More like AC every day!

Old Apr 10, 18, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
More like AC every day!

Just booked a trip for next January using my Avion points. Went to select seats (which was the whole point of booking this early), web site doesn't work, app doesn't work, wait time on the phone is 30 minutes!
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Just booked a trip for next January using my Avion points. Went to select seats (which was the whole point of booking this early), web site doesn't work, app doesn't work, wait time on the phone is 30 minutes!
WS phone wait times have been brutal in for the past 12 months.
Old Apr 10, 18, 9:00 pm

I haven't waited more than 3 mins. They have countdowns on their website contact us page with a callback option. Works every time.
Old Apr 10, 18, 10:34 pm

The WestJet website really is a frustrating mess ... especially when it comes to viewing or managing any booked flights (and doing seat selection). I also enjoy the endless loops I sometimes get stuck in, where I’m asked to log in three separate times during one single session on their website.

I had the same issue as the OP just yesterday.

Booked a flight online via our corporate travel agent. Afterwards, went to the WS website ... where my itinerary showed up — with the “Select seats” button active and highlighted for that itinerary. (Everything else was greyed out). I clicked it, and the page advanced to a new one that showed “Step 1 out of 3” at the top. But there was nothing else on the page. No seat map, no navigation, nothing. Just a whole lotta white.

I assumed it was my Chrome browser, so I tried IE. Same dead end. More wasted time.

Then, I tried the WestJet app. “Seats” button was similarly highlighted, but - again - navigating through takes me to a blank page. Grrrrrrr, WestJet. This is frustrating.

Then, I called in once I got home It was a 25 minute wait, staring at a wall in my house ... all so I could hand WestJet my money. Because their web-site doesn’t function.

Per the agent gent on the phone, it never works, and he always gets a lot of people calling in with the same problem.

Come on, guys. Fix this.
—— Edited to add: Oh, and they couldn’t give me a receipt for the seat selection fee (a work expense). Because their system can’t handle that. So the agent had to take an extra few minutes, with me on the phone, filling out some special receipt request form that would have to go to a different department. Wow.
Old Apr 10, 18, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerJ View Post
The WestJet website really is a frustrating mess ... especially when it comes to viewing or managing any booked flights (and doing seat selection). I also enjoy the endless loops I sometimes get stuck in, where I’m asked to log in three separate times during one single session on their website.

I had the same issue as the OP just yesterday.

Booked a flight online via our corporate travel agent. Afterwards, went to the WS website ... where my itinerary showed up — with the “Select seats” button active and highlighted for that itinerary. (Everything else was greyed out). I clicked it, and the page advanced to a new one that showed “Step 1 out of 3” at the top. But there was nothing else on the page. No seat map, no navigation, nothing. Just a whole lotta white.

I assumed it was my Chrome browser, so I tried IE. Same dead end. More wasted time.

Then, I tried the WestJet app. “Seats” button was similarly highlighted, but - again - navigating through takes me to a blank page. Grrrrrrr, WestJet. This is frustrating.

Then, I called in once I got home It was a 25 minute wait, staring at a wall in my house ... all so I could hand WestJet my money. Because their web-site doesn’t function.

Per the agent gent on the phone, it never works, and he always gets a lot of people calling in with the same problem.

Come on, guys. Fix this.
—— Edited to add: Oh, and they couldn’t give me a receipt for the seat selection fee (a work expense). Because their system can’t handle that. So the agent had to take an extra few minutes, with me on the phone, filling out some special receipt request form that would have to go to a different department. Wow.
Exactly.

I was able to do the seat selection on the phone. Agent says she can't send an email confirming, but go to the web site and you'll see the seat selection. But of course, the web site isn't working, which is why I called in the first place.

As I said, more like AC every day.

Last edited by Sopwith; Apr 10, 18 at 11:06 pm
Old Apr 10, 18, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
My travel agent books the seats with the tickets so isn't that easier than going to WS at all?
Old Apr 10, 18, 11:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
It is weird. I did an Avion booking a few weeks ago (traveling next week). Ticketed on Delta ticket stock, first leg is a YVR-YYZ with assigned seats on the westjet site. I can log into Delta and see change all seats except WestJet. If I log into WestJet it also won't let me change it.

