Companion Fare Changes to one passenger only?

Old Sep 11, 18, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Air Cda, British Airways
Companion Fare Changes to one passenger only?

Just wondering if I buy two fares, one a companion fare and then find out that one person can't make that date, can we still make changes? Do the fares tend to be more expensive for the first person? I've never bought a companion fare before so any tips would be welcome and appreciated!
Old Sep 11, 18, 8:53 pm

The first person pays whatever the lowest available fare is on that particular flight. Or you could choose booking in plus and the companion fare would still be the same price. You can make changes but the change fees could end up costing more than what you paid for the companion fare to begin with so you will want to make sure of the dates before booking.
Old Sep 11, 18, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! I totally forgot about change fees! So I guess it wouldn't be worth it...but would that other passenger still get the free bag even if I wasn't flying with them but had booked together?
Old Sep 12, 18, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by dlkbc1 View Post
Thanks for the reply! I totally forgot about change fees! So I guess it wouldn't be worth it...but would that other passenger still get the free bag even if I wasn't flying with them but had booked together?
Not sure how you would accomplish this. You would be on the same file. If one of you noshows the other one is cancelled and you lose the ticket unless it's a higher fare. Also if you have a return flight that would get cancelled as well.
Old Sep 13, 18, 4:25 pm

At what time does WestJet "offload" a passenger who has checked in online but not shown up at the gate?
Would they really drag another passenger (the companion), who has already boarded, off the plane in such a case?

But your return flight could be a different issue, of course.

Maybe it is possible to split the file?
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all!
I hadn't thought of that.
I'm trying to pin down dates for my companion but I was hoping that there would be some flexibility. I guess better not to take a chance.

Search this Thread