Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is Westjet The Only Remaining Airline At SJO to not Collect Departure Taxes?

Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

One truly lamentable thing about WS is that they along with Spirit failed to include departure taxes with the fare at SJO (San Jose Costa Rica). This means queuing up for 30-45 minutes before checkin to pay the $37. Or whatever it is. The lines were slow and contained WS and Spirit passengers, on my last trip.

Spirit is now collecting them. Anyone with actual experience since say April, know if WS is doing the same?

I am thinking at some point SJO will want to shut down such a time waster if WS is the odd man out. If Spirit will lay out the scratch then there's no excuse to be worse than them.

I asked on Twitter and amazingly they gave me a dissertation on what departure taxes are and did not actually answer the question which is all in all, pretty lousy service, reply-wise. Hey WestJet, you do or you don't and if not what is stopping you?

I am wondering if SJO will force the issue with one airline out of dozens not doing something so simple.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Same happens at LIR for WestJet.

(I'm not sure if any other carriers are stuck in the dark ages in Costa Rica, but it sure is a pain.)
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

There is one other, the technology rich Cubana. I figured Spirit was never including it because it might cost money to implement and they do have a reputation for being very low cost so fair enough. Except, whoops, they went and did it.

When I asked WS via Twitter they said they do collect for SFO. I had to point out SFO and SJO are not the same airport, or even the same country.

So another $2,000 to Copa next month, that's $6,000 in full fare Plus WS has lost this year. Copa sells actual J with free lounges and taxes included so why pay WS other than for the non-stop flight? Can't see it. They can't either, I guess. How stubborn.

Rouge is not an option either, mind you.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I really do find it odd that WestJet hasn’t fixed this.

It really makes for an awful customer experience at check-in for flights departing Costa Rica.

I can only assume it’s because they don’t see the extra effort (whether that’s IT, accounting, or regulatory with the CR authorities) worth it since SJO and LIR are, I assume, pretty small in the big picture of passenger counts and revenue.

Aerobod — do you know if anyone has ever tried to tackle this, or if a fix is in the works?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Sharing this honour with only Cubana is pretty mediocre.

I doubt it's a problem with CR. When all but two airlines have incorporated the taxes it is not the government's fault.

I'd prefer if CR mandated it since they have to wonder why they have to man a counter service for 1% of their flights, if that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.