Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

DL and WS New Transborder Joint Venture

DL and WS New Transborder Joint Venture

Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
OK thanks.

So it seems that they are at the planning stage and not the execution stage. Is that a fair assessment?
Any construction at an airport is a lengthy process. I have been involved in a few. A lot that is done behind the scenes, out of the view of the public. A lot of overnight shifts!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
OK thanks.

So it seems that they are at the planning stage and not the execution stage. Is that a fair assessment?
I would say given WestJet now has one lounge in Calgary they are more in a execution stage at that airport.

The other airports are probably more planning than anything else. What would be interesting is YVR. That airport already has a Skyteam lounge in the international area. In principle WestJet should just negotiate to use that lounge.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would say given WestJet now has one lounge in Calgary they are more in a execution stage at that airport.

The other airports are probably more planning than anything else. What would be interesting is YVR. That airport already has a Skyteam lounge in the international area. In principle WestJet should just negotiate to use that lounge.
That longe would only be accessible for PAX on flights to Mexico and LGW. Lounges for domestic and US departures would be of much more interest.....to me at least.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:35 pm

That longe would only be accessible for PAX on flights to Mexico and LGW. Lounges for domestic and US departures would be of much more interest.....to me at least.
Agreed. There are a few transboarder flights that leave after US customs closes (e.g. the Delta flight to Atlanta), that go out of international. However those are the exception and I am not certain if there are any WS late departures to the US.

The Plaza lounge Transboarder is over crowded. Something needs to be done to open up space in that lounge. A third lounge dedicated to WS would be great. Will they do it before the next expansion? Not certain.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:26 pm

The Plaza lounge Transboarder is over crowded.
I've given up even attempting to find somewhere to sit in there. More lounge space is needed, and a dedicated WS lounge would be a most welcome solution.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I had a great Delta agent there. She took my NEXUS card and quickly added my KTN, and reprinted my BP giving me TSA Pre access. I asked her why I'm having these constant problems. She subtly rolled her eyes and essentially answered: because WestJet. Problems with WS tickets on DL flights, it seems, are not uncommon.
I recently had a similar diatribe from a Delta agent at ATL, she said does this a dozen times for every flight to Toronto but said she has met some really nice Canadians.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:19 pm

I've given up even attempting to find somewhere to sit in there. More lounge space is needed, and a dedicated WS lounge would be a most welcome solution.
There is a completely empty lounge space on the North end of the top floor in is there not?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
There is a completely empty lounge space on the North end of the top floor in is there not?
Excellent.. WS should get on that ASAP before the Plaza lounge becomes even more crowded. In addition to that they need to put one into Vegas airport. The AMEX lounge is always crowded and requires a train ride
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
What are actual real life examples of WJ tier members flying Delta in the US on their first leg connecting to WJ on the second leg - are Delta agents at check-in waiving luggage fees? Do you show them your WJ status on your app for proof? Is it totally up to the agent being nice? What is the boarding zone on your Delta boarding pass?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:01 pm

In addition to that they need to put one into Vegas airport.
That seems a little unlikely.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
That seems a little unlikely.
Wanna bet? Is is Vegas after all.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:49 pm

I know WestJet moves a lot of people through Las Vegas but what proportion of those will be people with lounge privileges.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Wanna bet? Is is Vegas after all.
Exactly! The airport authority wants passengers to bet on the slot machines that are plentiful throughout the airport and extract every last penny left from your escapades in Vegas. Lounges = less revenue.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Exactly! The airport authority wants passengers to bet on the slot machines that are plentiful throughout the airport and extract every last penny left from your escapades in Vegas. Lounges = less revenue.

I won roughly $120 USD on a McCarran airport slot machine and used that money to upgrade to Plus on my departing WS flight. This wouldn't be possible if I was sitting in a lounge.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
I won roughly $120 USD on a McCarran airport slot machine and used that money to upgrade to Plus on my departing WS flight. This wouldn't be possible if I was sitting in a lounge.
But what about drinking $120 USD worth of alcohol?
Heffeh41 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.