Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet getting greedy.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat premier, Visa Infinite, Amex Plat
Westjet getting greedy.

We fly YYZ to Aruba often. Westjet seems to be consistently $300 a head more than Air Canada. I hate to fly A/C, but will.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:53 pm

A merchant will only be as greedy as the customer is stupid.
Sunbum and manually like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:04 pm

Since I could readily find the opposite, I'd suggest the demand and inventory of each carrier on particular dates is quite volatile. The fares WITHIN both of AC and Westjet fluctuate by several $100's, so pick the carrier that provides the lowest fare on the day of interest.

A very simply supply-demand issue - there is absolutely NOT a consistent higher fare for this route on Westjet vs AC.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The OP did not specifically say it - on the one flight on the one date that I wanted it was more on WS, therefore it is more on all dates for all flights for all people, but that's how people generalize. About airline fares, the least "generalizable" product or service on Earth.
I bet a scan of fares on EF or other GDS will reveal a myriad of prices depending on fare bases available and dates and such. But clouding the issue with facts deflates the claim and is not any fun.
If it doesn't, well, WS must think they make moolah on the route and have enough demand to boot - and then they earn $300 extra samoleons per "sucker" on 100+ seats which is fat city, income wise. Who would change that?
Cineplex is as much as 50% more than indy cinemas showing first run flicks, often with more movie friendly staff and atmosphere yet people jam Cineplex to the watch each other look at Facebook and listen to each other yap endlessly in the dark all who pay more for everything from admission to munchies.
I'd pay more to avoid coach Rouge or not go, that may be part of the reasoning for all these dupes that must exist, $300 per dupe 24/7/365.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.