Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sharing my WestJet flight experience - Different Stages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sharing my WestJet flight experience - Different Stages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
For Delta Elite members flying on WestJet to Toronto and Halifax

My flight from New York City to Halifax Canada.

Ticket was purchased on Delta website and I was flying on WestJet metal. WestJet is a Canadian budget airline with no first/business class on their planes. They do have Plus seats which are similar to Delta’s Economy Comfort seats. Seats are not assigned until 24 hours before departure. If you want a confirmed seat number before the 24-hour window, then there is a $10.00 fee per leg.

The only Delta status benefit that is accepted by WestJet is the free checked bag allowance. You will need to show proof of status on the Delta app or show your status card.

When booking on Delta’s website, you will get a Delta confirmation number that is not going to be useful when checking in with WestJet. I would call WestJet in advance and have them provide you their confirmation number. You will need it to check-in at the kiosk.

Within 24 hours of your departure, you can check-in on WestJet portal using the WestJet confirmation number. You do not need to login to the portal as you can check-in as a guest. At that time, you can select your seat assignment and add the Known Traveler Number.

On the day of the departure, I arrived to LaGuardia Airport (LGA) Terminal D. Westjet has a counter at the end of the check-in section. I checked my bag and showed my status to confirm the free checked benefit.

WestJet Connect is their mobile app that gives you access to Pay Internet, flight info, and onboard entertainment. This includes movies, tv series and satellite tv. WestJet will only work if the plane has on-board Wi-Fi.
On the outbound LGA flight to Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), the 737-800 metal has an electrical outlet at every seat. Boarding is based on four zones: 1)Pre-boarding, 2)Zone 1, 3) Zone 2, 4) Zone 3. Flight was uneventful to YYZ.

On arrival to YYZ, you will need to go through Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). Since I was connecting to Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ), I went to the connecting flight section of the CBSA, submitted my custom’s form and when to baggage claim.

I picked up my checked bag and followed the purple line to rechecked my bag to my connecting flight. Once you have rechecked, you will have to exit the baggage hall to the terminal. You will have to go through security to get to the next flight. If you are connecting, please make sure to give yourself a lot of time to connect.

• 10–15 minutes to deplane and reach CBSA
• 20 minutes for the bag to arrive.
• 5 minutes to recheck the bag
• 10-15 minutes on line to get through Canadian “TSA” security.
• 10-15 minutes to get to the gate as it was far from my entry point at the terminal.

Time may change due to the number of passengers at the terminal.

On my connection flight to YHZ, the flight full and it had an onboard video display for each seat. But there was no electrical outlet. Flight was uneventful to YHZ.

On arrival to YHZ, you would deplane and walk to the baggage hall. It took WestJet 10-15 minutes to get the bags to the baggage hall.
Rental car YHZ is located across the street from the baggage hall, there is a walk way on the lower level that will provide a covered walkway.

On my return flight from YHZ to YYZ, I checked in at the WestJet kiosk using my WestJet confirmation number. I did not check my bag this time as my bag was damaged upon my initial arrival to YHZ. WestJet had given me a replacement bag since my damaged bag was not repairable.

On arrival to YYZ, my connecting flight to LGA was at Gate A. This means that you will have to exist the terminal and go through the US Customs. If you are connecting at Toronto, then you should allocate extra time for this process.

• 10 minutes to deplane and reach US Customs
• 10 minutes on line to get through Canadian “TSA” security.
• 10 minutes to go through US Customs as I had Global Entry.
• 5 minutes to get to the gate.

Time may change due to the number of passengers at the terminal.

On my arrival to LGA, deplane and exited the terminal.

Last edited by NYCTaximan; Jan 7, 2017 at 5:37 am Reason: Changed the title as the comments are mean for Delta Elite members flying on WestJet
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Thanks for the trip report (sounds pretty straightforward) - useful because I will be flying WS ORF-LGA-YYZ-YVR in a couple months so it was nice to pre-read how the customs work coming back into Canada at YYZ.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by NYCTaximan
My flight from New York City to Halifax Canada.

Ticket was purchased on Delta website and I was flying on WestJet metal. WestJet is a Canadian budget airline with no first/business class on their planes. They do have Plus seats which are similar to Delta’s Economy Comfort seats. Seats are not assigned until 24 hours before departure. If you want a confirmed seat number before the 24-hour window, then there is a $10.00 fee per leg.
This is not particularly accurate. On WJ, you can select seats other than Plus seats anytime in advance of your flight for a fee. Fees vary based on length of flight and whether the seat is a "regular" seat or an "exit row" seat. The fees can be as little as $5 (0-300 miles, regular seat) or as high as $59 (over 1001 miles, exit row). One advantage of paying in advance for an exit row is that you are first to board (WJ boards the exit rows before anyone else gets to board).

Plus seats can be purchased in advance or within the 24-hour online check in window if any are available. (WJ offers three fare classes - Econo, Flex and Plus). The advance purchase is significantly more than Econo or Flex fares but it does guarantee you a Plus seat and a few other benefits (free checked baggage, priority boarding, free food and booze). If Plus seats are still available at the 24-hour online check in window they can be purchased for a fee based on flight distance. The fee ranges from $15 (0-300 miles) to $150 (3000+ miles).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
First time flying Westjet. I did not pay for an advance on LGA-YYZ. I was given an exitrow seat at OLCI. I am a PM on DL. My girlfriend who is a GM was also given an exitrow seat. Seat chart appeared to be 50% full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.