What counts as qualified spend?

Old Nov 20, 18, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
What counts as qualified spend?

The WestJet sites says qualified spend is:

12-month spend on eligible flights and vacation packages (officially referred to as qualifying spend, and subject to the exclusions below) is one hundred per cent of the amount spent on eligible published base fares for WestJet-marketed flights flown by the member within a qualifying year and, effective August 20, 2018, twenty per cent of the individual portion of the base price of eligible WestJet Vacations packages booked and completed on or after the effective date. The following are not eligible toward qualifying spend: Basic fares, Member Exclusive fares, contracted fares, tour operator fares, WestJet Vacations spend for bookings made prior to August 20, 2018, WestJet Vacations group package bookings, partner-marketed flights, partner bookings made on westjet.com, gift cards, taxes, fees, charges, any portion paid with WestJet dollars or any other reward program redemption. See WestJet Rewards terms and conditions for more details.

So it would seem to me if you bought a code share on, say, Delta, with a WS flight number operated by Delta, it would be considered a "WestJet-marketed flight". However, reservations has told me it's the operating carrier that matters. Seems off to me, Anyone booked a codeshare operated by a partner and got the spend credited?
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
The WestJet sites says qualified spend is:

12-month spend on eligible flights and vacation packages (officially referred to as qualifying spend, and subject to the exclusions below) is one hundred per cent of the amount spent on eligible published base fares for WestJet-marketed flights flown by the member within a qualifying year and, effective August 20, 2018, twenty per cent of the individual portion of the base price of eligible WestJet Vacations packages booked and completed on or after the effective date. The following are not eligible toward qualifying spend: Basic fares, Member Exclusive fares, contracted fares, tour operator fares, WestJet Vacations spend for bookings made prior to August 20, 2018, WestJet Vacations group package bookings, partner-marketed flights, partner bookings made on westjet.com, gift cards, taxes, fees, charges, any portion paid with WestJet dollars or any other reward program redemption. See WestJet Rewards terms and conditions for more details.

So it would seem to me if you bought a code share on, say, Delta, with a WS flight number operated by Delta, it would be considered a "WestJet-marketed flight". However, reservations has told me it's the operating carrier that matters. Seems off to me, Anyone booked a codeshare operated by a partner and got the spend credited?
Not so with AC Aeroplan: for AQD (spend) it has to been AC metal or AC ticketed stock (014) booked on Air Canada. The AQM (miles) are credited for status with AC when you fly on any Star Alliance airline. Do a fare bit of UA flights, the miles count but not the dollars (spend). In your case most likely it would have to be WS ticketed stock for the $$ to count.

Last edited by james dean; Nov 21, 18 at 2:35 pm Reason: clarify
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Yes, Aeroplan is quite clear. But no one can answer this question about WestJet. Note this is the equivalent of buying a code share on 014 stock operated by UA. AC would count as AQD, it is unclear if WS does the same for flights it markets but does not operate.
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:12 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
Yes, Aeroplan is quite clear. But no one can answer this question about WestJet. Note this is the equivalent of buying a code share on 014 stock operated by UA. AC would count as AQD, it is unclear if WS does the same for flights it markets but does not operate.
Ah ok got it, WS should be able to answer this as it is important for those gaining status. It would seem reasonable if the codeshare was on WS ticket stock you should get the $$ credit.
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james dean View Post
Ah ok got it, WS should be able to answer this as it is important for those gaining status. It would seem reasonable if the codeshare was on WS ticket stock you should get the $$ credit.
Reasonable yes - but no one can confirm!
Old Nov 26, 18, 6:48 pm

Aerobod where are you......
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:35 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Reasonable? Seems so, to me at least. But is that not the point where simple "codeshare" ends and "full alliance member" begins? It seems a grey area, I'd also love to hear some clarification on this. Aerobod? Help! LOL!
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:59 pm

From the more detailed terms and conditions. (Section 7 here: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/terms-conditions):
“Qualifying Spend arising from the purchase of a WestJet Eligible Fare for a WestJet-Marketed Flight will be prorated amongst all flown segments on the ticket according to IATA prorate standards.”

