Seat selection charge at T-24?

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Seat selection charge at T-24?

Daughter travelled home for reading week YWG-YYC - when checking her in, WS asked for a seat selection fee of $18, even though we were well within the 24 hour limit. Is this something new and unwelcome?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My guess is she had a Basic fare.(cheapest) ticket

12 A Basic fare will have a seat assigned during check in; guests have the option to move to another seat for an additional fee at time of check in. In the event a seat number is not automatically generated after checking in, a seat will be assigned a
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Was she picking a premium seat? For that there is a charge. Others are free at T-24.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Looks like wife booked basic - I didn’t even realize WS offered that.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Really?!? Basic fare doesn’t include seat selection with on line check in? Is on line check in still available with this fare? That is truly nickel and diming.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
Really?!? Basic fare doesn’t include seat selection with on line check in? Is on line check in still available with this fare? That is truly nickel and diming.
With their Basic fare, you get a seat on the plane, but it’s assigned automatically from remaining inventory. If you want to change it - even at check-in - you pay the seat selection fee.

But with their regular Econo fare, you can choose any seat at time of check-in.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Is this still the case with the new preferred seats?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Good question. At T-24 (on an Econo fare), I think they’re all available ... but don’t know for sure! Can anyone confirm?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

With their Basic fare, you get a seat on the plane, but it’s assigned automatically from remaining inventory. If you want to change it - even at check-in - you pay the seat selection fee.

WIth the new Super Ultra Basic even cheaper fare you get a seat on the airplane, literally on it, like a horse.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I wonder how this applies to the seats classed as undesirable that were formally able to be booked for free anytime after booking.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Error 601
Is this still the case with the new preferred seats?
I don't believe so as I understand on an Econo fare only the regular economy seats may be assigned at time of OLCI without charge.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Sigh... I feel like I saw this coming when Aerobod mentioned that the reconfigured rows at the front of the plane would have a more legroom. Although Air Canada must have eliminated this five years ago or more.

Although like with basic economy in the US this just incentives checking in at the last possible moment to get a better seat assigned.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:43 am

Worst seat preassigned by Westjet basic economy - for everyone?

I just went to check in for my flight and had been preassigned the window seat in the last row by the washroom. In reviewing Trip adviser, another passenger reported that for their flight, they also had been pre-assigned the exact same seat. Do all basic economy passengers get assigned the exact same worst seat as an incentive to pay for a seat change? Is westjet encouraging passengers to check in later, after somebody has accepted the assigned seat? Any other stories like this?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pam Caswill
I just went to check in for my flight and had been preassigned the window seat in the last row by the washroom. In reviewing Trip adviser, another passenger reported that for their flight, they also had been pre-assigned the exact same seat. Do all basic economy passengers get assigned the exact same worst seat as an incentive to pay for a seat change? Is westjet encouraging passengers to check in later, after somebody has accepted the assigned seat? Any other stories like this?
The Basic Economy seat assignment will be based on least desirable seats (likely from historic information on the last seats to be chosen from online check-in). Most likely middle seats first when both aisle and window have been taken in a row, then back rows with no recline next, if no orphaned middle seats are available. The idea is that those who have a non-Basic ticket will be left with more desirable seats no matter when they check-in, vs the Basic ticket holders are receiving a discount to take the least desirable seats, but can upgrade if they are willing to pay.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
The Basic Economy seat assignment will be based on least desirable seats (likely from historic information on the last seats to be chosen from online check-in). Most likely middle seats first when both aisle and window have been taken in a row, then back rows with no recline next, if no orphaned middle seats are available. The idea is that those who have a non-Basic ticket will be left with more desirable seats no matter when they check-in, vs the Basic ticket holders are receiving a discount to take the least desirable seats, but can upgrade if they are willing to pay.
I flew on an economy fare two weeks ago from LGW-YYZ on the 763. I could pay to pick my seats but opted not too.
I checked in and was 008 in sequence and was assigned 16 H,K. One of the worst seats in my opinion. There was no other pair seats left on the whole plane.
If your theory was true, those seats would have been given to Basic Economy ticket holders. Since I was 8th to check in, i doubt hundreds of people paid for seats so was a bit miffed they put me in those two seats.
However I gambled by not paying for my seats in advance and I lose that gamble. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.