Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Plus seats with companion voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K

if I book a Plus fare and then use a companion voucher, I assume that the companion ticket books into the lowest fare possible, and not a Plus seat. Is it possible to pay the fare difference at booking so that the companion ticket gets a Plus seat too?

thanks
Old May 19, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by shore9
if I book a Plus fare and then use a companion voucher, I assume that the companion ticket books into the lowest fare possible, and not a Plus seat. Is it possible to pay the fare difference at booking so that the companion ticket gets a Plus seat too?

thanks
Actually you are both booked into Plus when you buy a Plus fare with the companion voucher!
Old May 20, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Or book both tickets at the lowest fare, then when you check in 24 hours before flight, buy the upgrade for both seats to plus.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Or book both tickets at the lowest fare, then when you check in 24 hours before flight, buy the upgrade for both seats to plus.
That is based on availability and also do not get all the features of Plus.

Attached Images  
Old May 20, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I guess I wouldn't miss those features with the purchase of my low fare ticket since I enjoy all those benefits being a WestJet Gold, but valid point for someone that doesn't have such status.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I guess I wouldn't miss those features with the purchase of my low fare ticket since I enjoy all those benefits being a WestJet Gold, but valid point for someone that doesn't have such status.
I think that greatest consideration is the uncertainty of PLUS seat availability when one is able to check-in. It is not always possible for someone to be standing by at a computer when the online check-in opens.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by radnub
Actually you are both booked into Plus when you buy a Plus fare with the companion voucher!
Can someone confirm this? Would actually apply for that CC as a trip to HNL or LGW may be worth it for the plus deal alone.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Can someone confirm this? Would actually apply for that CC as a trip to HNL or LGW may be worth it for the plus deal alone.
I used a companion voucher (one earned by spend not cc) on Plus seats YVR to LGW and rtn last year. I paid for my plus seat and used the voucher for Ms Frequentlander, who got the Plus seat next to me. You have to do the booking over the phone. It takes about 10 minutes.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I should have added in my post above that I have done it. Bought Plus seats with the CC companion fare two years ago for YYC-YHZ. No problems at all.

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I used a companion voucher (one earned by spend not cc) on Plus seats YVR to LGW and rtn last year. I paid for my plus seat and used the voucher for Ms Frequentlander, who got the Plus seat next to me. You have to do the booking over the phone. It takes about 10 minutes.
You can book the companion fare online now!! It's under 'coupon code, WestJet dollars, all options' link under book a flight. I just used it a couple of weeks ago (came back from the trip tonight actually). It's much better to compare prices and such.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Perfect. Will use as I have hit my spend as well. Maybe I should get the CC too... ugh but Amex/SPG is so much better and more flexible. Even Aeroplan.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
so it's my wife who currently has a companion voucher, but I have about 700 WS dollars, which I'd like to use. Can I use the WS dollars and pay for the balance of her ticket on CC and then use her companion voucher to book my ticket?

WS has said you can use 2 forms of payment, but my concern is that if I book her ticket using my account it somehow won't link to be able to use the companion voucher.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:00 pm

WestJet dollars can cover the airfare portion; but not the $99 companion fee, seat selection (if applicable) or taxes.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
so it's my wife who currently has a companion voucher, but I have about 700 WS dollars, which I'd like to use. Can I use the WS dollars and pay for the balance of her ticket on CC and then use her companion voucher to book my ticket?

WS has said you can use 2 forms of payment, but my concern is that if I book her ticket using my account it somehow won't link to be able to use the companion voucher.
It may be possible if you have a cooperative and patient phone agent. I've booked tickets for a family of five using a combination of companion vouchers, WJ dollars from various accounts, travel bank credits and different credit cards. But the limitation is that each individual ticket can only use up to two separate forms of payment, and WJ dollars cannot be used to pay for taxes/fees (but travel bank credit can!).

In my experience, we have been able to pay for the $99 portion of companion voucher ticket using WJ dollars, but not the taxes. The agent may ask to speak to your wife while you are on the phone to confirm it is ok to co-mingle her companion voucher with your WJ dollars etc., but I have seen it happen.

Last edited by Jono; Jun 13, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.