Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The only Golds on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The only Golds on a flight?

We took a flight from SFO to YVR today, and I believe we were the only two Golds on the flight. I asked about a Plus upgrade just before boarding, and the agent already knew who I was. On the flight, the FA also waid she was going to move us up if the gate agent didn't. Then, when she was making her announcements and thanked the passengers and WestJet Rewards members, she called us out by name (though I'm not really sure I approve of that part).

Is Gold really that rare in the program?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
No, it's just been a heavy focus for the past few months and it'll continue to be moving forward.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: West Jet Gold, IHG Gold Elite, National Executive Elite
There seems to be a lack of consistency with how the Plus seats are managed by gate personal. There have been times when I have been upgraded and other times Plus seats have remained empty while the rest of the flight is full. Would be nice if FA's had more authority especially if they know who the Golf flyers are.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Or people could pay for Plus when they reserve or when they check in and not grouse about not getting something for nothing.
The Lev likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
I was on a Sunday PM flight a couple of months ago, that hit an irop. I was the only gold on the otherwise full YUL-YYZ flight. WS was exceptional in how they handled the situation. Many of the others sat for hours waiting for a flight out or a solution. I will miss the status when mine expires in Dec and I switch back to AC where my *G status will offer some advantages.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This might be something they are doing because at many stations gate agents do not GAF about Golds
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
As a Gold, there are plenty of times where I haven’t requested a free upgrade to Plus. If I really want Plus, and if one is available, I’ll buy the upgrade at check-in. If I don’t buy it, I’ll just take my regular seat without fanfare.

And I’ll only do the zone 1 boarding if I’m concerned about bin space. If not, I’d rather spend less time - not more - sitting in an airplane seat ... so I prefer to be last on, not first!

No observer at the gate would ever have any reason to guess that I had elevated status with WS.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Oct 2, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:24 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We took a flight from SFO to YVR today, and I believe we were the only two Golds on the flight. I asked about a Plus upgrade just before boarding, and the agent already knew who I was. On the flight, the FA also waid she was going to move us up if the gate agent didn't. Then, when she was making her announcements and thanked the passengers and WestJet Rewards members, she called us out by name (though I'm not really sure I approve of that part).

Hi @mahasamatman,

Thank you for sharing details of your experience, and for your continued loyalty with WestJet Rewards. We would like to look into this particular inflight announcement; can you please send us a private message with your six-letter reservation code so we may forward this along for review?

Mandy
WestJet
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:47 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Gunner123456
There seems to be a lack of consistency with how the Plus seats are managed by gate personal. There have been times when I have been upgraded and other times Plus seats have remained empty while the rest of the flight is full. Would be nice if FA's had more authority especially if they know who the Golf flyers are.
I'd much rather them upgrade Gold/Silver member first before processing standby flyers. There's been occasions where I want to use my upgrade voucher and approached gate agent as they come in, only to be told they're busy and just started and asked to come back later. I then watch the empty plus space get filled (on EF) as they process standby passengers that missed flights etc and at that point I just don't bother anymore.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:18 pm

Missed flights possibly due to WS problems don't merit a seat ahead of your non-paid upgrade? You have a seat already and could have either reserved Plus or upgraded at check-in vs. playing the gamble. Maybe the standby missed and such are just as Gold as you are.

I am 100% in Plus on WS this and last year using the secret method - buy Plus seats. Simple as pie.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:31 pm
jix

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Missed flights possibly due to WS problems don't merit a seat ahead of your non-paid upgrade? You have a seat already and could have either reserved Plus or upgraded at check-in vs. playing the gamble. Maybe the standby missed and such are just as Gold as you are.

I am 100% in Plus on WS this and last year using the secret method - buy Plus seats. Simple as pie.
Don't confirmed passengers have higher priority than standby passenger? I thought that's the rule across almost all airlines. Like non-rev always goes last...etc

I'm pretty sure they're not originally in plus seat and have no status. The agent just gave it away to them due to larger family group size so they can be together. Their surprise when called to board and seeing the front seats say it all pretty much. I also don't know whether it was a missed flight or they simply want to stand by for earlier.

I'm fine with accommodating people to whatever seats available on flight, whether plus or not, but it was annoying and disappointing to see the agent give them away when I'm just 2 meter away and literally discussed using the voucher minutes before. It would have been nice to know some published priority/guideline on WS similar to other airlines or just invest in a computer system that does it automatically.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We took a flight from SFO to YVR today, and I believe we were the only two Golds on the flight.
<snip>
I was on WS 706 earlier this week. I must have been the only Gold on the nearly full plane. When I boarded (last on the plane) I noticed there were 3 open Plus seats. Once we were at cruising altitude the lead FA came to my seat and offered me a complimentary upgrade and that I was welcome to take one of the 3 open Plus seats. I was the only one moved up.

A nice, and unexpected, surprise.

Thanks, WestJet!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Don't confirmed passengers have higher priority than standby passenger? I thought that's the rule across almost all airlines. Like non-rev always goes last...etc.
AC passengers are complaining about the same thing (flight leaving with 9 of 12 seats unused and an ignored upgrade list) so at least you're not alone.

Missed flights where WS is at fault are not standby passengers. They are passengers where WS failed at their job and have to fix it. They deserve priority, to be fair. Actually they deserve to get where they are going on time to begin with.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:28 pm
jix

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
AC passengers are complaining about the same thing (flight leaving with 9 of 12 seats unused and an ignored upgrade list) so at least you're not alone.

Missed flights where WS is at fault are not standby passengers. They are passengers where WS failed at their job and have to fix it. They deserve priority, to be fair. Actually they deserve to get where they are going on time to begin with.
Right, and I completely agree that if the flight can accommodate additional passengers when there is room they should. The problem with WS is there is no consistency and it's up to the gate agent. On some full flights they'll upgrade Gold members automatically to Plus seats, but other times they'll just give it to standby passengers for whatever (plus) seat available ignoring gold upgrade requests.

Anyways, it really doesn't matter since the only WS flights I take are YYZ-LGA, I just have a hard time trying to use any of the vouchers they gave me.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:26 pm

The key as with all airlines is for people to stop assuming they are assured things not paid for and if they don't get something to stop whinging they didn't.

In order of surety on Plus, the first method is Plus flexible though now so grossly overpriced the premium is almost as much as the lower non-flexible fare so you better change a lot and need the money and/or never plan on a WS flight again. They have priced themselves into the range of real business class with real seats, service, lounges and flexibility without actually having any of these things except a refund/no fee change. But the cost is like paying 100% of the value of your car each year for insurance.

So that goes to Plus-not-as-flexible-but-more-so-than-most (and cheaper than most). Which is a good enough deal with modest costs for changes and sort of refunds as long as you fly again.

Next you can go for the cheapo upgrade at checkin if it's available. Since complaints emanate here from people that did not get something for free at the gate, it's fair to assume that all these seats were available for the $50 or $100 whatever, fee at the time they checked in. Otherwise they would not have been open at the gate either. So pay a small amount, come on Morty, meet me half way and at least buy a lottery ticket.

Finally gamble on gate agents interested and able to upgrade in the midst of standby, delayed and so on, and don't be surprised if they don't do it, and certainly stop complaining they didn't. You paid nothing to get nothing.

I have Gold and I pay for Plus Flexible or Plus other so I always have a seat in Plus and don't expect them to throw me a bone. I am not flying in steerage 3 X 3 for 5 hours to YVR or SJO because I won't spend money on any of these options. But I won't risk checkin Plus either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.