Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet sets load factor, pax count record in August

Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
WestJet reports highest load factor in 21-year history

http://news.morningstar.com/all/cana...r-history.aspx

Airline increases traffic by 10.6 per cent and flies an all-time monthly record of 2.3 million guests

CALGARY, Sept. 12, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced August 2017 traffic results with a load factor of 90.6 per cent, an increase of 4.1 percentage points year over year. Revenue passenger miles (RPMs), or traffic, increased 10.6 per cent year over year, and capacity, measured in available seat miles (ASMs), grew 5.6 per cent over the same period. The airline flew an all-time monthly record of 2.3 million guests in August, a year-over-year increase of 13.8 per cent or approximately 288,000 additional guests.
"We are extremely pleased with our double-digit traffic growth, as we reported our highest ever load factor of 90.6 per cent, flew the most monthly number of guests in our twenty-one year history and set a new single day record on August 8th by flying 81,423 guests," said WestJet President and CEO Gregg Saretsky. "My sincere thanks go out to our over 13,000 WestJetters for continuing to deliver our award-winning brand of friendly caring service over this record breaking summer season."
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

I only just saw this (traveling, and still catching up on things) ... it seems Westjet set a new all-time record for passengers carried last month with a 14 percent year-over-year increase and a load factor of just over 90 percent.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...beandmail.com&

WestJet sets passenger count and load factor records in August

WestJet says its airplanes flew fuller than ever in August as it set records for the most passengers moved in a month.

The Calgary-based airline reports moving 2.3 million people last month, an increase of almost 14 per cent or 288,000 compared with August 2016.
CEO Gregg Saretsky says the August passenger numbers were the highest for one month in WestJet's 21 years of operation, and the one-day record was broken on Aug. 8, when a total of 81,423 guests got on board.

Its August load factor was 90.6 per cent, which means on average fewer than 10 per cent of the seats were vacant.

RBC transportation analyst Walter Spracklin points out WestJet's increase in traffic in August impressively came in at almost double its increase in capacity through service additions over the past year.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I would suggest that load factors in the 90% range are not necessarily a good thing for the customers. It restricts the airline's ability to recover from IRROPS when something goes sideways.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:38 am

90% l/f's and, according to some folks here, nothing but empty flights across the Atlantic.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.