddly related note to the original topic, I just noticed that WestJet is charging different amounts for seat selection on the same route, depending on the direction. Eastbound seats (YYC-YYZ) are a couple of dollars cheaper than Westbound (YYZ-YYC) on the same plane (787).

Go figure.
Does the extra tax charged going from Ontario (HST) account for the difference?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Could be the jet stream tax. How much is the difference? I want to see if it's as petty as what I read on the Southwest forum where someone rebooked for $4 fare difference.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy

Does the extra tax charged going from Ontario (HST) account for the difference?
Quite possibly. It's $2-3 difference for $20-$40 seats.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:50 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...gers-1.5095779

WestJet's $30 US checked bag fee for some flights has angered many passengers, and now at least two customers have managed to get their money back.

They got a full refund after pointing out an error on their e-ticket receipt. It stated the $30 fee would be charged in Canadian — not U.S. dollars. Now they want WestJet to initiate refunds for all affected customers.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:18 am

As Mike902 pointed out, WS has finally acknowledged that some e-tkts had information that contradicted their baggage policies. While WS will not proactively offer refunds, passengers that were charged incorrectly can claim their refund by contacting WS. Summarized the issue in a blog post, check if you are eligible for a refund - https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...ge-fee-refund/
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:40 pm

I wonder if this is a situation where it's better to proactively have WS waive the bag fees on the US - Canada segment or to pay the fee and then contact WS after to have a refund issued.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Mike902
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...gers-1.5095779

WestJet's $30 US checked bag fee for some flights has angered many passengers, and now at least two customers have managed to get their money back.

They got a full refund after pointing out an error on their e-ticket receipt. It stated the $30 fee would be charged in Canadian — not U.S. dollars. Now they want WestJet to initiate refunds for all affected customers.
Thanks Mike and so much for the contention of many in this thread that the bag fees inbound to Canada should be naturally be charged in USD.
Mike902 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:57 am

The issue is some receipts were printed with the currency not shown as USD, who knows what criteria or which channel was incorrect in that respect (WestJet may not even know how the glitch occurred), these people can claim the difference in cost between USD and CAD by providing a copy of their receipt. All others were charged correct in USD if the receipt shows it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.