Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WS Passengers Open to the Idea of Premium Fares

WS Passengers Open to the Idea of Premium Fares

Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Very interesting read, aerobod - thanks for that.

Interesting thoughts. To me, the opportunity for Westjet isn't in trying to win over the bling bling Super Elites so much as the tens of thousands of disgruntled Altitude 25k, 35k and 50k travelers who have seen all rewards for their loyalty steadily eroded away. AC's frequent flier program is clearly aimed at travelers who book premium fares as a matter of course. But that's a shrinking group, as more companies mandate economy fares for all business travel. Westjet has an opportunity to capitalize in a big way by providing a FF program that focuses on the mid-tier frequent fliers who are restricted to booking economy fares. These folks may not book 20 grand a year in travel, but they will book 4 to 8 grand year after year, and are comparatively low maintenance and comparatively low cost to retain. They also represent the overwhelming majority of business travelers today.
Precisely. Domestically, I'm in the $10-$15K a year, year after year category. I'm low maintenance (for me it's just a method of getting to work) and just need consistency. I make other arrangements for US and overseas travel for work, so whatever WS does there really doesn't bother me.....but domestic lounges and a solid year-round schedule between major centres in Canada will cement me as a repeat customer.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fiordland
What WestJet needs to go after are people who are willing to pay for the Business cabin. I suspect most of those are going to be corporate accounts where most of the staff fly economy and there is a very small number of senior executives who fly paid business. Even there it is going to be on specific routes. They probably will have problems selling business on YVR-YYC while they could on YVR-YYZ. Having a limited number of business class seats for sale on every flight lets them win that larger account that includes a lot of economy flying.
Yes they have no clue as to this logic. I fly only paid premium (and I did work for a company that paid for J 5+ hour flights). They try to price it too similarly to airlines on some routes that have actual J , free lounges, proper seats, and then wonder why people just want all this largesse for free after earning status with 20 routes that barely total one J fare, or $100 at check-in. This "buy Plus" at check-in nonsense is just that, nonsense. Who will pay $2,000 for a seat when they think it's 50/50 they can pay $500 and then only pay another $100 smackers a day before?

So I check their price and schedule and only fly if it some combo of same is way better or way cheaper than a competitor like AA, AV, CM even AC. They need to differentiate the product with actual food and service. What will happen is they will just charge more or try to.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Yes they have no clue as to this logic. I fly only paid premium (and I did work for a company that paid for J 5+ hour flights). They try to price it too similarly to airlines on some routes that have actual J , free lounges, proper seats, and then wonder why people just want all this largesse for free after earning status with 20 routes that barely total one J fare, or $100 at check-in. This "buy Plus" at check-in nonsense is just that, nonsense. Who will pay $2,000 for a seat when they think it's 50/50 they can pay $500 and then only pay another $100 smackers a day before?
The old Plus is basically a premium economy product but priced as NA J business.

The new Premium product with 2x2 seats, ovens, proper meals and lounge access at major hubs will be much closer to traditional offerings and they can charge for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.