Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Canada"s #1 Travel Rewards Card is getting even better" - what a crock

"Canada"s #1 Travel Rewards Card is getting even better" - what a crock

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:38 am
JWL

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
I agree and will keep the card for the free luggage and companion fare.
i would like to see them add lounge passes for the extra annual fee!!
I am a new cardholder and they called yesterday to say that as of Nov 1:
1. the annual fee was increasing
2. the card would include free lounge access
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by JWL
I am a new cardholder and they called yesterday to say that as of Nov 1:
1. the annual fee was increasing
2. the card would include free lounge access
Possibly throwing 1 or 2 lounge passes your way. I don't think it would include unlimited lounge access at the rate they are charging for the card.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I received this information with my statement regarding upcoming changes. It states that as of November 1st you get "membership" to lounges worldwide but "fees apply for lounge access". The lounges at YYZ are $27 per person to access.
I would love if WJ would provide lounge passes but I don't think that is the case!
Perhaps someone from Westjet could clarify.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I'm pretty sure the HSBC version of the World Elite Mastercard has unlimited access to "participating" lounges though LoungeKey.

Last edited by Error 601; Aug 16, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:44 am

I received this information with my statement regarding upcoming changes. It states that as of November 1st you get "membership" to lounges worldwide but "fees apply for lounge access". The lounges at YYZ are $27 per person to access.
I would love if WJ would provide lounge passes but I don't think that is the case!
Not just $27, USD $27.

My optimism based on how LoungeKey was offered by other cards was misplaced. I figured there had to be at least a couple vouchers included if they were advertising this an an enhancement.

It appears to indeed be the case that the WestJet provided LoungeKey "membership" doesn't include anything except for the privilege of consenting to receiving advertisements from MasterCard.

I don't perceive any situation in which I would avail myself of this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They do if you get to Gold status.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:06 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Hi @Ontariotraveller,

As of November 1, 2017, WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard cardholders will receive a complimentary LoungeKey membership. You will need to register the card at the Mastercard Airport Experiences provided by LoungeKey website or through the app homepage by clicking on the Register Now button.

Mastercard has partnered with LoungeKey to bring you a new and innovative program that helps transform the airport experience. Cardholders can use their eligible Mastercard payment card, and the programs supporting website and app seamlessly, to explore a variety of benefits including:

Explore over 800 lounges, in over 400 airports worldwide (120+ countries), regardless of their airline, frequent flyer membership, or class of ticket.
Unique experiences and offers in dining, spa and retail outlets

Plus, there is no need to carry around an extra card! This membership however does not include any complimentary visits on behalf of WestJet. Members who choose to access the lounge will need to pay for each visit. The cost of the visit and lounge access policies will vary by lounge.

Mandy
WestJet
polyesther likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:09 pm

This might be on RBC but LoungeKey in conjunction with the annual fee increase is being presented terribly, the LoungeKey "membership" to which we are now entitled has no greater value than a twitter account and that is quickly obvious.

The very clear communication of the fact that a LoungeKey "membership" is of little or absolutely no value just reflects badly on the entire offering. This should have just been a bullet point "Flat rate admission to over 800 airport lounges" possibly followed up with some examples of an average discount this represents at WestJet destinations.

This on the other hand just sounds like theatrically overselling a glass of tap water:

Mastercard has partnered with LoungeKey to bring you a new and innovative program that helps transform the airport experience. Cardholders can use their eligible Mastercard payment card, and the program’s supporting website and app seamlessly, to explore a variety of benefits including:

• Explore over 800 lounges, in over 400 airports worldwide (120+ countries), regardless of their airline, frequent flyer membership, or class of ticket.
• Unique experiences and offers in dining, spa and retail outlets
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:11 pm

Not really that much different from a few other cards that offer "Lounge Membership" but not any free admissions; where the membership is about a $99 (i.e. Priority Pass) and $27/visit. Value all depends on how an individual values it given the absence of presence of any access to lounges.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I’m not sure if I understand the anger over this. (And, yes, the “villain” here is RBC. Not WestJet. It’s RBC’s card, and RBC pays WS for the ability to co-brand and offer WS dollars as a reward.)

This is on par with other basic travel credit cards that offer basic Priority Pass membership, as Robsaw stated. When a credit card (or other program) includes basic PP, it’s the exact same thing — no free visits, but a $27usd entry fee. Not earth-shattering. Pretty common.

If you want a credit card that gives you a few “free” lounge visits, the card will cost you more. (Like TD’s Infinite Privilege Visa. $400 a year.)

Want unlimited lounge access? Prepare to pay. That’d be the Amex Platinum for $700 a year.

I won’t use the lounge feature on the WS Mastercard. But, at the price, I still think this card is well worth it. It’s no free lunch, but I can’t think of any credit card that is.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Its no free lunch, but I cant think of any credit card that is.
I sure can. There are lots of free cards with decent benefits.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I sure can. There are lots of free cards with decent benefits.
Available to Canadians though? They are all pretty much the same.....15k signup bonus and travel insurance ($120 annual fee) . The WS card is unique because of the annual companion pass.

Free cards only offer points earning/cash back rewards.

Last edited by Heffeh41; Nov 3, 2017 at 9:17 am Reason: Added content
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
If you want a credit card that gives you a few “free” lounge visits, the card will cost you more. (Like TD’s Infinite Privilege Visa. $400 a year.)

Want unlimited lounge access? Prepare to pay. That’d be the Amex Platinum for $700 a year.
My Amex business platinum is $399 a year Canadian and gives me unlimited lounge access.

But you're right, anyone who gets a card specifically for lounge access needs their head examined. It's not a good value for that alone.

If you get a card for the combination of lounge access, travel insurance, rental car insurance and points earning potential, then it may very well be worthwhile - as it is for me with the business platinum Amex. Although it costs me $400 a year, it probably saves me $800 a year by not having to insure rental cars. After that, everything else is just gravy.

Frankly, it would be nice to see WestJet do a co-branded card with Amex that has similar benefits, but rewards in Westjet dollars rather than Amex points.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
My Amex business platinum is $399 a year Canadian and gives me unlimited lounge access.

But you're right, anyone who gets a card specifically for lounge access needs their head examined. It's not a good value for that alone.

If you get a card for the combination of lounge access, travel insurance, rental car insurance and points earning potential, then it may very well be worthwhile - as it is for me with the business platinum Amex. Although it costs me $400 a year, it probably saves me $800 a year by not having to insure rental cars. After that, everything else is just gravy.

Frankly, it would be nice to see WestJet do a co-branded card with Amex that has similar benefits, but rewards in Westjet dollars rather than Amex points.
I also have the AMEX Business Platinum. The lounge benefit is excellent especially if you fly WestJet. Most of the Canadian lounges are in the area of the airport where WestJet operates from. It is almost as if the two were made for each other. It is a bit of a pain being on AC and having to go all the way over to the WestJet area in Vancouver or Calgary for the better lounge experience.

The one weakness of the program is lounge access outside of North America. In the US the program is tightly aligned with Delta.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:11 pm

Im not sure if I understand the anger over this. (And, yes, the villain here is RBC. Not WestJet. Its RBCs card, and RBC pays WS for the ability to co-brand and offer WS dollars as a reward.)
I'm not angry, I just think it's stupid to communicate this in a way that forces one to contemplate whether a LoungeKey membership that includes nothing is worth an additional $20 a year.

If I served you complimentary tap water in a restaurant and told you it was "born of glaciers and infused with local minerals" you would just sneer at me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.