About two months ago, I did an avion doing down it was WestJet connected to American in YYC to Dallas the return was on Alaska connecting in SEA. On the WestJet portal it was very confused and did not know how to show the Alaska segments at all. Alaska and American portals were OK.

They have quite a bit of work to do on the interline services.
Old Apr 11, 18, 11:35 am
Original Poster

@WestJet folks: While you're fixing this, can you please make the seat map available when viewing flights, without having to go through a dummy booking to get there. Seat availability matters when choosing which flight to book.

Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 18, 2:50 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
They used to allow you to see the seat map when viewing flight options on the website, then they took it away for some unknown reason. PITA, especially if you're trying to book for two or more people on the same reservation.
FlyerJ, chrisky and martiantoad like this.
Old Apr 11, 18, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
My travel agent books the seats with the tickets so isn't that easier than going to WS at all?
Our corporate travel agent (CWT) has an online booking portal which is relatively efficient and reliable. But their site won’t let users select seats whenever the seats are “pay for seat selection”.

Unfortunately, if I try to call an agent at CWT, it’s an equally dismal wait time to WS.

(If it was my choice, I wouldn’t use CWT.)
Old Apr 12, 18, 10:21 pm

Our corporate travel agent (CWT) has an online booking portal which is relatively efficient and reliable. But their site won’t let users select seats whenever the seats are “pay for seat selection”.

Unfortunately, if I try to call an agent at CWT, it’s an equally dismal wait time to WS.

(If it was my choice, I wouldn’t use CWT.)
I use CWT personally but I don't fly on airlines or classes where you pay for things like seat selection, so that might be the reason they book my seats when I am arranging and ticketing.

One reason why I won't fly in business class on BA since they try to charge for selecting those seats.
Old Apr 12, 18, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

One reason why I won't fly in business class on BA since they try to charge for selecting those seats.
Moi aussi. Insult to injury.
Old Apr 13, 18, 1:41 pm

I use CWT personally but I don't fly on airlines or classes where you pay for things like seat selection, so that might be the reason they book my seats when I am arranging and ticketing.
Company policy dictates the acceptable fare classes that we have access to. (It varies by flight length and destination.) For anything within North America, that includes both AC Tango or WS Econo — with seat selection and baggage fees allowed and ‘expensible’.

And I’m required to use the corporate travel agent.

Which means I want, expect and need a website that provides good functionality for TA-booked itineraries.

(FWIW, our allowable fares on any US carriers exclude any and all Basic Economy offerings — which in America means I don’t need to worry about most ‘unbundled’ fare offerings. Still, although United’s website looks like it’s ancient, it provides full functionality for TA bookings. DL and AS are goo, too.)

And frankly WestJet’s site is also frustrating for managing even WS-booked itineraries, regardless of fare class, where the self-serve web experience can be equally random and nonsensical.
Old Apr 13, 18, 10:36 pm

And frankly WestJet’s site is also frustrating for managing even WS-booked itineraries, regardless of fare class, where the self-serve web experience can be equally random and nonsensical.
I willingly pay a travel agent their $44 even for what should be slam dunk refundable tickets on WS, to ensure I do not use westjet.com.

Unless you have to use the web site for one of those valid for 45 minute bonuses, or travel credits, I can't imagine even trying, if only for the fact when things go up the pipe a travel agent is far more accessible (including after hours for CWT).

They could make things more spritely and it is surprising they don't because the majority of their passengers must be people who would not pay an extra pfennig to save a drowning man.
Old Apr 14, 18, 11:25 pm

Coming back to the original topic of seat selection...I was told by a WS agent that when a ticket is procured through a TA then the booking is '''locked" and that's why you can't book a seat on the WS website. You have to call in for the TA to select a seat. Also the same as if you have to modify a reservation - can't do it on the website, have to call WS or go back to your TA. So while it is a bit of an odd thing and yes WS' website could be more informative, we also need to pester the TAs (Egencia in my case) to findfind why THEIR system won't let us book seats in the first place.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: