Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA miles earning gutted

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
AA miles earning gutted

As of August 1 credit to AA for WS flights reduced to as low as 30%. I am out and switching to AC for domestic (or lowest fare if significant difference). The inflight service on WS is just very poor in comparison:

1. Food - Westjet has no hot options and a much more limited selection overall whereas AC offers Biz meals for purchase at reasonable cost
2. Coffee/Bev- Westjet is not drinkable whereas AC is Second Cup and no Coke Zero on WS
3. Wine - Gallo? Like seriously? Totally not drinkable whereas AC offers premium wine served in Biz which sometimes can be borderline ok
4. Beer - Coors light, Canadian or Heineken vs. craft beer options on AC.

Until AC moves to the 737 the seating is also a bit better than WS. These differences make a flight more pleasant and with AA miles accumulation gutted there is much less reason to stick with WS unless improvements are made.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:35 pm

Will the WestJet Dollars earning for AA flights be reduced as well?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
Looks like no miles for flights to and from Europe after August 1. That really sucks. Does this apply even if I booked my ticket before August 1?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
OK, now this is driving me crazy. How do I find out the fare class for a WestJet booking? It's not on the receipt, and I can't find it on the website.

Never mind. I had them re-send the receipt and it was there. Though I still don't know why it wasn't there the first time around...

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jul 18, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
For most fares, at least the AA earning is still better than DL.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A lot of AA partners have been screwed by their new FF scheme.

A race to the bottom that AA joined late.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
A race to the bottom that AA joined late.
Yes, but they are making up lost ground at an alarming rate.

I would be very wary of flying AC for any reason. I once took VIA just to avoid AC between Montreal and Toronto. There are just too many outliers the average traveler can't predict with AC.

At least on WS, you earn AA and you don't have the rude FA's, the indifferent desk clerk and the unfathomable long wait on hold for a rep in India to pick up only to tell you that your lost luggage is not viewable on his system.

There is part of me that would hitchhike before going on AC willingly. Sometimes my company forces me to fly AC but I fight them on it. The only positive I can think of is the other inmates.....um sorry, I mean .....passengers usually have the same opinion of AC as I do.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
As of August 1 credit to AA for WS flights reduced to as low as 30%. I am out and switching to AC for domestic (or lowest fare if significant difference). The inflight service on WS is just very poor in comparison:

1. Food - Westjet has no hot options and a much more limited selection overall whereas AC offers Biz meals for purchase at reasonable cost
Your opinion is incorrect, (sarcasm) I would say the Tapas Box WS offers is better then any hot meal on A/C. :P
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I am out and switching to AC for domestic (or lowest fare if significant difference).
If your domestic or transborder flights happen to be on rouge, as is increasingly the case, then you may find yourself back on Westjet faster than you think. The seating density on their 319 is so tight (think standing in a crowded elevator) that the only alternative is to pay a significant upcharge for preferred seating - which gives you basically the same seat you could have bought on Westjet for what now would have been $75 - $100 less.

Enjoy ... but I think the sheer number of ex-AC elites who now fly on Westjet says much about AC's overall experience and customer service.

If Westjet would join an alliance like OneWorld or Skyteam, and institute a full-bore FF program, they would eat a big chunk of AC's lunch.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I will never fly Rouge 319 so no worries there. WS had been my exclusive airline of choice for domestic due to AA earning....not anymore. For transborder I usually fly Alaska or Delta.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
Your opinion is incorrect, (sarcasm) I would say the Tapas Box WS offers is better then any hot meal on A/C. :P
On AC they sell the left-over meals from Business class in the back. These meals are first rate. Better than any box of sodium, fat and sugar with misc. prep packaged food products.

I find this AC vrs WestJet debate inaccurate. My own experience:

AC - Much better in IROP with a better network. The Embrear and Airbus fleet has wider seats. Rogue is a problem and the wide body flights are a bit to tight.

WJ- Friendly staff, but they struggle a little bit with interline and overseas operations. But they try hard. The 737 is not as nice as the Airbus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.