Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saretsky out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by aerobod
As a longtime WestJetter and also one in a more senior position, I can tell you that there is a very strong strategy in place, but also a need for secrecy. In the past WestJet was a leaky sieve in keeping information confidential, everybody thought they had a right to know what was going on, sometimes to the detriment of market position when leaks have happened.

Expect more moments of surprise in the future!
Interesting to know what kind of, or should I say how much $$, the parachute exit contained...any leaky sieve on that regard?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by james dean
Interesting to know what kind of, or should I say how much $$, the parachute exit contained...any leaky sieve on that regard?
That will be public in the next quarterly
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:57 am

You will have to view the exec compensation in the annual report to find that out. Bearing mind that if the compensation is just the ability to exercise existing shares and compensation previously awarded, then it was a true retirement and no “parachute” was provided.

Just on the strategy note, I was part of a team that did initial evaluation on wide body viability in 2007, predating Gregg at WestJet and I’m working on multiple strategic items at the moment that won’t come to fruition for 5 years or so. No news doesn’t mean a large amount of planning hasn’t gone into what looks like a “snap” decision.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Ed has certainly not been around long enough to take over as CEO. This is very weird. Externally, it appears that WS is doing really well. Could this be Swoop related? What a weird way for WS to announce things. Very un Westjet
This is EXACTLY how WJ announces things.

Glen Picard, Don Clark, Steve Smith, Bill Lamberton, Sean Durfy, Tim Morgan, ....and I could name at least a half dozen more.

Why is there any surprise here?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by HangTen
This is EXACTLY how WJ announces things.

Glen Picard, Don Clark, Steve Smith, Bill Lamberton, Sean Durfy, Tim Morgan, ....and I could name at least a half dozen more.

Why is there any surprise here?
Maybe the surprise is all the joy in the camp...LOL!!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Saretsky reminds me of an executive where I worked when I was starting out twenty years ago.

His schtick was picking fights with customers, vendors, key employees, competitors and journalists and at absolute best fighting to a stalemate at which point he would demand commendation for his masterful leadership or at worst insist he had at the very least cleared the air by his actions which rarely accomplished anything other than alienating people.

I have seen some incredibly ugly union situations first hand and my mind just boggles at how WestJet confronted these, especially since at the start of all this I don't believe they were dealing with an adversarial workforce.

I have come to know a number of WestJet pilots and flight attendants socially in Calgary and they all say the same thing, none of their grievances are big ones. One pilot who is a senior captain said he just had no idea how it got to this point.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Error 601
Saretsky reminds me of an executive where I worked when I was starting out twenty years ago.

His schtick was picking fights with customers, vendors, key employees, competitors and journalists and at absolute best fighting to a stalemate at which point he would demand commendation for his masterful leadership or at worst insist he had at the very least cleared the air by his actions which rarely accomplished anything other than alienating people.

I have seen some incredibly ugly union situations first hand and my mind just boggles at how WestJet confronted these, especially since at the start of all this I don't believe they were dealing with an adversarial workforce.

I have come to know a number of WestJet pilots and flight attendants socially in Calgary and they all say the same thing, none of their grievances are big ones. One pilot who is a senior captain said he just had no idea how it got to this point.
I have no inside knowledge of WestJet or its union. My only thought is that Saretsky may have come with a bias from his time at Alaska and Canadian.

What I have seen in other industries is if management and the union have a good working relationship, you never have Grievance fillings or major issues because they are handled informally long before there any need for that. You then introduce one or two people from a different company culture into the mix in a place of authority and they "expect" these things to go down a certain way.
james dean likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I have no inside knowledge of WestJet or its union. My only thought is that Saretsky may have come with a bias from his time at Alaska and Canadian.

What I have seen in other industries is if management and the union have a good working relationship, you never have Grievance fillings or major issues because they are handled informally long before there any need for that. You then introduce one or two people from a different company culture into the mix in a place of authority and they "expect" these things to go down a certain way.
I think that is a pretty good analysis Fiordland, I've known some long time WJA flight crews and it seems the airline has gone from the land of the happy to the land of the not so happy.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Out of curiousity, what is Ed Sim's familiarity with Unions? Anyone know how NZ works?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:03 pm

Out of curiousity, what is Ed Sim's familiarity with Unions? Anyone know how NZ works?
He spent 7 years being the CEO of the air traffic control system. He also had VP positions with the airline before that. I suspect he knows how to work with unions.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
He spent 7 years being the CEO of the air traffic control system. He also had VP positions with the airline before that. I suspect he knows how to work with unions.
So you are saying all of the companies he worked with had Unions in place? Or are you just stating his previous job with no knowledge of anything else?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:22 pm

So you are saying all of the companies he worked with had Unions in place? Or are you just stating his previous job with no knowledge of anything else?
Says these are complex organisations that have union and non-union staff.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:53 pm

Maybe the BOD has some soul searching to do, there the one's that hired the previous president...
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:10 am

The fact that they just posted Ed Sim's job for replacement, yesterday, tells me that there is more to this story. They wouldn't have been so unprepared that not only did it happen seemingly overnight, but they also didn't even have a job posting ready for Sim's former role (EVP of Commercial)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.