Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Saretsky out

WestJet Airlines chief executive Gregg Saretsky retires - Calgary - CBC News
Enough damage done?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
When the players aren't happy, fire (retire) the coach...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AC 35k
That's surprising.... I wonder if it changes any strategic direction. Guess it's too late with the aircraft orders.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:28 am

Ed has been fully involved with building the corporate strategy and is fully up to speed in running the company, as he has been Gregg’s key EVP since he started last spring.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by james dean
When the players aren't happy, fire (retire) the coach...
Since he was the one that caused the unhappiness, it makes perfect sense.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since he was the one that caused the unhappiness, it makes perfect sense.
I've heard the pilots are popping the Champagne corks....
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by aerobod
Ed has been fully involved with building the corporate strategy ....
Anyone want to venture a guess on which of Saretsky's recent initiatives Ed rolls back first? My money's on Basic Economy.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by J. Leslie
Anyone want to venture a guess on which of Saretsky's recent initiatives Ed rolls back first? My money's on Basic Economy.
​​​​​​​Product offerings are continually changing, but the Revenue Management team that determines fare types reported to Ed in his previous EVP role, so I don’t see a change here.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Interesting days ahead... That's for sure.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Ed has certainly not been around long enough to take over as CEO. This is very weird. Externally, it appears that WS is doing really well. Could this be Swoop related? What a weird way for WS to announce things. Very un Westjet
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:09 pm

WestJet CEO steps down in surprise leadership change | Labor content from ATWOnline

The leadership move comes following a Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) ruling on pilot staffing at WestJet’s new ultra-LCC subsidiary, Swoop, which threatens to derail plans to launch the carrier in June—although it is unknown whether that played a role in the decision to make a CEO change.

But the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA)—which started representing the 2,000 pilots at WestJet and Encore last May and is in the process of negotiating WestJet pilots’ first-ever labor contract—filed an “unfair labor practice” complaint with CIRB, alleging WestJet was circumventing negotiations with the union and going directly to pilots to staff Swoop’s roster.

“It’s not about holding up Swoop,” Canoll said. “It’s about getting to real negotiations right away … This can be put together … Let’s get it done. Swoop is coming. We’d love to bargain on that.”
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Ed has certainly not been around long enough to take over as CEO. This is very weird. Externally, it appears that WS is doing really well. Could this be Swoop related? What a weird way for WS to announce things. Very un Westjet
Well if the employees are united in their dislike of the CEO, perhaps its that unusual.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
No doubt ALPA president Tim Canoll would love to start negotiating. It's easy when the person across the table is already over a barrel.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
unionization does not explain Saretsky's departure

I seriously doubt that Saretsky's suddent departure is because the pilots unionized. I know that is in the headlines, but where is the proof?
I question whether it is due to the lack of strategic direction? I see new aircraft on order - incl. the 787 - but - where is the beef? (I know many WS defenders say its coming, but again, where is the evidence?)
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I seriously doubt that Saretsky's suddent departure is because the pilots unionized. I know that is in the headlines, but where is the proof?
I question whether it is due to the lack of strategic direction? I see new aircraft on order - incl. the 787 - but - where is the beef? (I know many WS defenders say its coming, but again, where is the evidence?)
As a longtime WestJetter and also one in a more senior position, I can tell you that there is a very strong strategy in place, but also a need for secrecy. In the past WestJet was a leaky sieve in keeping information confidential, everybody thought they had a right to know what was going on, sometimes to the detriment of market position when leaks have happened.

Expect more moments of surprise in the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.