Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Rewards launches Platinum Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet Rewards launches Platinum Status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold; WJ Gold
Originally Posted by Troubler

From the platinum section of the WestJet site:

“We’re excited to bring you even more enhancements in 2019, including enhanced lounge benefits, additional priority services, the introduction of a comprehensive upgrade program, and more. Love where you’re going with WestJet Rewards.”

Sounds like there’s more happening in regards to upgrades, lounge access etc.
I really hope there is. I've got to say, the Platinum benefits at the moment are peanuts compared to Delta Gold, let alone Platinum or Diamond. When I'm on Delta as a GM, I get free preferred seat selection at time of booking, 72hr early upgrade to comfort plus for free, and probably am batting ~30% upgrades into first for free. And, this isn't even on needing to buy a "flexible" ticket - it's /any/ kind of ticket other than Basic.

The one time I got a free drink in econo as a Gold was mind-blowing... something as simple as recognizing a frequent traveler, even if they aren't going to offer free upgrades like their competition. And now even that's gone.

At the moment, the WJ benefits are really paltry. A handful of seat selection vouchers? Upgrades only if you purchase a more expensive fare class? I'm already purchasing non-basic to avoid those hassles... don't try to milk me up further on the /chance/ of an upgrade. I really want to see WJ become a viable airline for business travellers, but even platinum is incredibly weak... let alone Gold vs. other tiers.

If the WJ team is reading this, please please please pursue awesomeness, not least-viable-offering. Make us /want/ to fly you, not just take you because you're not Air Canada.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by juddstreet
I really hope there is. I've got to say, the Platinum benefits at the moment are peanuts compared to Delta Gold, let alone Platinum or Diamond. When I'm on Delta as a GM, I get free preferred seat selection at time of booking, 72hr early upgrade to comfort plus for free, and probably am batting ~30% upgrades into first for free. And, this isn't even on needing to buy a "flexible" ticket - it's /any/ kind of ticket other than Basic.

The one time I got a free drink in econo as a Gold was mind-blowing... something as simple as recognizing a frequent traveler, even if they aren't going to offer free upgrades like their competition. And now even that's gone.

At the moment, the WJ benefits are really paltry. A handful of seat selection vouchers? Upgrades only if you purchase a more expensive fare class? I'm already purchasing non-basic to avoid those hassles... don't try to milk me up further on the /chance/ of an upgrade. I really want to see WJ become a viable airline for business travellers, but even platinum is incredibly weak... let alone Gold vs. other tiers.

If the WJ team is reading this, please please please pursue awesomeness, not least-viable-offering. Make us /want/ to fly you, not just take you because you're not Air Canada.
There are several WS employees that read through this subforum and I really don't know what they were thinking coming out with these listed benefits. It was like they created a completely mediocre elite program to match their mediocre dollar-system currency.

It makes me really question whether their business class product will be up to international standards.

It sounds like they were more concerned about FT-types gaming an overly generous system and instead came out with something that fails to capture any imagination for a highly anticipated launch.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
There are several WS employees that read through this subforum and I really don't know what they were thinking coming out with these listed benefits. It was like they created a completely mediocre elite program to match their mediocre dollar-system currency.

It makes me really question whether their business class product will be up to international standards.

It sounds like they were more concerned about FT-types gaming an overly generous system and instead came out with something that fails to capture any imagination for a highly anticipated launch.
The sense that I get is that the leadership group at Westjet is overly cautious especially inlight of the last negative quarter and the massive cost savings that are being implemented. The Dreamliner expansion was a cautious play and Platinum status is a cautious play.

With regards to Platinum they certainly should be offering the moon to start with to try to entice premium and business travellers and overtime clawback some of the benefits. Instead they offering bargain basement benefits with the "promise" of offering more later. I don't have much hope for their lounge product which may come at some point in 2019.

There is a big focus on trying to attract the high dollar traveler but it doesn't look like they are taking the right steps.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
The way I read it, there is no mechanism to get into those J class Dreamliner seats by using WestJet Rewards benefits. If this is the case then they are a standalone. I can think of another airline that does not allow access to their premium offering via FF redemptions.

If I am right (and I fully realize I may not be), then they are touting their new J class service, and at the same time promoting major enhancements (their words not mine) in their FF program but you can't use the FF program to access their new premium offering.

Even if the 787 J seats required 2 companion certs and the 737/767s required only one, that would be something.

The way I am reading it, the new program is nothing special. I'll easily hit Platinum but what real difference is is going to make to me? Not much.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
With regards to Platinum they certainly should be offering the moon to start with to try to entice premium and business travellers and overtime clawback some of the benefits. Instead they offering bargain basement benefits with the "promise" of offering more later. I don't have much hope for their lounge product which may come at some point in 2019.
I don't know if I agree with this approach. If a company uses cutbacks, you'll appear as an airline which doesn't value their passengers, but rather focuses on their bottom line. Giving more over time isn't negative and won't cause customer backlash as benefits disappear. Customers who drive additional spend on WS to hit Platinum would be the most upset if the benefits they worked towards disappear.
YYCguy and eracerblue like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by zappy312
I don't know if I agree with this approach. If a company uses cutbacks, you'll appear as an airline which doesn't value their passengers, but rather focuses on their bottom line. Giving more over time isn't negative and won't cause customer backlash as benefits disappear. Customers who drive additional spend on WS to hit Platinum would be the most upset if the benefits they worked towards disappear.
Providing additional benefits over time is a great approach but where Westjet makes a misstep is in not offering enough incentive right from the start. As many have already mentioned this new program isn't enticing enough for loyal customers of the competition to switch and that is the business that Westjet is really targeting with recent changes.