The reason WestJet qualifying has (to this point) been just marketing carrier related is due to the program being purely spend based. The credit for non-WestJet operated segments is sorted by the IATA prorate that also determines the amount of money on a given ticket that is exchanged between the marketing and operating carrier, so effectively the qualifying spend is directly related to the revenue generated on a given ticket, a very fair method of accrual.

This being said, I may be off due to any recent changes and my go-to person in this area also no longer works there, so my info should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:10 am

If what is described (small print: grain of salt) then it's fair only to WS not the alliance pax who buys a a ticket on WS stock but the flight is flown on an alliance carrier. Also if the spend is prorated, how the heck is one supposed to know what is credited for spend. Better of to amend this to the KISS system!
Hopefully that is what is or will be soon done...

Last edited by james dean; Nov 27, 18 at 7:11 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 27, 18, 9:21 am

If what is described (small print: grain of salt) then it's fair only to WS not the alliance pax who buys a a ticket on WS stock but the flight is flown on an alliance carrier. Also if the spend is prorated, how the heck is one supposed to know what is credited for spend. Better of to amend this to the KISS system!
Hopefully that is what is or will be soon done...
it depends on the rules for the alliance carrier, too, so WestJet as marketing carrier will give you prorated qualifying spend on the ticket for the segments on the alliance carrier, but the operating alliance carrier could give you qualifying spend/miles in their program too, would have to consult that carriers rules to determine. Although the IATA prorate is not publicly available, the operating carrier will normally retain quite a bit more of the revenue on a segment than the marketing carrier.
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:20 am
Original Poster

My biggest concern with WS's reward program is that it is virtually impossible for me to get status from them, even though I should be their target: I don't fly as much as some folks, but when I do, the spend is high. It's often last minute or premium fares. The problem is it's almost all trans-border, which means I can't fly WS metal all the time even from YYC. I do when I can, but WS's transborder network is limited.
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:46 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Qualifying spend is 100 per cent of the amount spent on eligible published base fares for WestJet-marketed flights. A WestJet-marketed flight is any flight that has a WS carrier code preceding the flight number. The flight may be operated by WestJet or a partner airline. Regardless of which carrier operates it, if the flight number starts with WS and you have purchased an eligible published fare, you will earn WestJet dollars and qualifying flight spend.

This information is found on the WestJet Rewards FAQ’s here under “Earning WestJet dollars – What does annual qualifying spend mean?” and “Earning WestJet dollars – What qualifies as a WestJet-marketed flight?”
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WestJet View Post
Qualifying spend is 100 per cent of the amount spent on eligible published base fares for WestJet-marketed flights. A WestJet-marketed flight is any flight that has a WS carrier code preceding the flight number. The flight may be operated by WestJet or a partner airline. Regardless of which carrier operates it, if the flight number starts with WS and you have purchased an eligible published fare, you will earn WestJet dollars and qualifying flight spend.

This information is found on the WestJet Rewards FAQ’s here under “Earning WestJet dollars – What does annual qualifying spend mean?” and “Earning WestJet dollars – What qualifies as a WestJet-marketed flight?”
HOORAY! Please educate the agents, this is very unclear to the front line staff!
Old Nov 27, 18, 10:54 am
Original Poster

From your FAQ, this is what confused the agent:

partner bookings made on westjet.com are not eligible as qualified spend. If operated by Delta with a WS code, is it a WS marketed flight operated by Delta, or a Delta flight booked on westjet.com? Can you give an example of what this means ("partner booking made on westjet.com?")
Old Nov 27, 18, 11:03 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
We will review the wording online to ensure it is clear for all. Here's what you need to know:
  • WestJet marketed, Delta operated flights are eligible.
  • Delta marketed, WestJet operated flights are not eligible.
It doesn’t matter as much where the flight is booked, but who the marketing carrier is, so look for the WS (or WestJet) flight number, not a partner flight number (like DL, etc) on the itinerary. If you book through a 3rd party site, pay close attention to the flight number as you could potentially see the exact same flights available 2x, with one marketed by WS and one marketed by DL (or another partner).
Arthurrs and YXUFlyboy like this.

Last edited by WestJet; Nov 27, 18 at 1:02 pm

Search this Thread