Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet Rewards launches Platinum Status

Westjet Rewards launches Platinum Status

Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by aerobod
I worded it a incorrectly or too vaguely - should have said voucher or any other special ticket offering is 5x the cost, but there is nothing in the terms and conditions of the program that would restrict usage for WS$ on base J ticket purchase (not including the usual restrictions on taxes and fees). So for example, current voucher costs of $99, $299 & $399 depending on destination may become $499, $1599 and $1999 for J usage.
OK. That helps a bit but.......

Not all of us have the WS credit card. I have the "threshold" vouchers - the ones you get for spending $6,000 then $10,000. My understanding is that there is no way to use these for the J product. But now it seems like I can use WS$, so that's something. Still flying AF to CDG though.

Not being able to use the companion vouchers in J (even for example at half value) is a major failing.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Until I saw this comment, I wasn't aware that I couldn't even use WS$ for the J ticket. I was working on the assumption that WS$ were fair/fare game for all paid tickets on WS mainline.
I seemed to be able to apply WSD when I was making a mock booking for LGW in June. Unfortunately WestJet was blindingly more expensive than Lufthansa operated by Air Canada in J to LHR. Shifting the days around the difference narrowed but WestJet was always the most expensive.

I wish them well but as I have always said I just don't see what they're offering that would shake anyone with Star Alliance loyalties loose.

Last edited by Error 601; Oct 15, 2018 at 2:50 pm Reason: auto-correct oops
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Not being able to use the companion vouchers in J (even for example at half value) is a major failing.
I think this will evolve in time. WestJet always has a fairly conservative launch to major initiatives, minimising unexpected outcomes and adverse effects on steady earnings. The normal approach is think big but start small, get the data then change as necessary. The fleet plan, destinations expansion, Rewards evolution, revenue growth, etc are all based on this steady growth approach.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:47 pm

I think this will evolve in time. WestJet always has a fairly conservative launch to major initiatives, minimising unexpected outcomes and adverse effects on steady earnings. The normal approach is think big but start small, get the data then change as necessary. The fleet plan, destinations expansion, Rewards evolution, revenue growth, etc are all based on this steady growth approach.
Meanwhile, I'll be flying with someone else in J.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Especially when their main competitor hasn't announced what Altitude 2.0 is going to look like, why would they throw everything they can in at the start? They can easily make iterative changes annually, Altitude already does that when announcing the next year's benefits.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:11 pm

Meanwhile, I'll be flying with someone else in J.
You may not fit into the target market the product is aimed at, but many people will. The product will be adjusted over time to make sure the cost / benefit produces the right returns, but it isn't going to fit everyone.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:39 pm

You may not fit into the target market the product is aimed at, but many people will. The product will be adjusted over time to make sure the cost / benefit produces the right returns, but it isn't going to fit everyone.
Your target market has been an Aeroplan devotee for the last twenty years, how does any of this entice them away?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
Your target market has been an Aeroplan devotee for the last twenty years, how does any of this entice them away?
To be clear, I retired from WestJet earlier this year, so don't represent the company.

The initial Rewards program only targeted Prestige members in 2009, then gradually added E35K and just touched on E50K up until recently. The recent announcements will likely target higher end E50K and perhaps some E75K, but I don't think many E75K or any SE100K will be reachable without more significant changes. Time will tell on who the complete target market will be. There are also other customers who are not business flyers who are targeted with WestJet Business Class, who are spending their own money, not corporate money and don't expect discounts or other loyalty perks, they just want comfortable travel.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:49 pm

To be clear, I retired from WestJet earlier this year, so don't represent the company.

The initial Rewards program only targeted Prestige members in 2009, then gradually added E35K and just touched on E50K up until recently. The recent announcements will likely target higher end E50K and perhaps some E75K, but I don't think many E75K or any SE100K will be reachable without more significant changes. Time will tell on who the complete target market will be. There are also other customers who are not business flyers who are targeted with WestJet Business Class, who are spending their own money, not corporate money and don't expect discounts or other loyalty perks, they just want comfortable travel.
I know a fair number of AP SEs that are just itching to jump ship and transfer they flying $ to the competition. WS and partners could try and snag some of those disaffected AC customers.. This FF enhancement package is not going to sway anyone that I know.
If WS were to join Skyteam, that would be a significant inducement. Being able to access the priciest/nicest seats would be another.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Providing additional benefits over time is a great approach but where Westjet makes a misstep is in not offering enough incentive right from the start. As many have already mentioned this new program isn't enticing enough for loyal customers of the competition to switch and that is the business that Westjet is really targeting with recent changes.

