FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   WS apologizes for asking customers to record on board service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1908484-ws-apologizes-asking-customers-record-board-service.html)

airbus320 May 9, 2018 6:11 am

WS apologizes for asking customers to record on board service

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...cid=spartandhp

What were they thinking?
No wonder flight attendants are considering joining a union.....

DoctorDoug May 9, 2018 7:23 am

Disgusting!!! While I'm not a frequent flyer, and admittedly have only flown Westjet a few times, I doubt I'll book on them anytime soon. Someone needs to get fired over this invasion of privacy!

cur May 9, 2018 10:04 am

this was most likely intended by the marketing and research people to be used the same way some of us do trip reports. some of these trip reports (particularly azn ones) have pictures of happy service directors or fas posing with a bottle of dom perignon or whatever. most trip reports depicting positive and negative dont have photos of fas, they have pictures of the product.

someone on that forum probably construed "take photos and videos of positive and experiences" to mean "take photos of good and bad fas" which the busybodies geniuses at cupe took as "surreptitiously monitor employees without them knowing and report back to management"

and of course the investigative geniuses at cbc do a 750 word essay on this instead of maybe reporting on government corruption or malfeasance.

Originally Posted by airbus320 (Post 29733412)
No wonder flight attendants are considering joining a union.....

ya it's culture and also ready reserve after years, not getting sun flying after 10 years of service "because we share our routes", and the whole flying 2 hours in a 10 hour day and getting paid for just 2 as well

24left May 9, 2018 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by cur (Post 29734315)
this was most likely intended by the marketing and research people to be used the same way some of us do trip reports. some of these trip reports (particularly azn ones) have pictures of happy service directors or fas posing with a bottle of dom perignon or whatever. most trip reports depicting positive and negative dont have photos of fas, they have pictures of the product.

someone on that forum probably construed "take photos and videos of positive and experiences" to mean "take photos of good and bad fas" which the busybodies geniuses at cupe took as "surreptitiously monitor employees without them knowing and report back to management"

and of course the investigative geniuses at cbc do a 750 word essay on this instead of maybe reporting on government corruption or malfeasance.......

Yup, lol.

And.......

QUOTE:

"What makes this situation especially interesting is that the union condemning the actions isn’t one actually representing WestJet. Rather, currently WestJet’s cabin crew aren’t unionized, but the union representing Air Canada, which is also wanting to represent WestJet, is speaking out:

“It certainly speaks to the culture of disrespect at the executive level of WestJet toward the people who have built the company up,” said CUPE spokesman Hugh Pouliot.

It would appear that WestJet had no ill-will here, but rather this just wasn’t a well thought out program. The airline ended this research project in March, and has no plans to bring it back, given the hot water they’re now in."

WestJet Apologizes For Asking Passengers To Record Employees

MAY 9, 2018 BY LUCKY

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....ing-employees/

Sopwith May 9, 2018 9:35 pm

While I can agree that the concept and the request are offensive, I have to say that the whole “privacy” argument is duplicitous. From the moment you drive onto airport property until the moment you board an aircraft you are being recorded and monitored on CCTV. For all we know, you are also being recorded while on board as well.

The real issue here is what is done with the information recorded. In the case of the airlines or the airport operator there are ostensibly controls over the data and how it is used, but sometimes I wonder. The “problem” the employees have is that their (bad) behaviour might actually be seen by others.

Anyone who has browsed these FT forums for more than a week knows about unruly passengers. But even a cursory review reveals that there is a growing problem of unruly and power-tripping FAs, especially in the US. There needs to be some accountability brought to bear. If not video recording, then how?

As far as I’m concerned, if they can record me, I can record them.

smallmj May 10, 2018 3:28 am

It is one thing to record, another thing to post that recording to YouTube..

MasterGeek May 10, 2018 10:43 am

Corporations can film consumers but consumers cannot film the corporations or their agents?! That's not fair !

MorkieMoose May 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Wowwww. They actually wanted to spy on their employees via ff. ...?