No one likes when programs erode benefits but it is common place and expected over time. That is why I think it would be better now to offer more and try to build a new customer base faster as opposed to a slow build and offering more rewards over time.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
The way I read it, there is no mechanism to get into those J class Dreamliner seats by using WestJet Rewards benefits. If this is the case then they are a standalone. I can think of another airline that does not allow access to their premium offering via FF redemptions.

If I am right (and I fully realize I may not be), then they are touting their new J class service, and at the same time promoting major enhancements (their words not mine) in their FF program but you can't use the FF program to access their new premium offering.

Even if the 787 J seats required 2 companion certs and the 737/767s required only one, that would be something.

The way I am reading it, the new program is nothing special. I'll easily hit Platinum but what real difference is is going to make to me? Not much.
Completely agree. Minimum
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I have to be honest, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed. With the talk of the new FF program and enhanced benefits and the new business class etc etc ...... these announcements don't really meet the expectations that were built up. I'll still give Westjet a good chunk of my travel spend for the same reasons I already have .... decent service and better OTP than what their competition seems able to deliver. But these announcements aren't really enough to entice me to shift spending from DL, KL, AF and BA ... I had hoped otherwise.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
None of those changes mentioned are reflected on their website as of today. Will I get those benefits now if I cross the new threshold for Platinum? Will the milestone companion voucher at $2000 increments be given out now? I am hesitant to spend more with WJ if these changes don't come into effect until mid 2019.

Very disappointing if no way for Gold or Platinum to be able to enjoy the new J class using the rewards program.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
None of those changes mentioned are reflected on their website as of today. Will I get those benefits now if I cross the new threshold for Platinum? Will the milestone companion voucher at $2000 increments be given out now? I am hesitant to spend more with WJ if these changes don't come into effect until mid 2019.

Very disappointing if no way for Gold or Platinum to be able to enjoy the new J class using the rewards program.
No access to the J class seats form the FF program, will have the effect of driving the frequent flyers towards other carriers for that class of service.

If I want to go to CDG, I can hop on the non-stop YVR-CDG on AF. If I'm buying a J ticket, I can use my Delta Skypesos to bring a family member or friend along. If I were to select WS, we're both paying J. I kind of suspect that when WS realize what they have done here then perhaps the situation may change (note the use of multiple conditionals in that sentence).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:56 am

No access to the J class seats form the FF program, will have the effect of driving the frequent flyers towards other carriers for that class of service.

If I want to go to CDG, I can hop on the non-stop YVR-CDG on AF. If I'm buying a J ticket, I can use my Delta Skypesos to bring a family member or friend along. If I were to select WS, we're both paying J. I kind of suspect that when WS realize what they have done here then perhaps the situation may change (note the use of multiple conditionals in that sentence).
I expect as the ticket pricing and sales pattern for J class become well modelled, WS$ will be usable for those tickets, but expect that they will stay about 5x the price of the typical Econo ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
I expect as the ticket pricing and sales pattern for J class become well modelled, WS$ will be usable for those tickets, but expect that they will stay about 5x the price of the typical Econo ticket.
Until I saw this comment, I wasn't aware that I couldn't even use WS$ for the J ticket. I was working on the assumption that WS$ were fair/fare game for all paid tickets on WS mainline. It was not being able to use companion certs for the J seats that I found troubling. If I can't use WS$ either, I'll be lying flat on some other airlines planes. Not being able to use WS$ is actively discouraging me not to fly J on WS.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
So to clarify, WJ reward issued system wide companion fare voucher - buy one get one free - applies to business class as well?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
So to clarify, WJ reward issued system wide companion fare voucher - buy one get one free - applies to business class as well?
The whole point of the string of comments above is ....no it doesn't
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:47 pm

Until I saw this comment, I wasn't aware that I couldn't even use WS$ for the J ticket. I was working on the assumption that WS$ were fair/fare game for all paid tickets on WS mainline. It was not being able to use companion certs for the J seats that I found troubling. If I can't use WS$ either, I'll be lying flat on some other airlines planes. Not being able to use WS$ is actively discouraging me not to fly J on WS.
I worded it a incorrectly or too vaguely - should have said voucher or any other special ticket offering is 5x the cost, but there is nothing in the terms and conditions of the program that would restrict usage for WS$ on base J ticket purchase (not including the usual restrictions on taxes and fees). So for example, current voucher costs of $99, $299 & $399 depending on destination may become $499, $1599 and $1999 for J usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.