Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet realigning all fare classes to include Business Class and Premium Economy

WestJet realigning all fare classes to include Business Class and Premium Economy

Old Sep 16, 18, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

As seen through partner Delta Air Lines,

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

Effective WestJet Mileage Earn On/After Sep. 20, 2018:

Business: J, C, D
Premium Economy: W, O, R

and changes in Economy classes as well.

Interestingly, still no 100% MQM on Discount Economy, although that might change if/when the Joint Venture is approved and implemented (this took about a year with Korean Air).

And weirdly, they are using T, K, L for Discount Economy which is the same class for Air Canada and many Star Alliance partners (United, Lufthansa, etc.)
Old Sep 18, 18, 9:57 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Anyone else find it ironic you can earn MQM on Delta flying on WestJet but can't earn qualifying spend (even at a discount) flying DL on WS? Do they want us to switch to SkyMiles?
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
Anyone else find it ironic you can earn MQM on Delta flying on WestJet but can't earn qualifying spend (even at a discount) flying DL on WS? Do they want us to switch to SkyMiles?
Patience ... I expect itíll come quite soon.
Old Sep 21, 18, 12:19 pm

Still waiting
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:49 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Realigning fares and classes - and introducing "real" J is all well and good but if WS doesn't have a network that provides what business travellers need then they might have a hard time getting people to pay those fares.
I just went to book YVR-YUL for next month and was (semi) surprised to find there are no non-stops on WS. So between two of the biggest cities in the country there is a monopoly on non-stops. This must be a decent yielding route -which is why AC has four a day; two wide-bodies and two 7 Max8s.

By comparison, WS offers me the choice of transferring in the perpetual construction site of YYC or YYZ T3 (shudder), for a longer journey time and the chance of a missed connection.

I like WS...but do I like it that much?
Old Oct 2, 18, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If they try calling Plus "J" or charging J prices for "J" (or C or D) while they still offer the 3 X 3 seats they are likely to see people wave at them through the windows of the AC flight they booked and paid for J on. (Or AV or CM or AA etc.)
Which means they will have a lot of PE seats on offer for the next two + years.
I like WS say to SJO but part of that like is that the Plus seats are cheaper than paying for the real J seats and service on Copa. Ditto to YVR. I am not paying WS AC's J prices for what is now Plus vs. flying on AC in J seats.
Old Oct 6, 18, 12:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
If they try calling Plus "J" or charging J prices for "J" (or C or D) while they still offer the 3 X 3 seats they are likely to see people wave at them through the windows of the AC flight they booked and paid for J on. (Or AV or CM or AA etc.)
I like WS say to SJO but part of that like is that the Plus seats are cheaper than paying for the real J seats and service on Copa. Ditto to YVR. I am not paying WS AC's J prices for what is now Plus vs. flying on AC in J seats.
Do we know what the timeline is for the entire fleet to be outfitted with the new J seats. They may also try to put the refurbished aircraft on certain routes, e.g. YVR-YYZ.
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Do we know what the timeline is for the entire fleet to be outfitted with the new J seats. They may also try to put the refurbished aircraft on certain routes, e.g. YVR-YYZ.

All 737s should be completed by the end of 2019
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

It seems for almost all of Europe people have no problem for that?
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson View Post

It seems for almost all of Europe people have no problem for that?
A lot of intra-Europe flights their business class is scarcely different from economy anyway and they pay next to nothing for a lot of fares unlike here.
WS is competitive over AC say YYZ-YVR now, Plus vs. lowest J, and not as much on YYZ-SJO vs. Copa now. Not a huge amount of room to budge to prevent attrition to real J seats, lounges, service, and in the case of SJO, prepaid departure tax which WS shares with only Cubana now, as making passengers pay at the airport.
If they call the 3X3 layout e.g. Plus as it is now, "J", a year plus ahead of it actually being anything like J they won't get the business of people who are not so dense they cannot figure it out. It will be interesting to see if they can equip and serve a J product which they do not have now but want to call it that and charge commensurately.
Old Oct 6, 18, 11:36 pm

A lot of intra-Europe flights their business class is scarcely different from economy anyway and they pay next to nothing for a lot of fares unlike here.
WS is competitive over AC say YYZ-YVR now, Plus vs. lowest J, and not as much on YYZ-SJO vs. Copa now. Not a huge amount of room to budge to prevent attrition to real J seats, lounges, service, and in the case of SJO, prepaid departure tax which WS shares with only Cubana now, as making passengers pay at the airport.
If they call the 3X3 layout e.g. Plus as it is now, "J", a year plus ahead of it actually being anything like J they won't get the business of people who are not so dense they cannot figure it out. It will be interesting to see if they can equip and serve a J product which they do not have now but want to call it that and charge commensurately.
Realistically they already have a proper business class cabin on the 767 aircraft. If they plant to convert all the 737, you would expect they would do a good number in the winter before they hit peek summer operations and then the remainder in the fall.

I think it is reasonable to create the new booking now. They are going to be limited on which flights have it offered.
Old Oct 7, 18, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Fare for business in Europe are quite expensive, even for the same seat.

In fact, if big seats are so important, you could argue that Spirit Airlines has the cheapest "business class" in North America.
Old Oct 7, 18, 7:42 pm

Realistically they already have a proper business class cabin on the 767 aircraft. If they plant to convert all the 737, you would expect they would do a good number in the winter before they hit peek summer operations and then the remainder in the fall.

I think it is reasonable to create the new booking now. They are going to be limited on which flights have it offered.
I don't disagree as long as they are not trying to put say "Plus Flexible" as J while it is the old layout which would be selling Prosecco but calling it Champagne.
The 763 J is not business class. It's bigger seats in premium economy with PE food, PE lounges, no doubt (lack of) PE fast track, etc.
Old Oct 7, 18, 9:12 pm

I don't disagree as long as they are not trying to put say "Plus Flexible" as J while it is the old layout which would be selling Prosecco but calling it Champagne.
The 763 J is not business class. It's bigger seats in premium economy with PE food, PE lounges, no doubt (lack of) PE fast track, etc.
I would agree the soft product is "Premium Economy". However the seats are recycled Qantas domestic business class seats.

At most airports in Canada on the domestic side its either Maple Leaf or Plaza Premium (also used by WestJet). In most cases I would talk the Plaza Premium lounge over the Maple Leaf. There is something weird happening at the lounge. I noticed the lounge in Calgary had a desk on the side with a WestJet banner. Is WestJet starting to staff these lounges?
Old Oct 8, 18, 7:31 am

I would agree the soft product is "Premium Economy". However the seats are recycled Qantas domestic business class seats.

At most airports in Canada on the domestic side its either Maple Leaf or Plaza Premium (also used by WestJet). In most cases I would talk the Plaza Premium lounge over the Maple Leaf. There is something weird happening at the lounge. I noticed the lounge in Calgary had a desk on the side with a WestJet banner. Is WestJet starting to staff these lounges?

Yes they are. The Chinook Lounge in YYC has WestJet agents working in there.

Search this Thread