No one likes when programs erode benefits but it is common place and expected over time. That is why I think it would be better now to offer more and try to build a new customer base faster as opposed to a slow build and offering more rewards over time.
I think benefit erosion needs a longer timeframe than WestJet is working with. Having Platinum in 2019 and then changing all the benefits in 2020 when they realize it's costing them too much would be pretty ugly. In any case, I do agree that a more agressive program is needed which I hope we'll eventually see. My guess is that they might be waiting for the implementation of 2x2 J seats on their 737s and more of the 787 fleet to arrive before really pushing to target business customers. Right now the fleet is getting pretty segmented between blocked middle seats, 2x2 arriving before the end of the year and then 787s in early 2019.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
There are also other customers who are not business flyers who are targeted with WestJet Business Class, who are spending their own money, not corporate money and don't expect discounts or other loyalty perks, they just want comfortable travel.
Bingo. Tough for some FT junkies to understand
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:54 pm

The recent announcements will likely target higher end E50K and perhaps some E75K, but I don't think many E75K or any SE100K will be reachable without more significant changes.
Then I suppose we're on the same page more or less.

I honestly think where this is coming from is a desire not to set themselves up as a poor man's transatlantic J right out of the gate and obviously the 787 represents too great an investment to launch a race to the bottom with it. But how they connect with the premium traveler with what they're offering today is unclear to me.

I am personally spread too thin between three or four airlines in a given year to be valuable to any of them, but I know a lot of people who are way up there in Aeroplan and MileagePlus land and their attitude towards WestJet is generally positive but they will only fly WestJet if it is a non-stop flight at a better time and I don't think any of them are going to pay the fares WestJet is advertising today just to try out WestJet business class.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Talked to Gold line rep and was told Platinum benefits not officially in effect. What if you qualify for Platinum prior to official start date? Not sure if it will be retroactively applied. Hard to spend more money with them with so many unknown.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
As someone who spends a lot on flights a year and values a good program, still a waste and not attractive. I am currently gold with Air Canada and Silver with Delta. Why do i need WestJet?

WestJet needs to:

1. Join SkyTeam
2. Enter into more codeshares with Delta
3. Enter into more international codeshares with Air France/KLM. Ben Smith is there, should help.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 1:48 pm

The initial Rewards program only targeted Prestige members in 2009, then gradually added E35K and just touched on E50K up until recently. The recent announcements will likely target higher end E50K and perhaps some E75K, but I don't think many E75K or any SE100K will be reachable without more significant changes. Time will tell on who the complete target market will be.
I agree with this E50K vs WS Gold - functionally they don’t seem on par. But who cares? Unless you are a very specific segment of traveller, AC*G benefits are weak too. Most of the discussion has been on the ultra premium cabin, and ultra top end elites, but misses the masses... WS built a successful business for the masses.

There is a significant rewards program void for frequent short hauler, and WS could help fill this. Make upgrades and lounge passes transferable, at least some of them. I have 20 PPL passes a year from various sources - last year I was able to use 3. (Most of the MLL’s are mediocre, a weak benefit) I also have about 40 AC upgrade credits, of which I was able to use about 5. If I could wholly transfer my privileges to another person, this would make me feel infinitely better about my time away from home. A number of *A partners allow family accrual, so there is president, and it is doable.

I just learned above about the now defunct free drink for WS Golds... that’s a little on the right track. How about free seat selection on booking, free upgrades on availability 72hrs out (as above), free changes, etc. To be fair my experience has been pretty good, but is up to the discretion of the agent. Add in some better earning ratios, and we’re getting somewhere.

The void I speak of is real, and it’s tiresome to hear about SE’s which spent a fraction of the time and $ I do to/from/on AC planes, upgrading and sipping their champagne. Meanwhile I slog it out in segments and end up with *G I mostly can’t use. To put another way, in AC land, if they recognized me as a SE-short hopper, I would probably have less “cost” to them as an average E50K benefits, but I would feel better actually being able to gift away a low membership, and not pay ripoff rates for occasional redemptions. There are lessons for WS in this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.