Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tips for getting Plus seats at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for getting Plus seats at check in?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by tcook052
To each their own. I've lost count of the number of phone fumblers who hold up the line at security.
Usually because they lose the wi-fi connection and have to re-connect while the agent stands there waiting for them. Just save the BP as a PFD, save to Apple Wallet, or take a screen shot of it so you don't need wifi ... problem solved.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:49 pm

Better still, add your wallet to the control centre on an Apple device, so it is quickly accessible from the locked screen: https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-ac...ter-on-iphone/
Symmetre likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by mxqisit
Print my boarding pass? I guess I'll take a horse-drawn carriage to the airport while I'm at it.

That would be the coolest thing EVER!

Besides, being stuck behind someone who can't find the right screen on their phone with the BP on it, or has to enter the password or, or, or (make your own joke) is one of the least fun things to do at the airport. It's right up there with SSSS!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Just save the BP as a PFD, save to Apple Wallet, or take a screen shot of it so you don't need wifi ... problem solved.
You forgot to mention carrying another battery. It's poor technology that makes you jump through hoops to work around its deficiencies. Paper is 100% reliable.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Several
Only paper for me. One is so I can keep the boarding pass until I see my points post - sort of a reminder.
The main reason - I once saw someone hand their phone to the security screener and crash to the floor.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
Better still, add your wallet to the control centre on an Apple device, so it is quickly accessible from the locked screen: https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-ac...ter-on-iphone/
Now that's pretty slick. Thanks for the tip, aerobod!

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You forgot to mention carrying another battery. It's poor technology that makes you jump through hoops to work around its deficiencies. Paper is 100% reliable.
To each their own. I can't say I've ever had any battery issues.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:38 pm

if you check the settings in iphone you can also have it so you wallet boarding pass shows on the locked screen and you can just swipe to access it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The way to get Plus which works for me 100% this year is to pay for Plus when you buy your ticket. You can even pick the good seats at the same time.
Can't imagine Golds won't exploit the availability benefit before the non Golds at Christmas.
And wanting 3 seats, too, crikey, there's a stretch. Since there may well be purchased Plus without seats selected.
I wonder what happened?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Also keep in mind:

If someone is flying YEG-YYC-LHR with an overnight in YYC, they are able to check in and pay for plus for YEG-YYC-LHR the day before a person who is flying non stop YYC-LHR. So more plus seats can drop even before the T-24 check in.

Best you can do is either pay to upgrade to plus or hope for the best at T-24

I find the LHR routes are snapped up almost immediately by T-24. I've never had the option of not buying Plus on any US/Canada route with Westjet(I always end up buying because they are so cheap)
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Also keep in mind:

If someone is flying YEG-YYC-LHR with an overnight in YYC, they are able to check in and pay for plus for YEG-YYC-LHR the day before a person who is flying non stop YYC-LHR. So more plus seats can drop even before the T-24 check in.)
For flights originating out of YYC (or YVR/YYZ for that matter), I have noticed that a couple of days out every Plus seat could be available, but then at 24 hours out there are only 1 or 2 Plus seats left. I have been assuming that folks with connecting flights into YYC have been getting the upgrade offer at their check-in window thus they are effectively able to get early access to the Plus seats before local YYC originating guests.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS
For flights originating out of YYC (or YVR/YYZ for that matter), I have noticed that a couple of days out every Plus seat could be available, but then at 24 hours out there are only 1 or 2 Plus seats left. I have been assuming that folks with connecting flights into YYC have been getting the upgrade offer at their check-in window thus they are effectively able to get early access to the Plus seats before local YYC originating guests.
Thus even more reason to buy Plus than to play this lottery with such low odds of success.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Just to update anyone who wants to know. I finished my ski trip at Banff. It was great. When I checked in, there were still five open Plus seats and I got my 3 seats.
It is hard to pay for plus fare out right when UA first is selling about $150 cheaper (but still more expensive than 24 hours check in Plus seat buy up).

Since my trip was originating from an outpost, there should be no connecting traffic to buy the seat more than 24 hours.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Thanks for your note

Can you provide details on your exact route and share the pricing differences between the WS/UA route? Just curious.

Did you find the meal/service/seat at a better value compared to what you would have received flying UA F for what you saved?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Thanks for your note

Can you provide details on your exact route and share the pricing differences between the WS/UA route? Just curious.

Did you find the meal/service/seat at a better value compared to what you would have received flying UA F for what you saved?
I was flying IAH YYC. The plus fare is $511 vs cheapest UA F $386 one way. UA is 2x 2 domestic first class seat. vs 3 x 3 with middle seat block off. The plus seat is comfortable enough with middle seat block off as I am not a "wide" person. UA meal service is a tad better with more proper presentation, but the quality is more or less the same. Overall, I will not let seat comfort and service to be determining factor. So if buying outright, UA is the way to go because it is cheaper.

The best bargain is cheap WS fare with buy up at check in, but it is a gamble. For my next trip, it is either UA $390 first vs WS $105 with possible buy up at $80 and one check bag of $25. So I am putting my guarantee trip comfort at value of $185 for a 4 hours flight. Is it worth it, I have yet decided for myself. One side of me will like to gamble and save some money, the other side will hate me if I am stuck in the regular Y seat ( can't get exit row since there is a child in our party)

If UA sell out its cheap first class fare, then it will be easy choice (gamble for the Plus seat at check in).
This is just my own analysis for my own situation. Everyone, of course, will be different.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:40 pm

On a four hour flight with a price difference of under $200, sorry but I would buy UA F in a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.