Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Aimia in talks with new Aeroplan partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K

MONTREAL – Loyalty program operator Aimia Inc. (TSX:AIM) swung to a loss of $25.1 million in its latest quarter as it said it’s in talks with a number of potential partners to replace its departing Aeroplan partner Air Canada (TSX:AC).
http://www.news1130.com/2017/08/10/a...das-departure/

Please, please, please don't let it be Westjet!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Sopwith

+1000
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:43 am

Even IF Westjet is one of the "potential partners" I expect the relationship to be not much different than it is currently with Air Miles; a way to sell discounted seats via the "Market Fare" method. I highly doubt WestJet would make available seats on a Fixed Award rate basis as a true replacement for AC in the Aeroplan scheme.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
http://www.news1130.com/2017/08/10/a...das-departure/

Who would you prefer? Air Transat? It's not like there are dozens of high quality Canadian airlines lining up to give away seats.

Star Alliance will be sticking with the new Air Canada plan. Can't see credit card holders hanging around to redeem on the handful of cross-border flights from an American airline.

As @robsaw mentions, it will likely be a bulk purchase of seats from a few airlines (including Westjet) that will be sold on to members - similar to the market fare method.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I seem to recall OP making the same plea previously:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westj...-aeroplan.html

Last edited by tcook052; Aug 12, 2017 at 10:35 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by tcook052
I seem to recall OP making the same please previously:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westj...-aeroplan.html
Oh. Forgot about that.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
As @robsaw mentions, it will likely be a bulk purchase of seats from a few airlines (including Westjet) that will be sold on to members - similar to the market fare method.
If that's what it turns out to be I don't mind so much. That's what I have now with RBC Avion and it works for WS travel. I just don't want them to screw it up by tieing in with Aeroplan, whose approach to customer satisfaction is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Westjet's.

I've had enough of aggravation and being hosed by Aeroplan, don't need any more.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Maybe they'll partner with Flair/NewLeaf.

"Our website might work well enough to book a ticket for a flight that might fly."
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Whether it's "market fare" or "fixed miles", a useful comparion might be Vueling via Iberia Plus.

Essentially you can only use (fixed) miles on Vueling when the cash fare is cheap enough. Something is going on behind the scenes involving cash fares or fare buckets. But the value you get for your miles / Avios is poor.

If it really comes down to that, you can pretend to have fixed miles but it probably makes more sense to run Aeroplan like RBC Avion / market fare so that people can feel that they can always use their miles.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
I agree that Air Canada will stick with Star Alliance and vice versa, AC will introduce their own credit card, TD aeroplan and CIBC aeroplan will loose lots of CC customers. I am collecting enough Aeroplan for diamond this year and 2018 as well perhaps 2019 . and using up all points before mid 2020. Aeroplan points give best value today for travel. Using points for appliances or gift cards is no different than Air Miles , so we could have two orginizations competeing in the same market. AC is set up to start their own program again with Altitude

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.