Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Anyone know if WestJet intends to exercise the 787-9 options? They have 3 more frames delivering in 2020, and I think they also have their first option set in 2020.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Anyone know if WestJet intends to exercise the 787-9 options? They have 3 more frames delivering in 2020, and I think they also have their first option set in 2020.
The 10 787-9 options are exercisable between 2021 and 2026. The 3 firm 2020 deliveries are assigned production slots, but the 4 firm 2021 deliveries don’t have slots yet. More info here: All things 787
YYCguy and Fiordland like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
The 10 787-9 options are exercisable between 2021 and 2026. The 3 firm 2020 deliveries are assigned production slots, but the 4 firm 2021 deliveries don’t have slots yet. More info here: All things 787
What are the odds (your best guess) aerobod WS exercises 789 options?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:08 pm

What are the odds (your best guess) aerobod WS exercises 789 options?
From what I know of Onex’s ambitions of building a truly international airline, I would say very high with a possibility of more orders within a few years due to a 2-3 year typical minimum delivery timeline.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
How does Onex's BBAM stable figure into all this?

https://www.bbam.com/our-fleet
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:25 am

It probably doesn't hurt. I wonder who does most of WestJet's leases now.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:17 am

It probably doesn't hurt. I wonder who does most of WestJet's leases now.
BBAM already does the 787-9s, as they were moved to leased from purchase around the time the Onex purchase was announced. For the 737s GECAS had been the most common, but BOC, DAE, ORIX , Bank of America, Mitsubishi, SKY, AerCap, Residco, ACG, Avolon and Castlelake are also leasers. Plane Spotters has the lease info if you have a sign-in account: https://www.planespotters.net/airline/WestJet
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
3 Jan 2020

Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by aerobod
From what I know of Onex’s ambitions of building a truly international airline, I would say very high with a possibility of more orders within a few years due to a 2-3 year typical minimum delivery timeline.
Probably does not hurt that WS is going to be wanting compensation for the 737 MAX problems and Boeing would rather provide compensation in the form of discounts on new aircraft. Would love to see that as more 787 instead of more MAXs.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Probably does not hurt that WS is going to be wanting compensation for the 737 MAX problems and Boeing would rather provide compensation in the form of discounts on new aircraft. Would love to see that as more 787 instead of more MAXs.
The issue I see with that is over capacity. What routes would WestJet utilize the 787 on and how would they fill the aircraft?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
The issue I see with that is over capacity. What routes would WestJet utilize the 787 on and how would they fill the aircraft?
Vancouver - Toronto
Calgary - Atlanta
Winnipeg - Des Moines
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by jkordyback
Vancouver - Toronto
Calgary - Atlanta
Winnipeg - Des Moines
Is that already in service?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
WestJet has done well over the years at some of the more "tourist" oriented routes that AC I assume has struggled with. Las Vegas is a good example. Perhaps this is the cost structure and perhaps it is WestJet has had a better reputation that AC with the non-business travelers. They are no shortage of routes in/out of Canada like that today. Most of these place could only support a few flights a week. The Philippines, South America, some of the European destinations the Air Transat has been flying for years. There is also the domestic trunk such as YVR-YYZ. and YYC-YYZ. In the winter months it can shift to flying people to beach destinations.

AC is filling the extra capacity on its Dreamliners with connecting traffic out of the US. WS could do the same. The people who designed YYC messed up the design of that airport royally, that said it is still small enough that even with its weirdness its better than most US hubs and even a bit better that YYZ. California has the same population as Canada and YYC is a reasonable transferring point on the way to Europe.

They should probably play to their existing strengths and try to build out the business destinations more slowly. Given their 787 don't have large business cabins any way that makes sense.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
The people who designed YYC messed up the design of that airport royally,
Testify!
Fiordland likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
WestJet has done well over the years at some of the more "tourist" oriented routes that AC I assume has struggled with. Las Vegas is a good example. Perhaps this is the cost structure and perhaps it is WestJet has had a better reputation that AC with the non-business travelers. They are no shortage of routes in/out of Canada like that today. Most of these place could only support a few flights a week. The Philippines, South America, some of the European destinations the Air Transat has been flying for years. There is also the domestic trunk such as YVR-YYZ. and YYC-YYZ. In the winter months it can shift to flying people to beach destinations.

AC is filling the extra capacity on its Dreamliners with connecting traffic out of the US. WS could do the same. The people who designed YYC messed up the design of that airport royally, that said it is still small enough that even with its weirdness its better than most US hubs and even a bit better that YYZ. California has the same population as Canada and YYC is a reasonable transferring point on the way to Europe.

They should probably play to their existing strengths and try to build out the business destinations more slowly. Given their 787 don't have large business cabins any way that makes sense.
What's wrong with YYC's design? Will fixing it cost billions of dollars? Any reason why WS wouldn't try to make YVR its hub?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.