Baggage Tagged from Another Carrier

Old Apr 22, 18, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Baggage Tagged from Another Carrier

Hello,

I am a oneworld flyer who has never taken a WS flight nor any domestic Canadian flight. Wondering if I can get some help here.

I recently bought a CX ticket flying CX to ORD then AA to YYZ (these are all on one ticket) and then a separate WS ticket from YYZ to YQB. CX through-tags bags even on separate tickets as long as there's interline agreement in place, so I'm counting on CX to through-tag my bags all the way to YQB. Currently, AA still has interline agreement with WS as well.

My questions are, provided that CX through-tags my bags to YQB and AA doesn't have an issue with this (since I will do bag drop-off after customs in ORD so there is probably no manual intervention by AAgent):
1. Upon arrival at YYZ, I believe I will pick-up the bag for customs just like the way it is done in the US for international-to-domestic transits, right?
2. Is there a place for baggage drop-off immediately after customs like the way it is set up in major US airports? Does WS allow this?
3. Will WS give me any trouble for not paying them bag fees, or ask me to pay bag fees at some point (e. g., at gate)?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 22, 18, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
1. Upon arrival at YYZ, I believe I will pick-up the bag for customs just like the way it is done in the US for international-to-domestic transits, right?
2. Is there a place for baggage drop-off immediately after customs like the way it is set up in major US airports? Does WS allow this?
3. Will WS give me any trouble for not paying them bag fees, or ask me to pay bag fees at some point (e. g., at gate)?

Thanks in advance!
1- Yes you'll need to pick up your bag in YYZ

2- Yes once you clear customs with your bag you head through a connection room where you would then drop off your bag

3- I doubt that you'll have your bag checked through all the way to YQB if the WS ticket is it's own reservation. If that's the case, then you would need to pay WS for the bag fee.
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As OP must physically claim his bag at YYZ and either drop or retag it, the difference amounts to possibly 2 minutes. If retagged, he will pay his WS bag fee at that point. If not, he may be sent back off to get that done later. Potentially his bag will be held. Not worth the hassle for a few bucks.
Old Apr 22, 18, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WJter View Post
1- Yes you'll need to pick up your bag in YYZ

2- Yes once you clear customs with your bag you head through a connection room where you would then drop off your bag

3- I doubt that you'll have your bag checked through all the way to YQB if the WS ticket is it's own reservation. If that's the case, then you would need to pay WS for the bag fee.
Thank you! All my segments are booked in one PNR, so CX already knows that I have a WS flight after the AA one. Either way, it is CX's policy to through check. At the connection room, do they check to see if you need to pay for bag fee, or as long as it's tagged to YQB, they won't care?

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As OP must physically claim his bag at YYZ and either drop or retag it, the difference amounts to possibly 2 minutes. If retagged, he will pay his WS bag fee at that point. If not, he may be sent back off to get that done later. Potentially his bag will be held. Not worth the hassle for a few bucks.

I am planning to check 2 bags so it does make a difference. I'm wondering if people have experience with this. Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 18, 11:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
It is up to CX. If they are willing to tag you bag all the way then your good to go. Given AA, WS and CX interline it can be done. Where you run into problems, is some airlines are starting to refuse to check bags unless on the same ticket. When this happens it is not because they can't its is because they don't want to.

If the bags are tagged all the way, I would surprised is WS charged you anything.

In Toronto in Terminal 1 bags are automatically transferred behind the seen as you go through customers. Similar to Europe. I don't believe Terminal 3 (used by WS and AA) is setup to operate that way and you will likely have to pickup your bag. There should be a WestJet transfer desk and a connecting baggage drop off.
Old Apr 23, 18, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
It is up to CX. If they are willing to tag you bag all the way then your good to go. Given AA, WS and CX interline it can be done. Where you run into problems, is some airlines are starting to refuse to check bags unless on the same ticket. When this happens it is not because they can't its is because they don't want to.

If the bags are tagged all the way, I would surprised is WS charged you anything.

