Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
You are talking about a one way ticket. I am talking about return ticket.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:52 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
It's the same. Return tickets are basically two 1 way tickets, linked together. Each flight booking is initiated from the starting city of the flight you are currently taking.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
As long as the luggage goes there and stays behind, this logic makes sense. If you plan to bring it back, you pay again.
You could buy Plus vs. economy and all this goes away and a better seat to boot.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I just checked my trip to OGG last January. I was charged C$60.00 for 2 bags going (no GST unless it was embedded in the $60) and US$48.50 returning. At the then-prevailing exchange rate of ~$1.30, the difference would be about C$3.05. Not enough to be worked up about.
So this year, same time, same trip, I'm charged C$80 for two bags going (!) and US$80 for the same two bags returning.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:33 pm

So this year, same time, same trip, I'm charged C$80 for two bags going (!) and US$80 for the same two bags returning.
Memo to WestJet:

I have booked the same accommodation for next year. We've been coming to OGG in January for almost 15 years, almost always used the WS flight because I hate the AC redeye going home. This year I got whacked C$250 in bag charges, also paid I forget how much for exit row seats one way and regular seats the other.

I haven't booked air for next year yet, but three things have happened that will affect what I do:
  1. My WS Gold status match lapsed at the end of Oct 2018;
  2. AC has added a daytime flight;
  3. I have regained my AC E35 status, which gives me, among other things, seat selection, 50% discount on preferred seats, three checked bags, and a Bistro discount code.
So AC has at least a $300 advantage over WS.

Ball is in your court.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:35 pm

Memo to WestJet:

I have booked the same accommodation for next year. We've been coming to OGG in January for almost 15 years, almost always used the WS flight because I hate the AC redeye going home. This year I got whacked C$250 in bag charges, also paid I forget how much for exit row seats one way and regular seats the other.

I haven't booked air for next year yet, but three things have happened that will affect what I do:
  3. I have regained my AC E35 status, which gives me, among other things, seat selection, 50% discount on preferred seats, three checked bags, and a Bistro discount code.

Ball is in your court.
Why not take AC and call it a day, or are you just wanting WS to status match a second time?

AC now have a daytime OGG flight too and their 737 MAX with AVOD is a nicer ride than WS anyway. If you didn't have status on either, AC is already a better choice, but with E35 I'm surprised it could even be a discussion.
5mm likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
are you just wanting WS to status match a second time?
That would be a good start. But yes, AC is definitely looking like a more attractive option at this point. I just need to figure out how to book it with Avion points such that I can still get by E35 bags and seats.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
This all highlights a big challenge that WestJet is facing now.

As they try try to transform themselves from old WestJet (an LCC with less of a service offering, aggressive pricing, and with lots of flexibility for customers) to, in their words, a “global carrier” ... they’re now stacking on lots of fees, lots of new fare rules - with strict enforcement, a new “Basic” fare (often seemingly at the same price as what regular Econo used to be). And they really seem to be pushing base fares as high as they possibly can. Same planes, same product, same routes, and the old customer service that made them loved being replaced (partially) with rule enforcement and unwavering fee collection.

I get that they’re a business and need to succeed. But in lots of cases, WestJet now costs more — while still offer a lesser service than AC. (Their big hype over the 787, and the fact that they’re improving Plus/Premium, doesn’t change that.)

My fear is that they’re alienating their old core customer - leisure and infrequent travellers - while not giving frequent biz travellers or high margin travellers many new reasons to stick with them. Or, more importantly, to switch to them. (Although enhancements to WS Rewards will help, those are really more of a “me too” thing. They’re simply trying to catch up to what everyone else already offers their loyalty customers.)

Personally, I’m very happy with and very loyal to WestJet now. (As I’ve ranted about here previously, I consider AC to have fired me as a customer when they brought out Rouge and totally fumbled its launch.) Now, I like WestJet, I love the routes I have from YYC, and I’m generally happy with their offering. Even though the hard product on mainline AC can be a bit better, and even though WS is now often a bit more expensive. (And that’s even though I get free bags and have seat selection vouchers.)

This aggression over revenue - especially seat fees (like the new astronomical prices to just sit in the front third of the Y cabin) and high bag fees (especially US to Canada) - might look awesome on a PowerPoint slide at HQ. But this could come back to bite them, as the customer base that got them where they are today are very price sensitive — plus those customers are no longer seeing the folksy friendliness when they have a bag that’s 1 lb too heavy or when they want to change a segment because granny got sick. My hunch is that Sopwith’s example above is not all that rare...

Last edited by FlyerJ; Jan 26, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
This aggression over revenue - especially seat fees (like the new astronomical prices to just sit in the front third of the Y cabin)
Indeed and imagine an infrequent traveller but WS loyalist paying for the preferred seats expecting extra legroom and finding out that not all aircraft offer extra legroom in these seats.
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Memo to WestJet:

Ball is in your court.
If AC is not more than $300 more expensive than WS this logic makes sense. If not then you are gaining the services by paying them more than WS + the cost of the services. A higher tier seat might offer these things and a better experience as well and may not be much more expensive. You really have not said if the fares are the same or not.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Personally, I’m very happy with and very loyal to WestJet now. (As I’ve ranted about here previously, I consider AC to have fired me as a customer when they brought out Rouge and totally fumbled its launch.)
Yep.
I started to fly WS for the same reason, ie they are not AC.....only now WS are tending more and more towards "AC-think".
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Yep.
I started to fly WS for the same reason, ie they are not AC.....only now WS are tending more and more towards "AC-think".
I’ve actually been working at Air Canada as an IT consultant for a month now (I also worked as a consultant there in the dot.com era). I couldn’t leave the industry and fully retire yet - my wife told me “get a job” when I was too annoying around the house last fall!

I would say that there are pros and cons on both sides of AC and WS, each has their own track that at times may seem the same, but other than both being airlines, neither are trying to be the same as each other (whether it is Rouge trying to be like WS was, or WS trying to be like AC mainline). Both try to respond to market needs, which may bring them together, but fundamental thinking in both cases is about trying to be the best themselves, not to be the same as each other.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Hmm, when I bought HNL-YYJ, WS offered the lowest price vs DL. I didn't even think of checking bag fees (coming off an Air Asia X front cabin flight from KUL with 2 free checked bags each). As for value proposition, KUL-HNL in lie-flat seats and ~14-15 hours of flight time will cost just a net of 2-3x WS in regular seats with 5-6 hrs of flight time once bag fees are figured in.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:57 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...0-us-1.5002318

WestJet responds

"We believe that our fees, including the $30 USD charge departing the U.S., are competitive with the industry overall," said spokesperson, Lauren Stewart in an email.
Translation into plain English: "Because most of the other airlines are gouging their customers, we're going to as well. Because it's 2019 and we can."
tcook052 and Frequentlander like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Coming next.. charging you in USD for return flight fares departing the US!

Ron.
smallmj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.