Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:44 am

Simon Soni joined us last month in a newly created position as Director of Catering Services. He brings excellent airline catering experience from Qatar (where he was VP of Catering), Etihad, Virgin Atlantic and British Airways:
Arthurrs and Symmetre like this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Fisch
New Plus Menu begins today 21DEC!
Any details?? Whats on the new menu? Are there choices now?

Are there new items, or is it back to the old stuff, or is it just select something from main cabin product, or ????

I dont see anything on the website...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
What's a Sun destination flight?
Please go to www.aircanada.ca for its official definition of "sun destinations":

I did not pick the term randomly.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aerobod
Simon Soni joined us last month in a newly created position as Director of Catering Services. He brings excellent airline catering experience from Qatar (where he was VP of Catering), Etihad, Virgin Atlantic and British Airways:
One assumes he doesn't actually eat the food or ask people who do eat the food if they like the food?
The mentioned airlines offer choice which as part of his mandate, he seems to have forgotten.
Also they offer edible food.
So not sure what you are bragging about, as it just makes the experience so far even more confusing because there is no buffoon to blame.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Please go to www.aircanada.ca for its official definition of "sun destinations":

I did not pick the term randomly.
Yeah, they don't actually define it there either.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:35 pm

New Plus Menu begins today 21DEC! It's an interim measure, but will stabilize the Plus experience until proper new menu begins in very early 2018. The "Booster Bowls" and "Chia Bowls" are gone.
You have to hand it to an airline aiming for business travelers for being able to introduce and eliminate an entire "food experience" in about a month.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:42 pm

One assumes he doesn't actually eat the food or ask people who do eat the food if they like the food?
The mentioned airlines offer choice which as part of his mandate, he seems to have forgotten.
Also they offer edible food.
So not sure what you are bragging about, as it just makes the experience so far even more confusing because there is no buffoon to blame.
Simon has nothing to do with the current offering, the day he started was about the same day this thread started.

Considering he has been in the job for about 4 weeks, I would give him a bit of time to make changes. The logistics of lining up relevant suppliers, menus, delivery changes, crew training, etc is a bit more time consuming than nipping down to Safeway for a roast chicken and a loaf of bread

Change will be coming.......
Arthurrs likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Member

No, it is a new, strictly Plus offering:

0430-0929 departures choice of:
- Greek Yogurt Parfait
- Turkey and Cheddar Croissant
- Bistro Box (cheese and fruit tray)

0930-evening (not including redeyes) choice of:
- Chicken Caesar Wrap with tortilla chips and salsa
- Baja Bowl
- Bistro Box

Redeyes choice of:
- Greek Yogurt Parfait
- Bistro Box
ottobud, SKYEG and Fiordland like this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
You have to hand it to an airline aiming for business travelers for being able to introduce and eliminate an entire "food experience" in about a month.
I am surprised they could move that quickly.

I have no inside knowledge. However the cv of the new guy running catering suggests he knows something about airline catering.

I could easily see his first reaction being "Oh my god. How can we do this. We can't. Get the suppliers on the phone, what can stuff into those little metal carts ASAP instead of kale."

The result: Yogurt, croissants, cheese and deli meats.

The pre-ordered three month supply of kale and whatever trending grain they are using will likely end up being disposed by the catering company with the local food bank.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
[QUOTE=Fiordland;29207707]I am surprised they could move that quickly.

If that was the only combination that airlines ever had, I'd be OK with that.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I am surprised they could move that quickly.

I have no inside knowledge. However the cv of the new guy running catering suggests he knows something about airline catering.

I could easily see his first reaction being "Oh my god. How can we do this. We can't. Get the suppliers on the phone, what can stuff into those little metal carts ASAP instead of kale."

The pre-ordered three month supply of kale and whatever trending grain they are using will likely end up being disposed by the catering company with the local food bank.
Also, the transition to Gate Gourmet from in-house catering was only completed in Oct, so the new processes and procedures are still in the early stages: WestJet will outsource in-flight food services

Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
proper new menu begins in very early 2018.
Any idea how early? I fly on the 6th. (Assuming they actually put enough food on the airplane.)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod

Simon has nothing to do with the current offering, the day he started was about the same day this thread started.

Considering he has been in the job for about 4 weeks, I would give him a bit of time to make changes. The logistics of lining up relevant suppliers, menus, delivery changes, crew training, etc is a bit more time consuming than nipping down to Safeway for a roast chicken and a loaf of bread

Change will be coming.......
When does senior management apologize to Plus passengers (like me, who actually pay in advance for Flex Plus) for the shambles of the program that has come and gone? They should. It was a mess and showed zero ability to run this component of an airlines.

WestJet lost vs. earned points from their hoped for business audience with this mess.

Suggest they go through the last quarter paid Plus lists and send out an e-mail saying they blew it and they will try harder. They send enough e-mails with "free dollars" good for 12 hours so they must be able to whip up a few thousand apologies.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:12 pm

No, it is a new, strictly Plus offering:

0430-0929 departures choice of:
- Greek Yogurt Parfait
- Bistro Box (cheese and fruit tray)

0930-evening (not including redeyes) choice of:
- Baja Bowl
- Bistro Box

Redeyes choice of:
- Greek Yogurt Parfait
- Bistro Box
They really don't need to show red-eyes as a distinct category because it is exactly the same as 0430 to 0929.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.

Okay... this is an improvement over the wretched "power bowls" but I would still rather have the old cobb salad and the ham and swiss.

First of all this wrap really is quite good, however I didn't care for the gritty texture of the tortilla and it could have done with a little more filling because the last two inches of the wrap was really just the tortilla folded in on itself. However the corn chips are flavorless and the salsa (which is the same salsa included in the baja bowl) is basically ketchup. The package had no Chopped Leaf branding. I didn't think to take a picture before opening it.

I would definitely have it again if offered over the other alternatives but I wasn't complaining about what was being offered pre-Chopped Leaf.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.