In Toronto in Terminal 1 bags are automatically transferred behind the seen as you go through customers. Similar to Europe. I don't believe Terminal 3 (used by WS and AA) is setup to operate that way and you will likely have to pickup your bag. There should be a WestJet transfer desk and a connecting baggage drop off.
Thanks for the comprehensive response! CX has made it quite clear that they will through check (https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-tickets.html). Knowing that WS will likely not charge me given the through-tag, I will plan on bringing two suitcases.

Thanks again!
Old May 25, 18, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

So CX was not able to get me the boarding pass for the WS flight, but my bag is tagged to the WS flight. After multiple attempts, CX still could not print the boarding pass of the WS flight for me, but bag through-check was not an issue at all. Now, I've completed online check-in at westjet.com (putting 0 for checked bag, or I will be charged). Do you guys think it would be okay still for me to drop the bag after Canadian customs and then use the self-print or mobile boarding pass?
Old May 25, 18, 11:30 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
I would check in on WS and say zero bags, otherwise they’ll try to charge you at OLCI. When you drop your bags they’ll possibly want to see your electronic BP. At that point they’ll either charge you, or they won’t. I suspect they won’t since your bags will already have been tagged.
Old May 26, 18, 12:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
So CX was not able to get me the boarding pass for the WS flight, but my bag is tagged to the WS flight. After multiple attempts, CX still could not print the boarding pass of the WS flight for me, but bag through-check was not an issue at all. Now, I've completed online check-in at westjet.com (putting 0 for checked bag, or I will be charged). Do you guys think it would be okay still for me to drop the bag after Canadian customs and then use the self-print or mobile boarding pass?
Since you are connecting and your baggage is tagged to the final destination I think it is extremely unlikely they would charge you anything.

In baggage claim in Toronto there should be a transfer desk, ask them to print your boarding passes, you should tell them you have two connecting bags (they will likely want to see the bag stub to attach the id number to your profile to the bags make it all the way).
Old May 26, 18, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
I would check in on WS and say zero bags, otherwise they’ll try to charge you at OLCI. When you drop your bags they’ll possibly want to see your electronic BP. At that point they’ll either charge you, or they won’t. I suspect they won’t since your bags will already have been tagged.

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Since you are connecting and your baggage is tagged to the final destination I think it is extremely unlikely they would charge you anything.

In baggage claim in Toronto there should be a transfer desk, ask them to print your boarding passes, you should tell them you have two connecting bags (they will likely want to see the bag stub to attach the id number to your profile to the bags make it all the way).

Thank you YEG User and Fiordland! At ORD now. To my surprise, AA actually printed me the boarding pass for the WS segment (which I online checked-in) and confirm that they have no problem with the CX tag that checks me to YQB. I suppose technically I don't have to do anything at this point other than claiming and dropping the bag at YYZ. If you guys and others think it would be wise, perhaps I can ask the gate agent (instead of check-in agent) to confirm that WS has my bags (because I think a gate agent is less likely to insist bag fee payment), or do you guys think that at this point, given I have an AA-printed boarding pass o n the WS flight and bag through checked to YQB by CX and confirmed by AA, I should not do anything, even though I indicated 0 checked bag during the WS OLCI process?
Old May 26, 18, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Never mind...bags were left in ORD and AA for some reason didn't send them to YYZ. YYZAA agents confirmed this. They will put in on their morning ORD-YYZ flight tomorrow and hand the bag to WS. Because YQB is my final destination, I will have to get the report at YQB from WS. Hopefully I can get the bag by tomorrow afternoon...
Old May 26, 18, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I would suggest to lay low now and don't ask any WJ employees to "confirm that everything is ok". Don't invite anymore attention than you have to. Good luck, report back how things go in the end.
Old May 27, 18, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
I would suggest to lay low now and don't ask any WJ employees to "confirm that everything is ok". Don't invite anymore attention than you have to. Good luck, report back how things go in the end.
I filed the delayed baggage with YQBWS and they didn't mention anything about the fees. YYZAA, where I first reported missing my bags, also told me it's their responsibility to pay WS, if there's any charge. Now I just hope that AA will put my bag on the next ORD-YYZ flight for WS to take over. Thanks guys!

Search this Thread