Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by SKYEG
It's extremely likely Swoop will book WS for IRROPS on the routes they fly WS and Swoop, let me know where your sources are saying otherwise??? That'd be terrible business and WS is smarter than that.

Very hard to believe anyone could have an extreme positive experience on an ULCC, so please explain how your friend's experience was "opposite" of ours, as that means they had an exceptional, above and beyond experience compared to the dismal service we received.
I would agree, given they are related companies I just don't see the situation where Swoop is in trouble and empty seats on WS are not made available.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I was told by a friend with inside connections at Westjet that Swoop has no pilots and that ALPA will blacklist any pilot who goes over to fly non union for Swoop. I suspect it maybe Westjet flying these Swoop routes in June

The one problem with this statement is the union does not have a say in blacklisting new hires. WS can hire who they want to, the union is then forced to represent that employee. This blacklist nonsense is setting up the union to have a rough relationship with some of its future new members.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Update : Flair cancels her return too and she pays last minute to book WS. Stil can't get a hold of anyone on call centre. Lol. How are they still in business ?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Since you asked. My friend flew RT with Flair, had no problem at all. She had to add her daughter on the PNR after and call centre staff was very friendly and took care of it without a long wait. She paid for one check bag when she bought the ticket and had a good experience. She would fly them again. I am not discounting what your girls went through but my friend had a great experience and she said she would fly them again. You hear stories like this with any airline, AC and WJ included. I went on Facebook to compare the comments posted on Flair vs. WJ vs. AC. There are plenty of complaints on all 3 Facebook sites. Do your girls have travel insurance to buy them a new ticket? I just called Flair to see for myself and was put on hold for 13 mins and I hung up. Passengers who are waiting for hours on hold deserve better than that. I hope Flair steps up their game.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Feb 26, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
You hear of stories like this with when you're an airline of AC/WS size, with many more pax, destinations, and planes. Higher chance of IRROPS. Flair has 7 destinations and a total of... wait for it... SEVEN PLANES. I'm not even talking about their cancellations, it's their lack of accommodating and even notifying of IRROPS, having no desire to act, correct, rectify or even the capabilities to help. I haven't heard of these type of issues occur with the other charter LCC's such as Sunwing and Air Transat, let alone WS/AC. I guarantee AC/WS will pick up the phone, even after hours on hold. Flair just puts you on hold and hangs up on you after a few hours.

As a frequent flyer holding status with many different airlines for many years, I can tell you I have never heard of and/or experienced such terrible customer service and disorganized operations. How is it that the 4 people that I personally know all had terrible first experiences with Flair? It's consistent. They are incapable, and management doesn't care. They still haven't replied to our emails, twitter, instagram and yet they retweet about their sales? I also reached out to their management team. Not even an acknowledgement. I know they know, they just don't care. Looks like our issue isn't isolated looking at their twitter feed... People are starting to call them out on their incompetencies.

Not saying your friends positive didn't happen(I'm very happy for him/her) but based on what I know and how they've responded so far, I'd stay FAR away from these guys. They won't last long. It's a crap shoot, save $100 now to spend $2000 later. Don't do it. Spend the extra $ on WS/AC for peace of mind. Just warning FTer's that are looking at booking Flair. Just don't.

Their lack of full refund and the $100 they offered in credit restricted to that passenger only(and only on future flair bookings) is just insulting. If I wrote in about this type of experience with AC, UA or even WS, not only would it never have happened(as they would have accommodated and dealt with it at that time), their compensation would be at least $500-$1000 per pax. I guess it's ULCC, no money and they don't care to save face(Ryanair).

Swoop will be different because they will have WS behind them. I can almost guarantee it.

Lol I get worked up talking about this because I knew as soon as they booked Flair, I was like "ugh ULCC... w/e they saved some $ and let's hope it goes well, we need some competition to drive down prices in Canada"... 0/4. LOL .

Not at all optimistic about Jetlines planning to fly this summer anymore.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
My cousins came to YWG from YHM over Christmas... both of their evening flights ended up becoming dead of night flights due to a cascading series of delays.

I am a pretty cheap ....... and even I would consider all available alternatives before booking on Flair. Especially if I had to be somewhere for a specific event.
SKYEG likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Westjet ordered to change hiring practice for Swoop pilots

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/canadas-westjet-ordered-to-change-hiring-practices-for-new-no-frills-carrier/ar-BBJX8cT?li=AAacUQk&ocid=spartandhp

"Canada's WestJet Airlines must change its hiring strategy for the company's new bargain carrier, Swoop, an Air Line Pilots Association executive said on Tuesday, citing a recent Canadian labor board order."
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:30 pm

CEO expects labour agreement by June.

https://www.bnn.ca/new-westjet-ceo-e...june-1.1058162
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by tracon
CEO expects labour agreement by June.

https://www.bnn.ca/new-westjet-ceo-e...june-1.1058162
Me thinks that will be music to the WS ALPA pilots..
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:27 pm

WestJet hiring of pilots for Swoop hampering contract efforts, says union

WestJet hiring of pilots for Swoop hampering contract efforts, says union

Among them is the decision to hire outside pilots for Swoop, which is set to launch service in June.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ctober-449522/
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Well, that didn't take long. Hold on kids, here we go!
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If you Swoop more of my routes I will have no reason left to be loyal to Westjet since I won’t earn anything on Swoop.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
If you Swoop more of my routes I will have no reason left to be loyal to Westjet since I won’t earn anything on Swoop.
There are significant limits on where Swoop can be used, by design to keep costs 30% less than mainline (7c CASM ex-fuel compared with 10c):

- point-to-point only, no connections (mainline is the hub operator)
- no feed to and from mainline or any partners
- no reservation system integration with mainline (keeps IT system costs much lower)
- low cost airports (why YYC, YYZ and YVR will not be major operations, if at all)

The networks will have to exist alongside each other meeting different needs, otherwise mainline’s goals for business travellers, hub operation and partner integration won’t be met, nor Swoop’s 30% lower cost targets.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
There are significant limits on where Swoop can be used...
...low cost airports (why YYC, YYZ and YVR will not be major operations, if at all)
YHM instead of YYZ and YXX instead of YVR has already been announced. I wonder what the “instead of” city will be for YYC (Red Deer?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.