Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet launches YYC-CDG, YYC-DUB, upgauges YYC-LGW

Westjet launches YYC-CDG, YYC-DUB, upgauges YYC-LGW

Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I'm surprised that LGW will be one of the first routes, especially out of YYC. I assumed the 763s would be used on more "leisure-oriented" flights without J, and the 789s would be used for more "business oriented" flights. YYC-LHR will have both AC and BA next summer, both of which offer big J cabins, strong alliances, lounges, etc (ie. likely more appealing options to business pax).
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
I'm surprised that LGW will be one of the first routes, especially out of YYC. I assumed the 763s would be used on more "leisure-oriented" flights without J, and the 789s would be used for more "business oriented" flights. YYC-LHR will have both AC and BA next summer, both of which offer big J cabins, strong alliances, lounges, etc (ie. likely more appealing options to business pax).
Landing slots pairs for LHR are currently about CDN$30m if they can be obtained by convincing another airline to sell them, so it is unlikely WestJet will want to make that investment, as it will add about $30 to every return ticket price if the slot cost is amortised over 10 years. I think 16 Business class seats are able to be sold for business users who's destination is London, as the Gatwick Express to Victoria has quicker Tube connections to the main business areas in London, than the Heathrow Express to Paddington, and the M23 moves better than the M4 if taking a car or limo into central London.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I thought they might be a little more aggressive with the business class fares since they ultimately need to shake loose loyal Air Canada premium travelers.

I will never understand the fixation with LHR, there is no force in the universe that would make me by my own free will step foot in there.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:15 pm

My tracked flight from LGW to YHZ jumped by 15% after the announcement today. Coincidence?

also, Im surprised the prices arent significantly cheaper than AC for J and PY. Opportunity missed there.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Error 601
I will never understand the fixation with LHR, there is no force in the universe that would make me by my own free will step foot in there.
Absolutely 100% agree.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Who do you think WestJet's core market is?

They need leisure destinations that have some business traffic. These Dreamliners are not going to Punta Cana. Dublin, Paris, and London make huge perfect sense. Not to mention feed in Paris from AF, and London being a focus city already. I'd expect Amsterdam to be on the radar.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
WestJet this week (around Tuesday 09OCT18) filed planned Boeing 787-9 international service, scheduled to enter long-haul routes from late-April 2019. The configuration of the 787-9 is J16W28Y260, based on seat map graphics in the GDS. The arrival of Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner also sees the airline launching new nonstop European flights from Calgary.
The cabin config for the WestJet seat map will be J16 (4 seats per row, rows 1-4), W28 (7 seats per row, rows 5-8), Y276 (9 seats per row, rows 9-24 & 26-39, 3 seats for rows 25 & 40), total seat capacity 320.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: AC 35k
What's most interesting about this announcement is it's not really aggressive at all. WS will still not exceed AC's widebody international traffic at AC's fourth largest hub (YYC) as they are running daily FRA, LHR on 789s or 77L (which run year round) and NRT on 763s up to daily in summer. These routes are still all seasonal (note also AC runs CDG and DUB from YVR seasonally). Presumably LGW goes back to 2x a week or some lesser capacity in winter (WS 1). Where will these birds go in W19?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold

They need leisure destinations that have some business traffic. These Dreamliners are not going to Punta Cana. Dublin, Paris, and London make huge perfect sense. Not to mention feed in Paris from AF, and London being a focus city already. I'd expect Amsterdam to be on the radar.
I think Westjet's core market is leisure pax - with a few business pax thrown in. Flying to Paris, for example, completely makes sense to me - popular tourist spot, no direct competition, business market, etc. Meanwhile with London, they're going to have to compete with AC and BA to lure those business pax, and I see that as a big challenge, especially if J fares match those carriers.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I think Westjet's core market is leisure pax - with a few business pax thrown in. Flying to Paris, for example, completely makes sense to me - popular tourist spot, no direct competition, business market, etc. Meanwhile with London, they're going to have to compete with AC and BA to lure those business pax, and I see that as a big challenge, especially if J fares match those carriers.
They are already flying to London, Dreamliner or not. Your argument makes no sense. They are already competing with AC and BA and are doing it at a profitable enough level to continue.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Paris will to be WS what FRA, is to AC. There is not a lot of local traffic heads from Calgary to these destinations it is all about connecting with partner airlines. AC is connecting into Lufthansa and WS is connecting with Air France.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
What's most interesting about this announcement is it's not really aggressive at all. WS will still not exceed AC's widebody international traffic at AC's fourth largest hub (YYC) as they are running daily FRA, LHR on 789s or 77L (which run year round) and NRT on 763s up to daily in summer. These routes are still all seasonal (note also AC runs CDG and DUB from YVR seasonally). Presumably LGW goes back to 2x a week or some lesser capacity in winter (WS 1). Where will these birds go in W19?
We think alike. My thoughts exactly.

I am trying to figure out where the 3 B789's will go from YYC in the winter... can you imagine when there are 10 of them?

My guess is 5x weekly LGW, 2x weekly CDG, 1x weekly DUB, and then a whole bunch of YYC-Hawaii-YVR-Hawaii-YYC rotations. 'cause, yeah, where else do you fly 320-seater aircraft from YYC to in the winter?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by YYC009
We think alike. My thoughts exactly.

I am trying to figure out where the 3 B789's will go from YYC in the winter... can you imagine when there are 10 of them?

My guess is 5x weekly LGW, 2x weekly CDG, 1x weekly DUB, and then a whole bunch of YYC-Hawaii-YVR-Hawaii-YYC rotations. 'cause, yeah, where else do you fly 320-seater aircraft from YYC to in the winter?
They won't base all 10 from YYC. I imagine YYZ gets the next set, then YVR last. I think what happens to the Europe routes in winter depends a lot on how well they do in summer. Reality is though, it doesn't make sense to fly 789s to Hawaii. This is a leisure route that could easily be served ex-YYC using a 7M8 (it has the range and does it now) and YVR can be served and has for years with narrowbody 737NGs. Possible they could shift the 767s back for this from YYZ and shift the 789s to YYZ, but who knows? Depends on so many things including what the DL JV does and what that will sell.

I could see WS 1 remaining daily (LGW) though throughout winter. If they did run them to Hawaii though - sweet, sign me up.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

They need leisure destinations that have some business traffic. These Dreamliners are not going to Punta Cana. Dublin, Paris, and London make huge perfect sense.
Agree that Paris and London make sense. Dublin - not so sure.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by The Lev
Agree that Paris and London make sense. Dublin - not so sure.
That was my first reaction to DUB but then remembered reading that tourism to Ireland is soaring, especially from N. America, up 8% Jan. - Aug. over previous year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.