789 Seat Map

Old Sep 6, 18, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
789 Seat Map

789 Seatmap
Old Sep 6, 18, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I dont think this is right. It says business class are recliner style.
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:10 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
Nope.
It says PE is "28 recliner seats". Business is "16 flat bed seats".

Old Sep 7, 18, 12:23 am
Original Member

This looks correct based on numbers and descriptions.
Old Sep 7, 18, 7:18 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Gee only 16 business class seats, I guess their not expecting too much traffic up front!
Old Sep 7, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post

If you move your mouse pointer over the seat, it says recliner seat, but the description on the right says lie flat.
Old Sep 7, 18, 2:18 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
Gee only 16 business class seats, I guess their not expecting too much traffic up front!
With a growing number of employers refusing to pay for anything but economy travel, so-called “business class” is increasingly being replaced by “premium economy.”
Old Sep 7, 18, 3:48 pm

Also, the lie-flat Business Class beds will be of the order of 2x times the cost of PE, which will be of the order of 2x the cost of Economy seats, likely seeing non-sale ticket costs from YYC-LGW outside of busy times (such as holidays) one way at about:
Economy - $500
Premium Economy - $1,200
Business - $2,500
Old Sep 7, 18, 4:06 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Also, the lie-flat Business Class beds will be of the order of 2x times the cost of PE, which will be of the order of 2x the cost of Economy seats, likely seeing non-sale ticket costs from YYC-LGW outside of busy times (such as holidays) one way at about:
Economy - $500
Premium Economy - $1,200
Business - $2,500
True, but that is where the airline makes it's money, those front seats are revenue producers.
If you want to get the Business class pax, you need to have availability, 16 seats is a bit slim IMO
Old Sep 7, 18, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post

With a growing number of employers refusing to pay for anything but economy travel, so-called “business class” is increasingly being replaced by “premium economy.”
What I see on AC and AF is the PE usually has availability whereas Business is always full, now mind you there is the upgrade factor, but PE is not that great a improvement over regular economy. Business (full lie flat) on the other hand is major major.
Old Sep 7, 18, 4:53 pm

True, but that is where the airline makes it's money, those front seats are revenue producers.
If you want to get the Business class pax, you need to have availability, 16 seats is a bit slim IMO
At those price differentials and 320 seats in 16/28/276 config compared with an all economy config of 375 seats at 31" pitch, overall revenue is about 13% higher for a similar load factor in each cabin, so for the sometimes quoted rule of "premium seats account for all the profit", it is about the right mix. Too many premium seats that reduce the load factor in that cabin or require them to be discounted to sell will reduce the overall revenue, the revenue per seat area (3.3x Economy for Business & 1.6x Economy for Premium Economy) has to be significantly higher than Economy to make sense.
Old Sep 7, 18, 5:46 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm curious to see the real world pricing, I suspect if they just match AC to the penny they will flop.

I don't see how WestJet connects with premium passengers, they just don't offer them very much in the first place and nothing that would shake deeply held loyalties.
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
My guess is that they'll be relying on people paying slightly lower J fares to fill the seats, instead of filling some with some higher fare pax and then upgrading FFs. AC might have a larger J cabin on their 789, but on some routes, I bet a lot of those are eups, whereas westjet has no FF upgrade program (yet)...

From what I've seen, a lot of people who would never buy AC J will happily buy plus (on the winter AB-Hawaii 767 flights). I'd expect westjet would target these people for their 789 J seats too...
Old Sep 8, 18, 6:19 pm

I don’t know what an “eup” is. Can you please explain?
Old Sep 8, 18, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Originally Posted by YYCguy View Post
I don’t know what an “eup” is. Can you please explain?
Sorry. Its an an "E upgrade credit", an upgrade instrument used by air canada. You earn the credits for reaching frequent flyer status and flying a certain number of miles each year. Then, depending on your ticket class and flight distance, you can use them to upgrade to premium economy of business class.

My point is that I think a lot of Air Canada's business class seats are filled with upgrades, whereas westjet will likely rely on paid pax to fill their J cabin.

Search this Thread