Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy

YHM instead of YYZ and YXX instead of YVR has already been announced. I wonder what the “instead of” city will be for YYC (Red Deer?)
Canada Jetlines say they will fly to Red Deer as the airport for Calgary, the runway is now long enough to take a 737-800. I wouldn’t rule it out.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by aerobod

Canada Jetlines say they will fly to Red Deer as the airport for Calgary, the runway is now long enough to take a 737-800. I wouldn’t rule it out.
The Red Deer airport can't comfortably accommodate the passengers on a DHC-8.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Error 601
The Red Deer airport can't comfortably accommodate the passengers on a DHC-8.
Nothing an insulated steel building with a bit of heat and a bare concrete floor can’t handle - Ryanair and the “terminal” at Frankfurt Hahn (125km from Frankfurt city centre) when they operated there, springs to mind.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:31 pm

Let's remember that Canada Jetlines, and every statement they make, are still vaporware and designed to do nothing more than drum up more investors.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
Swoop international flying was reported a few months ago - I seem to remember it being in a WestJet investor call?

I expect WestJet's Abbotsford and Hamilton transborder/ international routes will be the first to be Swooped. I believe they're all early morning departures/ late night arrivals, so they're not dependant on network or connecting traffic. In Abbotsford that's LAS and PVR; Hamilton it's LAS and MCO. In time, anything international from non-base airports will go, too.

I'll be interested to see how WestJet Rewards/ WestJet loyalty factors into this. Presumably non-base international flying is important for traveller loyalty to WestJet, particularly as a "burn" for WestJet dollars earned from business travel. I wonder if the big push for Swoop international flying will have to wait until WestJet dollar burn can be used on Swoop flights (which I heard is going to be a thing--but not earn on Swoop).

JFB.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Everything flying out of Hamilton will be Swooped. As much as it's convenient to me, it's a dead airport. One airline after another has found that it's just about impossible to make any money flying out of there. There are no connections, the airport terminal is little more than a glorified tool shed and the population it serves just don't fly anywhere.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Everything flying out of Hamilton will be Swooped. As much as it's convenient to me, it's a dead airport. One airline after another has found that it's just about impossible to make any money flying out of there. There are no connections, the airport terminal is little more than a glorified tool shed and the population it serves just don't fly anywhere.
Yeah, unfortunate if they don't keep at least one or two mainline flights a day once swoop takes over. As much as I find this airport to be conveniently close to home (20 minute drive), most of the people using this airport are going to vacation destinations, usually on a direct flight somewhere sunny. It was nice when there were plentiful flights in the summer season, I could fly in and out of Calgary/Edmonton in one day for quick business meeting, but come fall they cut down on the number of flights, and the return becomes a red eye that I would rather not take. The airport is very small, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a shed. It's one of the busiest cargo airports in Canada. Passenger traffic is secondary. I find YYZ to be a better choice with all the travel options there.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: WestJet Rewards, Aeroplan
I'd be... swooper-surprised (sorry)... if they Swooped YHM-YYC. They've been pretty clear about not cannibalizing WestJet's YYC fortress and don't seem to want the pink planes anywhere near Calgary.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
A WestJet pilot told me the message they received was Swoop could potentially go anywhere if WestJet decides that Swoop is the correct competitive response, but their intentions are to stay true to the ULCC business model. He said the big concern is the airports might subsidize the ULCC competitors coming to major airports to their's and Air Canada's determent.

Last edited by Error 601; Jun 19, 2018 at 4:03 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
WestJet's discount airline Swoop makes maiden flight from Hamilton | CBC News
Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:04 pm

I fly on Swoop tomorrow evening. Wish me luck!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:10 am

Where to, mxqisit? I have Swoop YHM - YHZ this evening. Figured I had to try it.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Where to, mxqisit? I have Swoop YHM - YHZ this evening. Figured I had to try it.
Assume you'll be on the same flight. AFAIK there are currently only 2 Swoop routes. YHM-YXX which departs in the morning, and YHM-YHZ which departs in the evening (if you count 17:00 as evening).
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Want to fly with WestJet’s discount airline Swoop? You won’t find it on Expedia

https://globalnews.ca/news/4288107/w...swoop-expedia/
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:16 pm

Swoop Review

First review of Swoop - here we go.

Like a lot of business travelers I was more than a bit concerned when Westjet first announced Swoop. Having gone through AC’s rouging of so many routes, my first thought was oh no, here we go again. So I decided I should probably check it out first-hand and a last-minute trip to Halifax provided the perfect opportunity. The flight from YHM was $99 each way. I also sprung for an extra legroom seat (located at the front of the cabin) for $19 per segment, which seems a reasonable cost for another maybe 3 inches of space.

Seats appear to be the same ones Westjet uses in its mainline fleet, only the seat headliner being changed to a bright (garish?) pink. A planeload of these pink headliners – complete with the pink stripes running along the length of the overhead bins, is a bit much IMHO but you only get the full effect when you board, so fair enough. Underseat space is the same as the mainline fleet, reduced in the aisle seats, and sharing space with a steel box in the middle seats. Window seats get the most underseat space. All seats have AC power. Comfort was ok for a two hour flight. Only had an overnight bag; since it fit under the seat ahead of me, I did not have to pay for checked luggage or a carry-on bag.

The ticket purchase went without a hitch, as did OLCI. I downloaded the Swoop app, in-flight entertainment is limited but streams fairly well. They do have in-flight internet, which I did not try. In-flight service consists of various sundry snacks and drinks, some beer and some wine – all at a cost. Prices seemed reasonable, but I didn’t bother. Cabin crew was pleasant enough.

If you go with the extra legroom seat, it’s not too bad. Standard seats look pretty tight from what I saw. If they keep the fares low, even with the extra fees it still works out cheaper than rouge, so on that basis Swoop should do pretty well. My flight was absolutely packed.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but then I’m not really target market. Pax on the flight I took were a mix of seniors who probably last flew in the 70s, and many young families with multiple screaming kids. Oh – and they all clap like hell upon landing. The couple seated next to me even brought their own toilet paper ... yes it did make a trip up the aisle at one point, and no, I’m not kidding.

That’s what you get in the cheap seats. So if you wind up on Swoop make sure you arrive with headphones - and plenty of patience for all the screaming toddlers.

Extra legroom seating. I'm 6' 1". Did not try the standard seat, but it looked visibly tighter.

Menu.

App display.

Internet pricing in app.

Not kidding about pax bringing their own toilet paper. You can't make up stuff like this.
YYCguy and 24left like this.

Last edited by Symmetre; Jun 21, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.