Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

B.C. man kicked off WestJet flight after falling asleep before takeoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B.C. man kicked off WestJet flight after falling asleep before takeoff

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by aerobod
MedLink also has physicians who are used as necessary, but my understanding is that the initial diagnosis by a nurse is driven by a sophisticated medical diagnosis platform from Tempus.

Any sleeping pill should allow a person to be roused and responsive if there is a reason to rouse them, if still groggy and a bit disorientated. It is a matter of what other factors are also present that may indicate a problem. Much like the consumption of alcohol is the norm, but there is a line where a person is too inebriated to be allowed to fly. The crew doesn't want to offload a passenger due to the disruption and the extra work it causes them, but they also don't want to be dealing with an emergency once in flight, yes, it is a tough decision.
Excellent analysis!!
Especially on the booze comment...
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Medlink directions override crew/EMS/Doctor on board decisions. So we don’t have the complete story here.
I would hope that is not the case in an emergency. Someone at the other end of a phone who has an in-flight crew member (that is not medically trained as their eyes and ears) overriding an EMS or Doctor is directly interacting with the patient just seams like a disaster waiting to happen.

I can see Medlink as WS medical advisor making a decision in a non-emergency role.

Sounds like the passenger was accommodated (at their own expense on an Air Canada flight) the following day. Clearly AC is getting different medical advise that WS. Odd that WS simply did not re-book them onto AC.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:08 pm

Over the years I have noticed that WS seems to be a stickler for safety related processes (not a criticism). Whether it be making sure no one has headphones on during safety briefings or the exit rows are have all baggage completely stored underneath the seats. I really notice this after I have been flying on U.S. based airlines. As a result, the decison they made does not surprise me. If memory serves me correctly all the airlines use a service like Medilink.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I can see Medlink as WS medical advisor making a decision in a non-emergency role.
In an emergency situation in the air Medlink will work with the crew and any doctor on-board, they bring trained physicians and extensive remote diagnosis capabilities to bolster any on board capabilities to stabilize the patient as much as possible during a diversion.

This study concluded in the airlines they studied, there was a medical emergency on one in 604 flights, a doctor was onboard in just under half of flights and 7.3% of flights with a medical emergency were diverted: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3740959/ This would correlate with about one flight per day at WestJet with a medical emergency and an in-flight diversion due to a medical emergency about every two weeks.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:52 pm

As it was a 4 hour flight with about 50% over water, they would need to make a decision on whether he was medically fit to fly, bearing in mind a diversion could take an hour or more to the nearest airport.
Not to many points along the route that are more than 30 minutes from a diversion airport. 30 minutes isn't that much longer than the time it takes to descend from cruising altitude to a normal landing.

... there was a medical emergency on one in 604 flights, a doctor was onboard in just under half of flights...
Considering doctors represent less than 1% of the population?, these guys go to way to many conferences.

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Sounds like the passenger was accommodated (at their own expense on an Air Canada flight) the following day.
That's not how I would define being "accommodated."
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA
From the article:

”Once on board, he fell asleep in the lap of his wife, Josefa Sapelino.”

Having never taken Westjet — how would that be possible for a grown adult to fall asleep in the lap of another adult.
What position was he in?

I have fallen asleep waiting for take off— but never in the lap of another person.

AnI have seen people (ie family) after taking a certain sleeping pill and they may think they are alert — but they are certainly still under the influence.

Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arttravel
Having never taken Westjet — how would that be possible for a grown adult to fall asleep in the lap of another adult.
What position was he in?
Apparently it is possible as this woman demonstrated on my recent Alitalia flight.
Substitute a lap for the middle seat table et voila...

Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

In an emergency situation in the air Medlink will work with the crew and any doctor on-board, they bring trained physicians and extensive remote diagnosis capabilities to bolster any on board capabilities to stabilize the patient as much as possible during a diversion.

This study concluded in the airlines they studied, there was a medical emergency on one in 604 flights, a doctor was onboard in just under half of flights and 7.3% of flights with a medical emergency were diverted: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3740959/ This would correlate with about one flight per day at WestJet with a medical emergency and an in-flight diversion due to a medical emergency about every two weeks.
My point is in a medical emergency, the concept that this Medilink service would override the judgment of a doctor or EMS personal in direct contact with the patient is scary to say the least. If they are the only option, then yes they provide the best judgment.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I understood Medilink is mainly for inflight use. While on the ground (at the gate) the airport paramedics would be the best course of action & of course an on board Doctor/Nurse. Since this is making the New Cycle now (Global BC) it seems the pax is intent on getting some retribution from WS. From the Global report his biggest complaint was being embarrassed by the airline.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:07 am

Indeed while Medlink is a useful resource inflight, it can also be used for a “fit to fly” gate screen.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
Apparently it is possible as this woman demonstrated on my recent Alitalia flight.

Wife's lap would not be 12" high. It is obvious dude had armrest up and passed out on another pax, pinning her down should quick egress be needed. It's possible that not only did the crew want him awake, but they wanted the armrest down and his head not in a woman's lap... Woman seemed to want his head there... If it wasn't a sleeping pill but it was a ton of booze preflight, I would expect the same: refusal to fly. Five minutes to cogent alertness is well outside the 90-second window expected for evac. Last thing I want is some big dude flopping in the aisle when the rest of us are attempting expedited egress.

When a medical professional states a pax is fit to fly, does it mean the flight stresses won't cause heart or brain meltdown midflight, or that s/he will be able to perform appropriate steps for evac? I trust medical professionals for the former, airline crew for the latter.

When a blind person is flying I've noticed crew explicitly instructing the pax to stay seated during emergency and someone will assist. I actually think this is for other paxs' safety as much as it's necessary for the blind person. While I'm always impressed how such pax have managed to walk unassisted to lavatories, I would not want to see them attempt to disembark in an irrop condition.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by arttravel
AnI have seen people (ie family) after taking a certain sleeping pill and they may think they are alert — but they are certainly still under the influence.
​​​​​​It's kinda like how a drunk guy thinks he's the wittiest... Alc or narcs, one might not die flying (fit to fly), but airline can refuse transport. I see no issues with this, and my handle here is DrunkCargo.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:14 pm

This story is now starting to circulate on the US news cycle...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by SFO777

That does not look so comfortable — maybe time for me to enroll in yoga classes. Will be on a LH flight soon, probably will not try this on the flight.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by trek604
As always CBC sides with the passenger. I agree with you guys above there likely is more to this story...
it's better for the common good to side with the passenger than with a for-profit corporation that only cares about margins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.