Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet announces it has expanded its codeshare relationship with Qantas

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...701869152.html

CALGARY, Dec. 4, 2018 /CNW/ – WestJet today announced it has expanded its codeshare relationship with Qantas by placing its WS code and flight numbers on Qantas-operated flights between Los Angeles and Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

“Canada’s favourite airline, WestJet, welcomes this deepened relationship with Qantas,” said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President, Network Planning and Alliances. “Expanding our partnership with Qantas provides our guests greater global travel options and aligns with the new premium products and services WestJet is developing as we continue our evolution to a global network airline.”

Itineraries connecting the growing WestJet network to these Australian destinations are available today for purchase on all WestJet sales channels for flights starting December 6, 2018.

“The expansion of our codeshare relationship with WestJet will give Canadian travellers more options to visit Australia than ever before,” said Stephen Thompson, Senior Executive Vice-President, The Americas, Qantas. “We offer more non-stop flights between North America and Australia than any other airline and have Australia’s largest domestic network with connecting services to more than 60 destinations across Australia and New Zealand. Our customers tell us they feel their Australian holiday starts the moment they step onboard a Qantas flight, with our award-winning Australian food and wine selection and the warm Aussie hospitality our crew provide.”

WestJet and Qantas have been codeshare partners since 2014 and the airlines have offered Qantas Frequent Flyer and WestJet Rewards members the ability to earn and redeem loyalty rewards since 2017. Travellers will also continue to enjoy one-stop check-in and baggage transfers to their final destination.

WestJet operates flights from Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto to Los Angeles. The WS code will be added on Qantas’ daily flights between Los Angelesand Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and its seasonal service between Vancouver and Sydney.
Fiordland likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
So much for the Westjet-inching-toward-Skyteam speculation....
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:21 am

Can anybody help me find details on the YVR-SYD direct flights on Qantas? I'm not seeing any available right now which tells me it may be a seasonal route and dates for 2019 haven't been announced yet.... or am I missing something here?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by mxqisit
Can anybody help me find details on the YVR-SYD direct flights on Qantas? I'm not seeing any available right now which tells me it may be a seasonal route and dates for 2019 haven't been announced yet.... or am I missing something here?

Seasonal route it is. Usually 3 flights a week if i recall correctly.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by mxqisit

Flights only operate during the peak Australian Summer. Flights are only till the end of January
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
Flights only operate during the peak Australian Summer. Flights are only till the end of January
In past years they have also operated during the peak Canadian Summer season. In years past it has been operated with a 747-400. The airline has in the past had the problem that the only aircraft in their fleet that can operate the flight is the 747 or A380. I think that is changing.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier
So much for the Westjet-inching-toward-Skyteam speculation....
Australia will always be an exception. There is no domestic skyteam operator in that market.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Australia will always be an exception. There is no domestic skyteam operator in that market.
Nor an Australian domestic Star Alliance airline (RIP Ansett)
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
There's Virgin Australia, which is not a SkyTeam member per se, but which codeshares with DL and other Skyteam members...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by PHXflier
There's Virgin Australia, which is not a SkyTeam member per se, but which codeshares with DL and other Skyteam members...
Virgin Australia and Air Canada are already in bed. I don't think they would be partnered with both WestJet and Air Canada.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Virgin Australia and Air Canada are already in bed. I don't think they would be partnered with both WestJet and Air Canada.
AC has an agreement with QF and VA. Not sure to what extent each are but I've flown both Australian carriers on tickets purchased from AC.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Heffeh41
AC has an agreement with QF and VA. Not sure to what extent each are but I've flown both Australian carriers on tickets purchased from AC.
I believe QF is an interline and VA is a codeshare. AC probably has interline agreements with most major airlines in the world.

WestJet is still catching up on the interline agreements.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
If I book a WestJet award with Qantas points... do I get advanced seat selection?
Old May 15, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, WestJet Plat
Originally Posted by shuuy
If I book a WestJet award with Qantas points... do I get advanced seat selection?
I don't think so - your QF award ticket should behave like a WestJet Econo fare, so no free seats or bags.
shuuy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.