Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Launches YYC-ATL (Dailly), Seasonal YYZ-BCN and YYT-FLL

Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum

CALGARY, Oct. 30, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced it is expanding choice and connectivity for Calgarians when the airline begins operations between Calgary International Airport (YYC) and Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) next spring.

"WestJet is proud to expand on vital trade and tourism linkages between Western Canada and the southeastern United States," said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. "Non-stop, year-round flights from Calgary to Atlanta connect two major markets in North America and grow opportunities for trade and tourism."
Full details here: WestJet to offer non-stop Atlanta service from Calgary - Oct 30, 2018

CALGARY, Oct. 30, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced it will be adding Barcelona to its growing presence in Europe with three-times weekly, non-stop service between Toronto and Barcelonastarting May 24, 2019 through October 21, 2019.

"In summer 2019 WestJet will provide even more access between Canada and Europe as we continue to expand our international network," said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. "The addition of flights to Barcelona, an important European cruise hub, offers our business and leisure guests convenient flight times and one-stop flight connections from Canada via our Toronto hub."
Full details here: Buenos días, Barcelona - Oct 30, 2018

CALGARY, Oct. 30, 2018 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced the addition of non-stop service from St. John's to Fort Lauderdale this winter. Service is available on a limited basis and starts March 11, 2019 through May 13, 2019.

"WestJet knows that the community of St. John's embraces Florida in the winter," said Brian Znotins, WestJet Vice-President Network Planning, Alliances and Corporate Development. "Along with our seasonal service to Tampa and Orlando, we are pleased to provide convenient, non-stop service to sunny Fort Lauderdale for those looking to jet south for warm air, beaches or cruising this winter."
Full details here: WestJet warms up winter for St. John's - Oct 30, 2018
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
It’s easy to understand why people in YYT would want to go to FLL in the winter. It’s less easy to understand that there would be enough of them to fill an airplane on a given day. Also hard to understand the two month schedule, starting 10 days before winter is over and going for only two months. I expect it has to do with availability of aircraft, but I don’t see this as a big money maker.

Or maybe their target market is Floridians who’ve never seen an iceberg?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm sure aircraft availability is a factor for the YYT-FLL flights. Note that it is only once a week, so it probably won't be that hard to fill. I wonder if it is timed to line up with cruise ship schedules?

Newfoundland schools get a week for Easter break in mid-late April, so this schedule covers that break. But it isn't early enough to cover MUN's spring break.

The YYC-ATL route is great news for people looking to connect at Delta's big hub.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
The ATL flight is good news for YVR-based people in the mining business who have to get to JNB. The WS flight arrives more or less at the perfect time to connect to the DL ATL-JNB flight. YVR-ATL would be better but I'll keep my fingers crossed that if the YYC-ATL works out, they will add a non-stop from YVR.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
I was excited to see BCN because I was thinking of taking a cruise from the city. Then I remember Westjet doesn't serve meals in economy class on their 767. If pricing is similar to AC / Air Transat then I will probably consider them first. It may be far from delicious but at least they serve you some food.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Agincourt
I was excited to see BCN because I was thinking of taking a cruise from the city. Then I remember Westjet doesn't serve meals in economy class on their 767. If pricing is similar to AC / Air Transat then I will probably consider them first. It may be far from delicious but at least they serve you some food.
Westjet does indeed serve meals in the main cabin, you just have to pay for it. And when you pre purchase a hot meal, I feel it’s value added, because you get a dinner roll, some fruit and a sweet snack (followed by a pre landing snack).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
The ATL flight is good news for YVR-based people in the mining business who have to get to JNB.
Which is better?
WS 6:00 depature YVR-YYC pre clear US Customs ATL-JNB
or
DL 6:00 departure pre clear US Customs YVR-SEA-ATL-JNB
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by tracon
Which is better?
WS 6:00 depature YVR-YYC pre clear US Customs ATL-JNB
or
DL 6:00 departure pre clear US Customs YVR-SEA-ATL-JNB
Just another option.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YYCguy

Westjet does indeed serve meals in the main cabin, you just have to pay for it. And when you pre purchase a hot meal, I feel it’s value added, because you get a dinner roll, some fruit and a sweet snack (followed by a pre landing snack).
B787 and B767 overseas flights will be moving to comp meals in all classes in 2019 in time for B787 launch.
cedric, YYCguy and Fiordland like this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy

And I just found out that the pre purchase program is going away for the time being. So my above comment is a moot point now.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by Agincourt
and one must also factor into the price that westjet charges for checked baggage on these flights. Last I travelled AC does not.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:35 pm

Rouge is the direct competition on the YYZ-BCN route. The Basic Rouge ticket does not include meals or checked bags in the price.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
Rouge is the direct competition on the YYZ-BCN route. The Basic Rouge ticket does not include meals or checked bags in the price.
Wrong. Rouge to Europe certainly includes a complimentary hot meal. I've received it before, and it says so right on their website.

The race to the bottom is 100% being led by WestJet.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Fisch
B787 and B767 overseas flights will be moving to comp meals in all classes in 2019 in time for B787 launch.
Are you sure about this? I was told by one of the Westjet folks involved with the realignment of aircraft and seat classes that the eventual goal is to align 767 and 787 but it is not a priority. For example it was mentioned that if a passenger books a YYC-LGW flight on the 787 they will receive a comp meal but if they return connecting through YYZ on the 767 there will not be a comp meal included on the 767.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Wrong. Rouge to Europe certainly includes a complimentary hot meal. I've received it before, and it says so right on their website.

The race to the bottom is 100% being led by WestJet.
In this screenshot for next year, when selecting Rouge Basic Economy, it states in the Features box on the left "enjoy delicious snacks, drinks and meals for purchase". Times change, people who want the lowest fare lose the ability to make any changes or cancel (even for a fee); checked baggage, hot meals and advanced seat selection all have extra fees. Other fare classes include what you have expected in the past, so it is a case of choice now on Air Canada and WestJet, prices are lower than ever when adjusted for inflation especially TATL, not a race to the bottom. You may get a complimentary continental breakfast with Rouge Basic Economy, but not a hot meal for free:
Heffeh41 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.