Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet launches Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
WestJet launches Basic Economy

WestJet has joined AC and the U.S. legacy carriers ... now offering a new, bottom-of-the-barrel fare class.

It's called "Econo (Lowest)", as opposed to the previously-lowest fare which is called "Econo". (No, that won't cause any confusion at all.)

Here's the text, just updated on WestJet's web-site:

Econo (Lowest)

Available on select routes and flights, this basic economy fare is for you if your plans are set in stone and you don’t mind where you sit. We understand that you just want to get to your destination for less than other available fares. If you select this option, please understand that this is our most restrictive fare, and it’s non-refundable. You are not able to make changes, so if cancelled more than 24-hours after booking, no funds will be placed in a Travel Bank account. Your seats will be assigned at the time of check in, but, if needed, your seats can be changed at this time, for a fee. Also, WestJet dollars cannot be earned on this fare.8,14
And here's the fine print for "8" and "14", referenced in the description:

8 / All fares are non-refundable to the original form of payment except for Plus (Flexible). After the cancellation fee has been assessed, the remainder will be placed in a Travel Bank for future use. The exception is Econo (Lowest), which is non-refundable after 24 hours of booking.
14 / An Econo (Lowest) fare will have a seat assigned during check in; guests have the option to move to another seat for an additional fee at time of check in. In the event a seat number is not automatically generated after checking in, a seat will be assigned at the gate before boarding.
Source is here:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...-fares/options

In short:
- no changes at all, not even for a change fee
- no WestJet Rewards dollar accrual or credit
- no upgrading to Plus
- they choose and automatically assign the seat to you at T-24 hours, or - sometimes, it says - you won't get a seat assigned until you're at the gate, just prior to boarding
- if you don't like your seat, you pay (even though you're in the check-in window) to change to a different seat

Last edited by FlyerJ; Feb 27, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
By no upgrading to Plus, do you mean no calling in to change fare class to Plus or no option to do the 24 hour upgrade to Plus?

This pretty much killed WS for me for any work related travel. Was really hoping they didn't follow suit... Would still fly WS if LMU to Plus is available for non stop vacation flights.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
By no upgrading to Plus, do you mean no calling in to change fare class to Plus or no option to do the 24 hour upgrade to Plus?

This pretty much killed WS for me for any work related travel. Was really hoping they didn't follow suit... Would still fly WS if LMU to Plus is available for non stop vacation flights.
Econo fare will still have full Plus LMU capability, Econo (Lowest) fare will not have and Plus upgrade capability at any time.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

Just don't book the lowest fare. I read it as no upgrades to plus at all, at any time.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms

All you have to do is not choose that particular fare and nothing else changes.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
A lot of people don't get that choice.

Hopefully "Select Routes" means someone else has to offer a Basic Economy fare on a given route first.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Oh boy, here we go following AC. Why not be different and not follow AC? Will Econo Lowest be rock bottom prices? Why do they need to create this when Swoop is supposed to take care of the no frill rock bottom price sensitive traveller?

As for seats auto assigned during check in with no ability to choose, what about families with children? Will they auto assign them together? I would expect Swoop level prices for this Econo Lowest fare.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Feb 27, 2018 at 3:36 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

My employer’s online travel booking system no longer defaults to the lowest fare ... at least for U.S. carriers. (It’s a U.S. company.). “Lowest available fare” used to be company policy, but they’ve decided that the Basic Economy products of UA, DL, et al are too restrictive for business travel.

I sure hope they do the same thing for WS and AC.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Ugh yeah I don't have a choice, I need to book the lowest fare with WS and this kills it for me

I have a 100% success ratio of upgrading to plus at LMU, has been amazing value
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sounds like I picked the right time to cancel my WestJet credit card and bail on the airline.

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
they’ve decided that the Basic Economy products of UA, DL, et al are too restrictive for business travel.
I don't know about DL, but UA doesn't even offer Basic Economy on flights to/from Canada.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I don't know about DL, but UA doesn't even offer Basic Economy on flights to/from Canada.
Correct, not on any transborder routes yet, but the U.S. majors have indicated that those “basic” fares are coming everywhere eventually. We’ll see.

Not sure I understand why this would make someone abandon WestJet and the WJ credit card specifically?? Almost every single legacy airline in North America now either has “Basic” — or has announced it. (I think only Alaska hasn’t — yet.). And all of them - for the time being - are deploying it on “select routes”. There’s really nowhere to go to escape it.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sounds like I picked the right time to cancel my WestJet credit card and bail on the airline.

I have seen them on DL to Cda never would buy them though.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
So does Basic Economy = Swoop Fancy?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AC 35k
Anyone know on which routes this fare is even offered?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I see the Econo Lowest showing up on searches now but N/A on the routes I looked at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.