FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Any Gold perks for Swoop? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1942473-any-gold-perks-swoop.html)

HomerJ Nov 26, 2018 9:55 am

Any Gold perks for Swoop?

SO because of a super silly Black Friday pricing the missus and I are heading to PV Mexico on Swoop.
So I have flown AC Rouge on their vacation packages and you can still use some of the benefits if you have status.
Yet when I look online I find nary a mention of Swoop.
Do I get free baggage, zone 1 boarding, lounge access, 24 hr. window to upgrade, does this count towards my WJ spend for status??
Does anyone know?

Symmetre Nov 26, 2018 11:16 am

Short answer - no, Swoop and Westjet are two completely different business entities so none of your Westjet benefits will apply.

It is not at all like AC and rouge, which are effectively the same thing. You can't book Swoop flights on the Westjet website, for example ... they're completely different companies.

Frequentlander Nov 26, 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ (Post 30467882)
SO because of a super silly Black Friday pricing the missus and I are heading to PV Mexico on Swoop.
So I have flown AC Rouge on their vacation packages and you can still use some of the benefits if you have status.
Do I get free baggage, zone 1 boarding, lounge access, 24 hr. window to upgrade, does this count towards my WJ spend for status??
Does anyone know?

This gives you the answer.

FlyerJ Nov 26, 2018 11:45 am

Do I get ... 24 hr. window to upgrade ...

On Swoop, there’s nothing to upgrade to anyway! It’s an all Y configuration.

As mentioned previously, there are absolutely no benefits or recognition for WestJet customers (of any level) flying on Swoop. It’s a totally different airline (with different people, different systems, different everything) that happens to be owned by the same parent company. You’ll pay for bags, seat selection, etc and board with the masses.

But I saw those same fares for PV! At those prices, who cares?! They were almost giving it away. Enjoy!

aerobod Nov 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Does anyone know?

Besides no transferable benefits, be sure you have your bags sorted in terms of sizing as they are strict on charging. If you don't pay ahead of time it could cost you up to $85 plus tax for a normal size carry-on at the gate: https://www.flyswoop.com/baggage.html

james dean Nov 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander (Post 30468241)

Haha, perfect..I think this post qualifies for "post of the year" award !!

HomerJ Nov 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks...I just wondered with Rouge giving benefits to those with AC status.
A knock against WJ, compared to AC.
Thanks I did pre-book one checked bag (they charge the same for a carry-on), but I can check a big bag something we cannot do with the carry on option ($35/bag each way).
$12 for seat selection.
Still $511 all in for two from YHM to PVR direct isn't a bad deal I was just hoping for a little Gold status love....oh well....

Symmetre Nov 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ (Post 30469150)

Not at all. Remember when AC introduced rouge it did not change the price of the flights at all - rouge fares and mainline fares were identical, even though with rouge passengers got a vastly inferior product. That remains true today.

Swoop fares are much, much lower than Westjet fares (or anyone else's). For that, you have to be willing to give something up in return.

I fail to see how you can consider that a knock against WS. If anything, it should be a pretty substantial knock against AC for charging mainline prices while delivering substantially less than mainline service.

tcook052 Nov 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ (Post 30469150)

Yeah, I mean who doesn't mind paying Air Canada prices for Rouge flights? ;) Not everyone is happy that the line between the two gets blurred which definitely won't be the case at WS with Swoop since they are operated completely separately.

HomerJ Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am

I've only flown Rouge thru A/C Vacations and it was a very good last minute deal...so have no idea what the flight vs. hotel costs were as it was all lumped together. Never flown them as just a stand alone flight, so had no idea they were comparable in pricing to the mainline AC.

Heffeh41 Nov 27, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Any Gold perks for Swoop?

So to summarize this thread, the perk for any Gold (or anyone in general) is cheaper fares.

tcook052 Nov 28, 2018 6:12 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ (Post 30471903)
I've only flown Rouge thru A/C Vacations and it was a very good last minute deal...so have no idea what the flight vs. hotel costs were as it was all lumped together. Never flown them as just a stand alone flight, so had no idea they were comparable in pricing to the mainline AC.

That's the common refrain about Rouge, that's it's a LCC only for the airline and not to the flying public as when AC switches routes from mainline to Rouge fares do not drop.

Frequentlander Nov 28, 2018 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 30475261)
That's the common refrain about Rouge, that's it's a LCC only for the airline and not to the flying public as when AC switches routes from mainline to Rouge fares do not drop.

This is exactly the case when PAX were "Rouged", in that they actually paid to travel on AC ML but ended up flying on Rouge. Rouge in Eco is a deal breaker for me so was mightily annoyed when they did it to us in the early days of Rouge. I saw the practice of "Rougeing" as very underhand and typified taking customers for granted.

AFAIK, this had not happened with SWOOP, ie no-one had paid to fly WS and had the route Swooped. Of course, I may be wrong, and I stand to be corrected.

HomerJ Nov 29, 2018 9:41 am

No but I do know WJ mainline stepped in...

Originally Posted by Frequentlander (Post 30476691)
This is exactly the case when PAX were "Rouged", in that they actually paid to travel on AC ML but ended up flying on Rouge. Rouge in Eco is a deal breaker for me so was mightily annoyed when they did it to us in the early days of Rouge. I saw the practice of "Rougeing" as very underhand and typified taking customers for granted.

AFAIK, this had not happened with SWOOP, ie no-one had paid to fly WS and had the route Swooped. Of course, I may be wrong, and I stand to be corrected.

...when some Swoop flights got cancelled.

Frequentlander Nov 29, 2018 11:29 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ (Post 30479836)
...when some Swoop flights got cancelled.

So what do we call this? Un-Swooping, De-Swooping, A reverse Swoop?

Lines are open, operators standing by.......