Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winnipegger surprised WS bag fees charged in CAD on trip to U.S. but USD on return

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:36 am

One thing I brought up a number of times before I retired from WestJet was the concept of "are we becoming a Canadian airline that flies internationally, or are we becoming an international airline that is Canadian?"

Although this seems like the same thing stated in two different ways, it is really two distinct approaches from an IT, marketing and finance perspective. In the first case it means principally working in CAD and using currency conversions for pricing, selling mainly to the Canadian market and accounting for operations as a single Canadian entity. In the second case it means having operations that are priced, marketed and accounted for in the local markets served. I believe "an international airline that is Canadian" is the way to go, even though it means a lot of hard changes. I'm glad to see that that evolution has begun.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
There is nothing more annoying to me that submitting expenses for the same trip in multiple currencies.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
There is nothing more annoying to me that submitting expenses for the same trip in multiple currencies.
I don't think I've ever managed a business trip to a foreign country where I haven't had expenses in the currency accepted there.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
1. The passenger initiated her travel in the US. just as she had initiated her first segment in Canada.
2. In any event and by its own terms, the provision does not apply to ancillary baggage fees.
3. Arizona is in the US.
4. The currency in the US is US$.
Then why is there so much inconsistency? As has been mentioned others who've flown from the U.S. have not paid the same amount in USD as they did in CAD on the outbound but rather the USD amount that would convert to the bag fee in CAD they paid on the outbound.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Westjet should then be charging 30 Mexican pesos for luggage on all originating flights from PVR or CUN using that analogy. They are claiming $30 CAD out of Canada means $30 USD out of USA, let's take that further to mean 30 Pesos from CUN, after all, it is the local currency, isn't it?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Westjet should then be charging 30 Mexican pesos for luggage on all originating flights from PVR or CUN using that analogy. They are claiming $30 CAD out of Canada means $30 USD out of USA, let's take that further to mean 30 Pesos from CUN, after all, it is the local currency, isn't it?
It has nothing to do with 30, but rather with that all US airlines charge US$30 for the first bag for flights departing from the US to elsewhere in North America, and Westjet is simply following suit. From CUN, the price for the first checked bag is also US$30. And Westjet tells us exactly what the deal is in https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel.../service-fees:

Baggage fees and country of origin

As of August 28th, 2018, your baggage fee will depend on the country you depart from, as per industry standards.

Guests departing from:
  • Canada - 1st bag fee $30 CAD, 2nd bag fee $50 CAD
  • United States, Latin America, Caribbean - 1st bag fee $30 USD, 2nd bag fee $50 USD ".
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier
Baggage fees and country of origin
As of August 28th, 2018, your baggage fee will depend on the country you depart from, as per industry standards.

Guests departing from:
  • Canada - 1st bag fee $30 CAD, 2nd bag fee $50 CAD
  • United States, Latin America, Caribbean - 1st bag fee $30 USD, 2nd bag fee $50 USD ".
This seems pretty clear.
You're not departing from Canada if you're departing from a US airport.
It doesn't explain the inconsistencies that others have noted above. Perhaps their tickets were booked prior to the change and were grandfathered at the old rates.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
This seems pretty clear.
You're not departing from Canada if you're departing from a US airport.
It doesn't explain the inconsistencies that others have noted above. Perhaps their tickets were booked prior to the change and were grandfathered at the old rates.
There was a grandfathering, from https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...s/service-fees :

”Fee is based on the province of departure; range is shown in chart. Fee is charged in CAD or USD depending on departure county. GST is charged on all itineraries that originate in Canada.

Bookings before August 24th, 2018, for flights within Canada. Bookings before August 28th, 2018 for flights outside Canada.
First bag 25 CAD or 25 USD depending on country of origin.
Second bag 35 CAD or 35 USD depending on country of origin.
Please see an airport agent for the grandfathered fee after October 1st, 2018.

WestJet Vacations bookings before November 5, 2018:
First bag no fee if travelling outside of Canada or the U.S.
Please see an airport agent for the grandfathered fee.”
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
I don't think I've ever managed a business trip to a foreign country where I haven't had expenses in the currency accepted there.
Travel (airline, hotel and rental car) that will be charged to a Canadian dollar cost center is supposed to be booked in Canadian dollars, deviating from that is annoying unless you enjoy redacting your own credit card statements in Acrobat.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:20 pm

Travel (airline, hotel and rental car) that will be charged to a Canadian dollar cost center is supposed to be booked in Canadian dollars, deviating from that is annoying unless you enjoy redacting your own credit card statements in Acrobat.
Sounds like accounting processes that are not well developed for international operation. I’m used to companies that have expense entry into the ERP system directly, with each entry in whatever currency the expense was incurred in. May be time to lobby your company to outsource expense and other ERP processes to one of the many cloud based offerings that are well sorted for multi currency use.
aidy likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms

Sounds like accounting processes that are not well developed for international operation. I’m used to companies that have expense entry into the ERP system directly, with each entry in whatever currency the expense was incurred in. May be time to lobby your company to outsource expense and other ERP processes to one of the many cloud based offerings that are well sorted for multi currency use.
I could write pages and pages on how messed up the expense reimbursement system is in the majority of companies.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
How about submitting in a single currency but having it bounced three months in a row because I travelled to three provinces and coded the GST "incorrectly" for two of them? And Ontario's HST has yet another code. Memo to head office: The reason we have accounting minions is to take care of that stuff while we professionals are busy making billable time!!!

(Sorry to stray off topic, but it hit a nerve. I'm no longer with that company.)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:43 pm

No, not really. Our currency issues and policies about billing for customer approved travel are unlikely to interest you.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith
How about submitting in a single currency but having it bounced three months in a row because I travelled to three provinces and coded the GST "incorrectly" for two of them? And Ontario's HST has yet another code. Memo to head office: The reason we have accounting minions is to take care of that stuff while we professionals are busy making billable time!!!

(Sorry to stray off topic, but it hit a nerve. I'm no longer with that company.)
That dynamic is just magical in California where every county except for Fresno and Butte have a county sales tax and every one is different.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
There was a grandfathering,
Yes, grandfathering of the previously lower checked bag fees but this still doesn't explain why I've heard from people who bought tickets recently (last month) and flew last week and paid the converted USD amount for checked bag fees on the inbound that approximated what they'd paid in CAD on the outbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.