Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using / transferring westjet dollars due to trip cancellation

Old Nov 22, 18, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hi all. I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend and co-worker.

He booked a trip with Westjet to Mexico, and then unfortunately contracted a serious illness from which he is recovering. He is still not cleared to travel by his doctor so he had to cancel the trip. He says that he purchased trip cancellation insurance, but Westjet paid the insurance out in Westjet dollars. The email he received said

Hello Mr. XXXXXXX
A credit has been processed and issued to your Travel Bank.
You can access your Travel Bank credits by signing into your WestJet Rewards account at www.westjet.com/account. If you donít already have a WestJet Rewards account, one will be created for you and youíll receive an email shortly with more information and your WestJet Rewards ID thatís required to sign in.
Travel Bank: XXXXXXXX
Travel Bank refund: 3258.80
When a booking is cancelled, and the original form of payment for that booking included Travel Bank credits or WestJet dollars, the original expiry date(s) for the credits/dollars will remain. Any additional credits will be given an expiry date of one year from the date issued.Travel Bank credits can be used to pay for future travel with WestJet, excluding WestJet Vacations packages and service fees (like kennels, seat selection, excess baggage or flight changes/cancellations). You can redeem your Travel Bank credits by signing in to your WestJet Rewards account at www.westjet.com/account before booking or making changes to your flights.For more information about fraudulent transactions involving WestJet Travel Bank credits for sale, please visit www.westjet.com
He is unlikely to spend $3,300 with Westjet in the next year, but our company regularly books flights for employees with Westjet, and we are willing to buy the credit off him, if we can figure out a way to use it towards flights for our employees. Does anybody have any advice on the best way to do this?

Thanks

Dave
Old Nov 22, 18, 10:03 pm

That isn't a statement about insurance, it is a credit Westjet gives you for the fare in a "Travel Bank" (not Westjet $) less the change/cancellation fee. The insurance would cover the change/cancel fee AND possibly get the fare back in actual cash instead of a credit.

See the faq here about travel bank/travel credits:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/contac...travel-credits
Old Nov 23, 18, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
Hi all. I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend and co-worker.

He booked a trip with Westjet to Mexico, and then unfortunately contracted a serious illness from which he is recovering. He is still not cleared to travel by his doctor so he had to cancel the trip. He says that he purchased trip cancellation insurance, but Westjet paid the insurance out in Westjet dollars. The email he received said

He is unlikely to spend $3,300 with Westjet in the next year, but our company regularly books flights for employees with Westjet, and we are willing to buy the credit off him, if we can figure out a way to use it towards flights for our employees. Does anybody have any advice on the best way to do this?

Thanks

Dave
​​​​​​Can I use my Travel Bank credits to pay for travel for another guest?
Yes, and that’s a pretty awesome way to use them. WestJet guests with a Travel Bank credit may apply it to another guest's booking by signing in to their WestJet Rewards account before making a booking. Once signed in, select the desired flight and continue to the payment step. If there is a Travel Bank credit available, an option will be visible to apply the credit. There will also be a drop-down menu with the option to "Enter guest not on my profile".

How can I transfer my Travel Bank credits?
Travel Bank credits can only be transferred through our contact centre. Please contact us at 1-888-937-8538. We'll be happy to help.

People should buy travel insurance from insurance companies. This is just a credit for a cancelled flight net of whatever WS skims off the top on changes. Or buy refundable fares. This amount is so large I am surprised it is not refundable unless it was for a few people. Flex Plus to Costa Rica from Toronto has only cost me at most $2,300 so this is one pricey ticket that has no refund allowed.

Has he/have checked to see if there is actually cancellation insurance as well?

Search this Thread