Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is Westjet's policy (tariff) on hidden city ticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right forum category...

So I'm trying to find out if Westjet has a policy (tariff) on hidden city ticketing. Do they expressly prohibit it?

I went through the Westjet tariffs and tried searching with keywords but could not find anything. The closest thing I found was a policy on them cancelling the remaining legs of a multi-segment or RT flight and the forfeit of fees for a No-show.

In contrast, Air Canada's domestic tariff expressly says that hidden city ticketing is not allowed.

Can anyone comment on Westjet?

P.S. I'm not worried about luggage as I would do carry-on only.

Thanks.

Last edited by darkeningeyecircles; May 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Old May 30, 2017, 7:41 am

As you have found, hidden city ticketing is treated as a no-show. All remaining segments on an itinerary will be cancelled (including any return segments) and any checked baggage will be at the destination shown on the ticket.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
... any checked baggage will be at the destination shown on the ticket.
WS doesn't remove the bags of no show passengers?
Old May 30, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have to imagine a lot of people do this to YYZ, when I flew to Atlanta a few months ago my fare for YYC-YYZ-ATL was almost incomprehensibly cheap, under $200.

Flying just YYC-YYZ the same day would have been more than $500.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I just didn't want to proceed and book a flight and run afoul of any of their policies.

​​​​I emailed WestJet previously and asked the same question. If they respond, I will let know what is said.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
WS doesn't remove the bags of no show passengers?
Sorry, you are correct, a bag pull would happen after a seat count discrepancy is discovered if it is a continuing flight, or after a no-show at the gate in the case of a different flight
Old May 30, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by aerobod
Sorry, you are correct, a bag pull would happen after a seat count discrepancy is discovered if it is a continuing flight, or after a no-show at the gate in the case of a different flight
..........which would likely result in a delay for the other passengers on that flight.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
So to OP's post, what is WS's position.. Most of these overnight in the middle city, so I don't think it would affect onward pax wrt to delays...
Old May 31, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
..........which would likely result in a delay for the other passengers on that flight.
Be nice end check it to the stopover point only.

You do carry the risk of irrops. You may be rerouted a different way and never reach the "hidden" city.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:01 pm

From Domestic Tariff:

"7.2.a Air Transport Contract ... shall entitle the passenger to transportation only between the points of Origin and Destination
specified therein..."

In other words, you bought a ticket between two points, the intermediate destination is not a part of the contract unless it is a true booked stopover.

Not sure what the OP is really asking? What will Westjet do IF they discover hidden-city tickeing or asking if it isn't a problem?

I cannot imagine any company providing a policy statement that would even imply that a breach of contract is anything but that - a breach - and that they could go after the passenger for the appicable amount owing.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:21 pm

You should be able to short check you bags by asking the Customer Service Agent at the airport upon check-in. They won't change your ticket but they usually note your file as a head's up for the connecting flight crew, so they know you won't be showing up.
Officially, you'd be required to pay fare difference and applicable fees to make such a change, but since they can't prevent you from dropping a leg, they won't make it hard for you to short check you bags.
Source: Previous WS employee, these are documented guidelines for agents regarding dropping the last leg(s) of your itinerary.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
You should be able to short check you bags by asking the Customer Service Agent at the airport upon check-in.
If true, I believe that would make WS unique.

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
they won't make it hard for you to short check you bags.
Again, that would be a unique policy.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I have short checked my bags when I did this years ago. Now if I do it, I don't check bags. Bear in mind that you often won't get your WS spend/dollars for that segment if you get off early. My success is about 50/50.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I have short checked my bags when I did this years ago. Now if I do it, I don't check bags. Bear in mind that you often won't get your WS spend/dollars for that segment if you get off early. My success is about 50/50.
The days of short checking bags are ending quickly.

Even on legitimate bookings with an overnight connection, they won't do it. What's worse is they are double charging bag fees on such connections, (AA is expressly doing this).
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by robsaw
From Domestic Tariff:

"7.2.a Air Transport Contract ... shall entitle the passenger to transportation only between the points of Origin and Destination
specified therein..."

In other words, you bought a ticket between two points, the intermediate destination is not a part of the contract unless it is a true booked stopover.
However you do pass through the intermediate city, and they can't cryogenically freeze you to prevent you from leaving the aircraft I don't think any airline has a right to bar you from being in a certain location at a certain time unless you're living in Venezuela.

It sounds like you would want to travel with carry-ons only and book each leg as a separate ticket if you were doing this. I rarely see a real price advantages to booking a round-trio all at once aside from change fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.