Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good-bye WestJet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have not had a meaningful delay on WS at all so the OP is particularly unlucky in that 100% of every recent flight were 2 + hours late. I wonder where from and to?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I have not had a meaningful delay on WS at all so the OP is particularly unlucky in that 100% of every recent flight were 2 + hours late. I wonder where from and to?
Perhaps late afternoon and evening YYZ or NYC area where every airline turns in to a ... I mean every airline struggles with gate constraints, thunderstorms, maxed out runways, construction, poor handling of winter storms, cascading delays and whatever else turns the big northeast hubs in to a general nightmare.

Last edited by smallmj; Jul 2, 2018 at 5:29 am Reason: fuller description of problems instead of substitution for profanity
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My experience with WS is that when there is a flight disruption it is much more complicated to sort out than with AC which usually has more available flights to your destination.

Secondly, their "happy talk" FAs are irritating and tiresome. I'd rather deal with desultory AC cabin crew than wannabe stand-up comedians.

I will take them as a less preferred option within North America. I wouldn't touch them for a European destination.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Secondly, their "happy talk" FAs are irritating and tiresome. I'd rather deal with desultory AC cabin crew than wannabe stand-up comedians.
It's hardly 'open mic night' on WS flights as IME FA's inject a bit of levity into their announcements and make them slightly less tedious than on other airlines including AC.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by tcook052
It's hardly 'open mic night' on WS flights as IME FA's inject a bit of levity into their announcements and make them slightly less tedious than on other airlines including AC.
The ones that forget where they're flying to are especially entertaining.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
The ones that forget where they're flying to are especially entertaining.
Yeah, really funny. On a YYZ-TPA flight for business as I boarded the FA announced, "Welcome to our service to Winnipeg!" Assuming I'd boarded the wrong flight I immediately reversed course and was back into the jetway before she caught up to me and said, "It was a JOKE! The flight's going to Tampa." Save that BS for the Kettles. It's a flight not a high school variety show.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jul 2, 2018 at 2:38 pm
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:32 pm

Awe it’s too bad you don’t seem to have a sense of humour. Not everyone who goes to Tampa goes on business. I would say most go for fun and want to hear the humour and banter to get the holiday started off on the right foot!
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Awe it’s too bad you don’t seem to have a sense of humour. Not everyone who goes to Tampa goes on business. I would say most go for fun and want to hear the humour and banter to get the holiday started off on the right foot!
That's fine if it's a vacation charter for the Kettles but this was on a scheduled flight by an airline attempting to pass as a major carrier. I've flown at least 8 airlines into TPA for business or pleasure. Only WS seems to be staffed by cabin crews auditioning for the next episode of Tiny Talent Time. There are more mature and professional FAs on Sunwing. If I want clowns I can go to the circus.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Badenoch
That's fine if it's a vacation charter for the Kettles but this was on a scheduled flight by an airline attempting to pass as a major carrier. I've flown at least 8 airlines into TPA for business or pleasure. Only WS seems to be staffed by cabin crews auditioning for the next episode of Tiny Talent Time. There are more mature and professional FAs on Sunwing. If I want clowns I can go to the circus.
So fly on Sunwing and be done with it. I hope it works out for you. If you don't like Westjet's value proposition, as you said, there are other alternatives.

Personally, I'm happy to fly with crews that are generally happy and more than simply robots going through the motions. But to each their own.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Firing an airline for bad service or bad OTP is like playing a game of musical chairs. Eventually you'll be the last one standing, with no chairs.
True true. I wonder what the cause of the delays for the OP were?
Although I've flown AC 10x more than WS in the past few years I've had more delays on WS. I chalk it up to bad luck.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Firing an airline for bad service or bad OTP is like playing a game of musical chairs. Eventually you'll be the last one standing, with no chairs.
Agreed. I've had my share of bad experiences with UA and AC (along with WS) in terms of delays and cancellations. I'd argue that if you're going to take a bitter pill, better stick with one bitter pill than spread your misery over multiple airlines.

If you can afford it, stick to an alliance (i.e. *A for AC). Once you hit VIP level with them, the rules change significantly for you. For instance, having United Gold means that per policy, AC accommodates me first and provides you with meals (if more than 2 hours), accommodation (if more than 8 hours), ground transport and communication (i.e. phone and email) regardless of whether the delay was within their control or not. That's in addition to lounge access and the other perks they give you to take the edge off delays. I doubt WS or the Charters would provide anywhere near the same level of service.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by smallmj
Perhaps late afternoon and evening YYZ or NYC area where every airline turns in to a ... I mean every airline struggles with gate constraints, thunderstorms, maxed out runways, construction, poor handling of winter storms, cascading delays and whatever else turns the big northeast hubs in to a general nightmare.
Hmm...nope ex YYZ ever, any time of day. I'd say lotto tickets are a bad buy for the OP for sure.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Standing in line for security screening at T3 YYZ, guy in front commented that he flies WJ YYZ-YUL a lot on the Q400 and experienced a lot of delays.
Westjet has given up on YUL. They can't compete for customers who prefer the home town team and as such aircraft typically get pulled from YUL flights when needed for irregular operations out easy.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Westjet has given up on YUL. They can't compete for customers who prefer the home town team and as such aircraft typically get pulled from YUL flights when needed for irregular operations out easy.
If there's one route in Canada with excess capacity it's YTO to YUL. We've got PD, AC and WS all operating that route with each carrier offering hourly service. What surprises me about WS is why they don't rebook MX/WX passengers on AC flights when they occur which in my experience is often. If we had EU like regulations I suspect that would happen now often.

Why have pax wait 3 hours or more for the next available flight?

Safe Travels,
James
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Talking to the gate agent in T3 WJ flights between YYZ YUL often goes out half full during hours outside of the morning or afternoon rush. That is why they use the Q400 which might be too big for even some of the flights.

One time I missed a flight YEG YYC due to illness and got to the gate 15 mins post departure. WJ agent kindly offered to book me onto AC leaving right away or wait for the next WJ flight in 2 hours. That was very generous and unexpected. Being WJ Gold made a difference as she said, "we try our best for our Gold members".

Last edited by Sunny Day; Jul 7, 2018 at 9:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.