Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just How Long To Post Flights? Twitter Support Keeps Changing Deadlines

Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

I flew YYZ YVR in paid Plus in response to their spend $1,500 on Westjet and fly by December 18 Fastrack promotion.

I figured I would try WS instead of paid J on Air Canada. Paid $1,525 before taxes for Plus. Still less than AC J but being honest it's not J service.

All well and good flight-wise, non-stop row 1, pretty comfy, on time both ways.

I checked my WS Rewards a few days later, no flight credit.

Contact via Twitter, and I am told it takes a week and after a round trip is concluded, e.g. not like most airlines that credit leg by leg in miles - OK, might make sense as the credit is based on spend. Have to finish the trip.

Sooo...wait a full week after both trips are done. No credit.

Same Twitter thread the agent now says it is 30 days after the last flight.

I fear after 30 days it will become 60, who knows?

I cannot see "Fastrack" and 30 days to even credit one flight being used at the same time. It's hardly fast.

What is the normal time to credit flights? When Westjet will literally tell you in the same Twitter conversation it is 7 days and then when that doesn't happen it's now 30 days they are hard to take seriously.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I would say it averages 5-15 days for my flights. While they used to be very bad at posting, i have probably gone 70 for 70 of posted flights this year, so I would not worry too much.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

I am amazed that it is not almost instant. This is the only airline that I have seen 15 days as even a "reasonable" expectation. Even vs. airlines based in Central America where it's a day or two at most. Fastrack is not that fast is it? If they want to promote Gold, you'd think they would want to encourage flying after awarding Gold.

I'll stick to the others until they manage to do this.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Yes, WestJet is by far the slowest airline in the world for posting credits, but realistically, how important is posting speed?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:59 am

My own recent experience (each flight booked one-way on separate tickets):

Flight: Dec 8
Posted: Dec 20

Flight: Dec 10
Posted: not yet as of Dec 21

Last edited by Jono; Dec 21, 2016 at 12:59 pm
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:38 pm

My recent experience.

Flight taken Dec 1 - Posted Dec 3

Flight taken Dec 5 - Posted Dec 7

I was quite surprised as usually it takes at least a few weeks.

***Edited....my tickets were two separate one way bookings so maybe that makes a difference.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:02 pm

With mileage based systems, as soon as the flight is flown the miles can be logged against a loyalty account, as the mileage quantity is fixed and known in advance. With the WestJet dollar based system, the credits have to be processed through the revenue accounting system on a batch-basis (minimum of a 24 hour delay) and then reconciled to the flights flown, before being made available to the loyalty system. This is the downside of a dollar based system, the upside being that redemption is so much more flexible.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Sep 3, 2016 Vancouver to Los Angeles
(WS 1698) Sep 13, 2016 Open

Over 3 months so far.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aerobod
With the WestJet dollar based system, the credits have to be processed through the revenue accounting system on a batch-basis (minimum of a 24 hour delay) and then reconciled to the flights flown, before being made available to the loyalty system.
A well-written system would not have these restrictions. Batch processing like this is an artifact of a 1960s computing mentality.

Originally Posted by aerobod
This is the downside of a dollar based system
Funny how earnings on the U.S. majors are all dollar-based now, and they still manage to credit within hours. And WS has a small fraction of the traffic and passenger count.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by keitherson
Sep 3, 2016 Vancouver to Los Angeles
(WS 1698) Sep 13, 2016 Open

Over 3 months so far.
Open a claim. They missed your flight.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes, WestJet is by far the slowest airline in the world for posting credits, but realistically, how important is posting speed?
Well, it qualifies me for Gold for a year and as such they are not seeing any business until they get off their duffs and finish the job.

If you want to sell Plus, full-fare for that market segment, don't diddle about and take forever to do something so simple.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:13 pm

A well-written system would not have these restrictions. Batch processing like this is an artifact of a 1960s computing mentality
Also still the most common method of reconciliation across different organizations in many industries, unfortunately, due to international standards (typically set by IATA for the airline industry). The banking, energy, telecom, airline and other industries relying on inter-company money transfer still reconcile at fixed points in time, hence batch processing being the most appropriate method, often by 3rd parties. When codeshare partners are involved, this is the norm. I don't know a single airline interline or codeshare partner of WestJet's that doesn't do this. At this point in time centralized processing on mainframes is still the predominant method of financial settlement (one IBM z13 mainframe can process 2.5 billion typical financial transactions a day). The core of the Sabre reservation system is still a mainframe, as there is no other architecture that can meet the industry needs without a complete reinvention of the business rules used in the industry.

Mainframe like servers are making a comeback in some areas of the IT industry, as Moore's Law has effectively reached it's limit in single core processing capability, combining hundreds of cores in dozens of processors together using infiniband or similar technologies effectively creates an appliance that has mainframe like capabilities. For big data analytics where a million database transactions per second is quite normal and the workload can't be asynchronous, this type of appliance is required. It is easy to distribute front-end and middleware transactions, but not certain types of database transactions.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Open a claim. They missed your flight.
That is the open claim.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:16 pm

Funny how earnings on the U.S. majors are all dollar-based now, and they still manage to credit within hours. And WS has a small fraction of the traffic and passenger count.
American, United and Delta are all still fundamentally using mileage based programs, with base fare credits to miles as opposed to $ accumulation. WestJet has a policy of crediting based on the reconciled amount after revenue accounting processing has taken place for all sales channels, to make sure the credit is accurate no matter which channel is used for booking, any $ above the minimum amount are then immediately available for spending, so retroactive adjustment is not possible. I would expect the US airlines will handle their different channels when they don't have the revenue from the channel reconciled in a delayed manner, only posting their direct channels immediately.

Last edited by aerobod; Dec 22, 2016 at 12:21 am
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I don't understand precisely what reconciliation has to be done after an itinerary has been flown, what is there to be calculated? Paid upgrades?

Isn't the eligible spend for a flight that was flown a known number?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.