Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

What Is The Logic in Buying WestJet Dollars?

Old May 15, 17, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

There's an option to buy via Points.com at a cost of more than $1 per $1. Thus 100 WS dollars costs $110 (maybe plus taxes, too, not sure).

Since you can buy a ticket for part cash and part WS dollars, who would use that cash to yield less than it's value? And since you have to pay cash for the taxes and such WS dollars are less liquid, WS-wise than actual dollars.

Are there for example tickets that cost less in "WS dollars" than in real money? Are there tickets with a less equivalent cost that are only obtainable in WS dollars? Do people gift WS dollars and pay a 10% premium to do so?

Otherwise - special offer - I have Canadian $100 bills available for CAD$109 without limit in quantity and as a bonus I will let you use them to buy airline tickets on any carrier, plus anything else like food or a consultation with a mathematician.
Old May 15, 17, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Your answer is in this thread, and the blog post linked within it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westj...-skymiles.html

That would be the only reason to buy WS dollars.
Old May 15, 17, 12:17 pm

All I can think of us buying them for someone else as a gift to top-up their rewards $, but financially it does not seem to make sense unless anyone else has a better explanation.
Old May 15, 17, 1:42 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
I believe it has something to do with member only fares. It is cheaper to purchase a ticket using only WS $ https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/rewards/westjet-dollars
Old May 15, 17, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I think they are called member exclusive fares and it looks like quite a lot of work to find one.

The Delta concept defies logic since since it's just redeeming WS miles on Delta flights at whatever they cost. Also it seems the redemption is not even steven.

Clearly a FF program that uses dollars earned to buy rewards is going to be hampered by selling miles for 10% more than buying a ticket would cost.

I can't see any fast way to find "member exclusive" fares such that a quick buy would be feasible. I also wonder with an airline that takes 14-30 days to even post flown miles on WS flights will manage adding purchased miles the same decade anyway.
Old May 15, 17, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC P25K, WS Silver, Bonvoy Tit
I found a couple of member exclusive fares YVR-YYC on June 22. Savings are a whopping 4 WS$ over the Econo WS$ fare. Or YVR-YYZ on June 22 for a WS$ savings of 10 to 40 over the Econo WS$ fare.
Old May 16, 17, 5:18 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
I scored a $400 YYC-YYZ roundtrip with member exclusive.
Old May 20, 17, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
I found a couple of member exclusive fares YVR-YYC on June 22. Savings are a whopping 4 WS$ over the Econo WS$ fare. Or YVR-YYZ on June 22 for a WS$ savings of 10 to 40 over the Econo WS$ fare.
So to save the $4 you buy miles at a 110% premium to their value. Seems like a lot of effort for little payback or a loss.

I can see redeeming earned dollars as any discount is a discount but buying dollars for $1.10 each calls for finding some better discounts than that.
Old May 20, 17, 1:54 pm

The WestJet $ purchase option is specifically aimed at topping up for the member exclusive fares on Rewards routes that are not available to non-members, such as Calgary-Paris on Delta.
Old May 20, 17, 3:46 pm

How does one find these tickets which are not generally available?
Old May 20, 17, 5:04 pm

Programs: WS Plat., AS Gold, Winner "Misanthropes to Watch" (1984)
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
How does one find these tickets which are not generally available?
If you are a WJ Rewards member and signed up for notifications, you should get alerts via e-mail.
Old May 20, 17, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander View Post
If you are a WJ Rewards member and signed up for notifications, you should get alerts via e-mail.
I am, and I have received an email announcing the existence of "Member Excusive Fares" :

"With Member Exclusive fares you can use your WestJet dollars to travel to
*Paris, Rome, Madrid, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo, and Hong Kong*, on WestJet's partner, Delta Air Lines. Member Exclusive fares will also provide members-only opportunities for great savings within the existing WestJet network."

But the link therefrom was just to a website explaining Westjet Dollars and Member Exclusive Fares in general.

So how do I find out how much, say, YYJ-SYD, would be?

I can't select SYD as an airport on the Westjet website. It offers YQY instead (and, yes, we have had travellers there who were shivering and shocked to have arrived in the wrong Sydney.)
Old May 21, 17, 12:58 am

Log into your Rewards account, then when you select to book a Rewards flight, check the box to pay with WestJet Rewards $, you should then see something like this:
Attached Images  
Old May 21, 17, 2:03 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
$750 CAD + taxes for a one-way in off-season? You've got to be kidding me!
Old May 21, 17, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Log into your Rewards account, then when you select to book a Rewards flight, check the box to pay with WestJet Rewards $, you should then ...
Thank you, but - Wow! Who designs processes like that?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: