Pre-purchasing food suspended

Old Nov 7, 18, 10:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 905
Pre-purchasing food suspended

Per a WestJetter, they’ve just stopped their “pre-purchase” program, for flights from Nov 15 onward.

They expect they’ll launch a new pre-purchase program next summer. Until then, we'll be limited to buy-on-board only.

No confirmation if this also extends to LGW and Hawaii passengers on the 767. Without being able to confirm a meal in advance, some people in economy could be pretty disappointed – unless WS starts stocking a lot more food for their buy-on-board.
FlyerJ is offline  
Old Nov 7, 18, 11:42 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,390
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
No confirmation if this also extends to LGW and Hawaii passengers on the 767. Without being able to confirm a meal in advance, some people in economy could be pretty disappointed – unless WS starts stocking a lot more food for their buy-on-board.
… or unless they continue with the Buy Off Board program they had last winter.
Sopwith is offline  
Old Nov 7, 18, 4:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,210
I've complained that their pre-purchase meals on LGW are a total rip off. They charge almost double for the same pre-purchase meals than buy-on-board, except throw in a side of apples and a pre arrival snack.

They also constantly run out of hot food. And won't heat up meals outside of their designated service times - so if you miss the sale or sleep through it, it's "sold out".
keitherson is offline  
Old Nov 7, 18, 4:16 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,210
Having said that, their meals compared to Norwegian and WOW are much cheaper, $9 CAD on board. However the quality is really cheap - watery Mac and Cheese tasted like an undercooked frozen TV dinner, microwavable pizza in a box, and the 1£ butter chicken from Tescos. To be fair, the butter chicken is good so get that (both the Tesco and Westjet version, possibly same supplier)!
keitherson is offline  
Old Nov 8, 18, 11:48 am
  #5  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,518
Also, all fresh BOB items (not pre-purchase) are being removed from all flights under 4 hours systemwide as of 15NOV.
Fisch is offline  
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 90
Westjet's onboard food strategy has been so poorly executed over the past few years. I'm surprised they can't get it right. The partnership with Chopped Leaf was a bust, Gate Gourmet is horribly inefficient and they can't seem to figure out their offerings now that Chopped Leaf is out of the picture. Their alignment of wide body offerings is not even close to being rectified and I'm not even sure if anyone is really working on 767 food.
calgaryhhr is offline  
Old Nov 8, 18, 12:51 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The World
Posts: 905
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
Westjet's onboard food strategy has been so poorly executed over the past few years.
What baffles me is why they'd just shut it all down, and leave nothing in its place for months and months while they work on a new food offering. Why not just keep the existing pre-purchase program and keep the existing fresh food in BOB (as limited as it is) up and running for now -- and then replace it with the 'new and improved' offering once it's ready to launch?

Instead, they're putting a big chunk of the food offering into limbo for many months -- which can only serve to hurt passenger satisfaction. Taking options away and saying "a replacement will come sometime next year" ain't exactly helping the on-board experience in the indefinite future.
FlyerJ is offline  
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:15 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
What baffles me is why they'd just shut it all down, and leave nothing in its place for months and months while they work on a new food offering. Why not just keep the existing pre-purchase program and keep the existing fresh food in BOB (as limited as it is) up and running for now -- and then replace it with the 'new and improved' offering once it's ready to launch?

Instead, they're putting a big chunk of the food offering into limbo for many months -- which can only serve to hurt passenger satisfaction. Taking options away and saying "a replacement will come sometime next year" ain't exactly helping the on-board experience in the indefinite future.
Cost cutting initiatives are hindering the ability for many groups and many projects to get things done. I believe that many groups in critical areas don't have an adequate number of talented people in place. The focus on cost cutting is likely crippling the food folks as I'm certain that one of their critical criteria is low cost and it is probably making it tough to get options put into place.
calgaryhhr is offline  
Old Nov 8, 18, 6:08 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Posts: 676
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
Cost cutting initiatives are hindering the ability for many groups and many projects to get things done. I believe that many groups in critical areas don't have an adequate number of talented people in place. The focus on cost cutting is likely crippling the food folks as I'm certain that one of their critical criteria is low cost and it is probably making it tough to get options put into place.
I realize I'm an outlier but I would not mind at all if they did away with the food altogether. WestJet's food offerings have only just reached into "OK" territory at the best of times. Maybe it's time to admit that it's not their core competence. Bringing my own food on would be little hardship and I can eat at either end fo the flight anyway. Admittedly, this would not be an option for most people, especially on TATL or to Hawaii.
Frequentlander is offline  
Old Nov 9, 18, 9:22 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,388
Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
I realize I'm an outlier but I would not mind at all if they did away with the food altogether. WestJet's food offerings have only just reached into "OK" territory at the best of times. Maybe it's time to admit that it's not their core competence. Bringing my own food on would be little hardship and I can eat at either end fo the flight anyway. Admittedly, this would not be an option for most people, especially on TATL or to Hawaii.
I think the TATL, Hawaii and longer domestic/sun routes are the issue. This is a problem that AirTransat, Sungwing and virtually every sun destination airline has solved.

WS problem is if they can't sort this out for economy, what are they going to do with an international business class cabin.
Fiordland is offline  
Old Nov 9, 18, 11:00 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 48,731
Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
WS problem is if they can't sort this out for economy, what are they going to do with an international business class cabin.
Maybe the economy BOB is being withdrawn now to standardize catering of all food items across all cabins when the new aircraft are introduced.
YYCguy likes this.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Nov 12, 18, 7:17 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,210
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Maybe the economy BOB is being withdrawn now to standardize catering of all food items across all cabins when the new aircraft are introduced.
This is almost as embarassing as Skytrax awarding Lufthansa for a business class cabin they didn't launch yet.
keitherson is offline  
Old Dec 31, 18, 6:09 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,390
Oh...forgot about this. I just went looking for a prepurchase option and ... nada.

What is the recent experience? Are they stocking more food? I’m interested in YVR-OGG next week.

Or do I partake in the Buy Off Board program?
Sopwith is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 3:52 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 609
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Oh...forgot about this. I just went looking for a prepurchase option and ... nada.

What is the recent experience? Are they stocking more food? I’m interested in YVR-OGG next week.

Or do I partake in the Buy Off Board program?
I would highly recommend purchasing a lovely meal from one of the YVR airport food vendors, as the food availability on board is limited..
tcook052 likes this.
YYCguy is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 5:08 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 9,490
On board food and beverage service is an area where AC differentiates itself from WS in a very significant way.
Altaflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread