Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

''It's still broken': Passenger takes on WestJet after airline drops wheelchair'

''It's still broken': Passenger takes on WestJet after airline drops wheelchair'

Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC

Sometimes Westjet plays tough!

A Vancouver man facing debilitating illness says he's been dealt another blow by WestJet after the airline dropped his expensive electric wheelchair.
Despite attempts to fix it, Richard Kipping says it still isn't working correctly and that WestJet has given up trying to help him.

WestJet admitted the chair had been dropped and, over the last year, made several attempts to get it fixed. The wheelchair, however, still had issues. At that point, WestJet gave up.
With apologies for the inconveniences you have incurred, we have dealt with you in good faith and have compensated you in a fair manner, the airlines CEO, Gregg Saretsky, said in an email to Kippings wife.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/it-s-still-brok...hair-1.3552275

Ron.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
be interested to know what the "fair compensation" was, such as repairs WJ made, cash settlement??
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
If you are the victim of an rear end fender bender, you don't get a brand new car. Instead the body shop sources a new part and installs it, the other side's insurance picks up the tab for the repairs.

When the car is returned, there maybe 3-5 circles on the new fender because the body shop had to bolt on the new part rather than remove most of the rear end to install the fender (a model specific concern well known in the body shop business). Again, the victim is not compensated because the repair could not be made 100% including cosmetic factors.

I was on the side of the complainant up until the dealer/manufacturer representative got on the camera and stated that in all cases they recommend replacement rather than repair. I expect the replace not repair when the component is couple hundred dollars, but on something like an electric wheelchair, its very unusual.

Taking into consideration that component is an electric wheelchair and that a lot of transportation is done by service providers rather than the disabled person; I'm will to venture that a majority of damage instances occur because of the transportation service provider (e.g. taxi, bus, train, airplane) handling of the equipment at the time of damage.

This will be a very interesting case for the CTA. I could see a sucessful argument from WestJet for undue hardship because of Promobil (chair manufacturer) position. It would be very interesting if another electric wheelchair manufacturer products could be prepared.

Also interesting is the complainant situation was elevated to and responded by Greg Saretsky, the CEO. I'm going to guess that this is not WestJet's first rodeo at damaging a Promobil wheelchair. Further, it is likely that WestJet performed similar repair work to that completed by the dealer at the request of CTV. The wheelchair will continue to get out of alignment and become loose after a few months of use.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have a family member with mobility issues and all these dealers are comically ruthless when they perceive deep pockets, they will take you for every cent they perceive to be on the table. When they heard the word "airline" they were probably breaking out the champagne for the $20,000 wheelchair they thought they were about to sell.

Last edited by Error 601; Aug 28, 2017 at 12:18 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.