FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   WS Passengers Open to the Idea of Premium Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1944055-ws-passengers-open-idea-premium-fares.html)

Frequentlander Dec 5, 2018 9:11 am

WS Passengers Open to the Idea of Premium Fares

https://business.financialpost.com/t...-premium-fares

aerobod Dec 5, 2018 9:55 am

For anyone interested, there is a lot of info on the direction of the product that WestJet offers in the 66-slide investor day presentation from yesterday, it is available here (you do have to register): WestJet Airlines
You can download it from within the webcast stream, but be warned, it is a 534MB PDF.

YXUFlyboy Dec 5, 2018 11:54 am

That was a good read, Aerobod. Looks like WS is following the same as most main line carriers - business, premium economy, "economy plus or preferred seats" and plain vanilla economy. I know we will see narrowbody business rolled out in 2019; is this still on track? And will we see a roll out of "preferred economy" on narrowbody aircraft?

It would also appear that WS will focus 787s at YYC and YYZ (I don't see YVR on the slides), which suggests Asia is going to be last in rollout, perhaps with the last batch in 2021. Did they discuss any possibilities of executing the 789 options?

Frequentlander Dec 5, 2018 12:19 pm

Indeed, I am open to the idea of premium fairs and I do pay them. I fly Plus/Premium on any leg longer than 2.5 hours but.... What WS needs to do to get me into those seats more frequently is improve their winter schedule from YVR to other major centres. They drop YVR-YUL and YVR-YOW non stops in the winter. I'm not going to risk a connection in YYZ or YYC in winter. I'll take the competitor's non-stop instead. I have go to those cities several times a year. In summer I fly WestJet but I'm compelled to take the competition in winter as they have the monopoly on non-stops.

Error 601 Dec 5, 2018 3:01 pm

They're surely open to it, but what they're offering up there has to be competitive as does the frequent flyer program.

I don't know very many people with antipathy for WestJet but the Aeroplan Super Altitude Bling-Bling Elites I know don't perceive WestJet to be offering a them anything that would make them choose WestJet for anything other than a perfectly scheduled flight.

Error 601 Dec 5, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 30502082)
(I don't see YVR on the slides), which suggests Asia is going to be last in rollout, perhaps with the last batch in 2021. Did they discuss any possibilities of executing the 789 options?

Given what my Chinese colleagues are paying to fly back to China via Vancouver at the moment that is probably smart. $600 round-trip, sometimes less than $500.

Fiordland Dec 5, 2018 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601 (Post 30502796)
They're surely open to it, but what they're offering up there has to be competitive as does the frequent flyer program.

I don't know very many people with antipathy for WestJet but the Aeroplan Super Altitude Bling-Bling Elites I know don't perceive WestJet to be offering a them anything that would make them choose WestJet for anything other than a perfectly scheduled flight.

I am a former Aeroplan Altitude and my perspective is my AMEX Platinum provides lounge access in the WestJet area of most major airport. I am now a free agent and will take either WestJet or AC based on who ever has the least connections and best timed flight. Preference going to the US is more and more to Delta. Generally don't like United. For some of us the WestJet/Delta combo is interesting. WestJet getting a proper front cabin is also interesting. If usually done AC/Lufthansa, the WestJet/Air France/KLM combo is interesting.

Key improvements I think WestJet needs:
- the front cabin that is on the way
- stronger relationship with AMEX.
- A partner in Asia. Stronger Delta and Air France/KLM partnership.

Error 601 Dec 6, 2018 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 30504192)

I think the unfortunate truth and something WestJet really, really isn't going to want to do is that they're going to have to have a premium cabin price war with Air Canada that will either entice individual Air Canada loyalists onto WestJet or force them by way of their travel policies. Build it and they will come probably won't work here.

WestJet Rewards sucks, but so surely will whatever Aeroplan becomes.

Frequentlander Dec 6, 2018 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601 (Post 30506757)
I think the unfortunate truth and something WestJet really, really isn't going to want to do is that they're going to have to have a premium cabin price war with Air Canada that will either entice individual Air Canada loyalists onto WestJet or force them by way of their travel policies. Build it and they will come probably won't work here.

WestJet Rewards sucks, but so surely will whatever Aeroplan becomes.

I think that by doing what they'e doing, WS will actually start to become a consideration for some customers who willing to think outside the AC box. If they see a comparable offering in comfort, schedule and price, people will consider there options and maybe try the (WS) competition.

Error 601 Dec 6, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander (Post 30506918)
I think that by doing what they'e doing, WS will actually start to become a consideration for some customers who willing to think outside the AC box. If they see a comparable offering in comfort, schedule and price, people will consider there options and maybe try the (WS) competition.

I don't think that is enough, they have to crack the Aeroplan cultists and they won't do that matching Air Canada's fares and offering a fist full of WestJet Dollars.

Arthurrs Dec 6, 2018 5:11 pm

It sounds rather expensive to me. Most of my business travel is domestic, and usually with an economy fare. As a platinum next year, I would hope Westjet offers an easy, cost effective way to upgrade. I pay for the plus seat upgrades now on almost every cross country flight, justifying the expense of being able to work productively while I'm flying.

5mm Dec 6, 2018 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander (Post 30506918)

Until WestJet increases their FF benefits, they will usually be a premium flyers second choice. Their FF program in general is bad. But in order to fix this problem, WestJet will have to spend millions and increase their general operating cost.

ricktoronto Dec 6, 2018 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 30504192)

More than the one or two in process and a whole lot faster than they do anything.

Fiordland Dec 7, 2018 12:13 am

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 30507127)
Until WestJet increases their FF benefits, they will usually be a premium flyers second choice. Their FF program in general is bad. But in order to fix this problem, WestJet will have to spend millions and increase their general operating cost.

If the goal is to get passengers that will pay real money to sit in the front cabin then the loyalty program is not that important. Those passengers will get all the benefits that you would expect (lounge access, priority lines everywhere, etc.). They have a fairly small cabin, can they fill a good percentage of the seats with these passengers.

Improving the FF program is for those passengers that pay for economy and fly frequently. These are not premium flyers, these are frequent flyers. I think all they need to do is improve the chance of going into the front cabin from time to time and a bit of priority and they will get these guys.

Error 601 Dec 7, 2018 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 30508004)
If the goal is to get passengers that will pay real money to sit in the front cabin then the loyalty program is not that important.

The fabulously wealthy are the biggest freeloaders you will ever meet.

"I'm so rich everything's free"