Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet signs long-term extension of Mastercard agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...701631551.html

CALGARY, Nov. 30, 2018 /CNW/ - Amid the turbulent loyalty landscape in Canada, WestJet today announced the long-term extension of its partnership agreement with Mastercard on its travel rewards credit card, WestJet RBC Mastercard.

"WestJet RBC Mastercard cardholders have always had choice, flexibility, certainty and convenience," said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. "Our long-term partnership with Mastercard ensures that our card members continue to get exceptional value and outstanding flight and travel benefits. As WestJet moves to become a premium global network airline, our partnership with Mastercard and RBC provides best-in-class value to our guests."

"Consumers today look for products and services that simplify their lives while bringing them closer to the experiences they seek," said Iain McLean, Senior Vice-President, Market Development for Mastercard in Canada. "We're pleased to extend and deepen our partnership, allowing WestJet RBC Mastercard cardholders to continue earning more WestJet dollars on their everyday purchases."

"As one of the top travel rewards cards in Canada, the WestJet RBC Mastercard will continue to give our clients who fly with WestJet benefits that enhance their overall travel experience," said Athena Varmazis, Senior Vice-President, Cards, RBC. "We know that Canadians appreciate consistency and transparency in their loyalty program, so we're thrilled that our key partners, WestJet and Mastercard, have extended their agreement which ensures we can continue to deliver unparalleled value to our cardholders."

The number-one-ranked airline credit card in Canada+, WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard, allows the primary cardholder to take a companion on an annual round-trip flight on the same itinerary starting from $99*. In addition to the companion voucher, the card also provides the first checked bag at no charge for the primary cardholder as well as up to eight additional guests travelling on the same reservation and offers a welcome bonus of 250 WestJet dollars. WestJet dollars act as cash and can be redeemed anywhere WestJet flies, at any time.

For more information about the WestJet RBC Mastercard, visit westjet.com.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
CALGARY, Nov. 30, 2018 /CNW/ - Amid the turbulent loyalty landscape in Canada, WestJet today announced the long-term extension of its partnership agreement with Mastercard on its travel rewards credit card, WestJet RBC Mastercard.
What a horribly-written sentence to start the press release. "Amid the turbulent loyalty landscape in Canada"? Really? And this passed muster from both RBC & WestJet? Yikes. That's embarrassing.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cedric
What a horribly-written sentence to start the press release. "Amid the turbulent loyalty landscape in Canada"? Really? And this passed muster from both RBC & WestJet? Yikes. That's embarrassing.
What exactly is "turbulent" about the loyalty landscape in Canada. The direction is clear. Operators of loyalty programs are becoming more sophisticated and have more advanced tools available. They are using this factor to optimize the programs to generate the most revenue.

The is a forum dedicated to gaming these system and getting the biggest band for the buck from these program. None of us are happy with the increased sophistication of the operators of these programs, but it is not turbulent, it is quite consistent and monotonic in its progression.
cedric likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
What exactly is "turbulent" about the loyalty landscape in Canada.
An obvious and thinly veiled dig at Aeroplan, which has had a decidedly turbulent several months.

I'm more interested in what exactly "deepen our partnership" means?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
reminds me of the quote "change is good, until it happens"
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by robsaw
Does it mean I need a pre-nup before I sign up to the card?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by robsaw
An obvious and thinly veiled dig at Aeroplan, which has had a decidedly turbulent several months.

The offspring of an airline and a bank getting together... One can imaging.

What I find interesting is the partnership does not extend to Avion at this point.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:13 am

The strategy with Ampli is aimed to fill a lot of the Rewards limitations from a consumer perspective: Rewards Canada: Ampli, the newest Canadian loyalty program from RBC and WestJet
Fiordland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.