Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

TSB says passengers slowed WS evacuation by taking carry-on bags

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

The TSB report is out on the incident at Pearson on Jan 5 — when a Sunwing plane was pushed back into a WS 737.

https://ift.tt/2zqlCR4

Numerous evacuating passengers took their carry-on bags with them, and slowed the evacuation. In spite of FAs telling them not to. In other words, some idiots felt that their stuff was more important than the lives of people behind them.

Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:57 pm

I would advocate electronic latch disconnects for all new aircraft bag bins (and a retrofit program over a reasonable period for existing aircraft), only allowing them to be opened when deemed appropriate by the aircrew and/or regulations.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by aerobod
I would advocate electronic latch disconnects for all new aircraft bag bins (and a retrofit program over a reasonable period for existing aircraft), only allowing them to be opened when deemed appropriate by the aircrew and/or regulations.
Would that speed up the process, or would the same people be their try to force open the bins blocking the walkway in the process.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:59 pm

I would hope that by including the fact that bins are locked in the safety briefing, having flight attendants add "bins are locked, evacuate now" to their shout and other guests/passengers just pushing them out of the way would help speed things up, at the very least by not having large carry ons blocking doors and aisles.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
The TSB report is out on the incident at Pearson on Jan 5 — when a Sunwing plane was pushed back into a WS 737.

https://ift.tt/2zqlCR4

Numerous evacuating passengers took their carry-on bags with them, and slowed the evacuation. In spite of FAs telling them not to. In other words, some idiots felt that their stuff was more important than the lives of people behind them.

I would advocate for any carry-on being removed by passengers during emergency evacuation being immediately confiscated and put through a wood chipper.
YYCguy and Fiordland like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I would advocate for any carry-on being removed by passengers during emergency evacuation being immediately confiscated and put through a wood chipper.
Love it!

Frankly any passenger who does this should also be subjected to an IATA/all-airline ban from ever stepping foot on a plane again in their lifetime. They’re a safety hazard, and should not be allowed to fly.

(I wonder if there’s any data - or even just video - of who took bags during this evacuation at Pearson!?)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Time and time again. Unless there is punishment for doing it then it will keep happening.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms

Love it!

Frankly any passenger who does this should also be subjected to an IATA/all-airline ban from ever stepping foot on a plane again in their lifetime. They’re a safety hazard, and should not be allowed to fly.

(I wonder if there’s any data - or even just video - of who took bags during this evacuation at Pearson!?)
Yes, agreed. The chance of being put on a no-fly list might change behaviour. Some decent in-flight PSA vids (instead of ads for things I don't want or need) would certainly help as well. A brief message reminding people that evacuations are not to include carryon and and advisory to keep wallet, passport and phone on your person might go a long way to helping people make the right decision. If you have your wallet, passport and phone with you, most of the rest can be replaced.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Jul 12, 2018 at 1:59 pm Reason: Can't type
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
You can't legislate common sense which apparently is becoming less common.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA

+1 - and I'd also advocate for criminal charges along the lines of reckless endangerment.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Some decent in-flight PSA vids (instead of ads for things I don't want or need) would certainly help as well. A brief message reminding people that evacuations are not to include carryon ...
Unfortunately absolutely nobody really pays attention to the safety presentation — frequent flier or occasional vacationer.

And too too many airlines just gloss over them - WestJet included. I often wonder why both WS and AC both downplay the ‘pre landing exit door reminder’ at the end of a long flight. They both say something like “Transport Canada makes us read this vague script about door locations ...” rather than “please pay attention and figure out where the nearest emergency exit is before we land, in case we need to evacuate”.

Those issues with safety briefings (along with the lack of common sense that tcook mentioned above) were all too apparent in that Southwest incident a few months ago. When the oxygen masks dropped, few had any clue what to do. Many had the mask over their mouth (but not their nose). Wrong. Many held the mask to their face - and only occasionally - rather than using the elastic strap (which utterly defeats the purpose, particularly if you pass out). And, sadly, we know all this because many passengers made filming videos with their phones their top priority during an in-flight emergency where one person had died and the entire flight was at risk. Unfreakin believable.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
In an emergency evacuation I will not be delayed by people retrieving their personal items. They can take it up with me on the tarmac afterwards if they survive.
tcook052, J. Leslie and YYCguy like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Stop incentivizing people to bring their baggage in the cabin.

Is there a single recorded instance of evacuating passengers attempting to breach the baggage hold to retrieve their checked baggage from a flaming plane?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
If you read the TSB report, which can be found here some interesting facts are found.
  1. Three seconds after the fire started panicked passengers opened one of the over-wing exits and began to evacuate, well before the command to evacuate, and while the engines were still running. It seems to me this is far more dangerous than taking carry-on with you.
  2. 20 seconds after the fire started one of the rear exits was opened, possibly by a FA, and slides deployed, also before the command to evacuate. It appears that the engines were still running at that time.
  3. In working the relevant checklist, the FO skipped a step he/she deemed unnecessary, which resulted in the emergency lights not illuminating.
  4. The command to evacuate was given 49 seconds after the fire started.
  5. The TSB states that passengers bringing carry-on baggage slowed the evacuation, but they offer no evidence as to how they reached this conclusion nor do they state how much delay was caused (I am in no way suggesting that taking carry-on is inconsequential, only that we don't know from this report how consequential it was.)
  6. The evacuation took 3:09 from when the first exit was opened, 2:23 from when the evacuate command was made. This equates to 1.08 seconds per person. Assuming that 7 of the 8 exits were in use, which appears to be the case from the report, it took 7.6 seconds per person to evacuate.
  7. During certification it was demonstrated that evacuation of the aircraft can be completed in 90 seconds. Presumably this is determined from a drill in which there would be no panicking passengers.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

A news report on CBC’s The National about the problem.

Here’s the video:

Plane passengers saving baggage before themselves | CBC News

The problems, in a nutshell:

1. Hardly anyone pays attention to the safety briefing.
2. Regardless of whether they do or don’t, too many people are just plain stupid.
tcook052 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.