Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Free Upgrades?

I was flying home from YYZ to YYC the other day, and I checked in around 16 hours prior to departure. I don't remember if I was in the cheapest, or 2nd cheapest fare class, but when I went to check in and select seats, I noticed I was already in a Plus seat. I did not pay for this, however I did use a Plus upgrade certificate on the other trip (YYC to YYZ) - not sure if that has anything to do with it. Wondering if this is new - is WS system offering upgrades now? I am Gold (earned, not matched), for many years - but not sure if that matters.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I am Gold (earned, not matched), for many years - but not sure if that matters.
It was only introduced about 18 months ago.

More likely all the other Y seats were already taken.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
It was only introduced about 18 months ago.

More likely all the other Y seats were already taken.
Whatever the program was before that was introduced 3 to 4 years ago now? (going off memory)
Old May 1, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I had a similar experience the other day going YEG-YVR. Can't remember if I was on an Econo or Flex fare, but at check in I was given 1D. Flight was only about 2/3 full. Hoping for a similar experience YVR-YOW in a couple of weeks. ^
Old May 4, 2016, 9:57 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Our check-in system now randomly upgrades WestJet Rewards Gold members as a surprise "thanks" for flying with us.

Happy Plus-ing!
Darren
Old May 5, 2016, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WestJet
Our check-in system now randomly upgrades WestJet Rewards Gold members as a surprise "thanks" for flying with us.
Nice benefit!
Old May 6, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
excellent benefit. In 4 years of status with AC I never got an op-up.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
I had one of these - very nice little surprise :-)
Old May 8, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
That's a nice addition, and definitely not something you get on AC. Kudos, WestJet.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Originally Posted by Symmetre
That's a nice addition, and definitely not something you get on AC. Kudos, WestJet.
I've received an opup as AC*SE. Never received an opup as WestJet Gold.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I got a free upgrade to Plus on YVR-LAX recently, very much appreciated.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by kevy_boy
I've received an opup as AC*SE. Never received an opup as WestJet Gold.
I guess it happens. But not often, and certainly not as part of an actual effort to reward loyalty.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Maybe it's to make up for all the complaints about the certs expiring before people could use them?
Old May 17, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
I love the "surprise" automatic upgrades, great new feature.

Does the system make allowances for upgrades where more than one person travelling on a booking, but not all are Gold members?

Also, has anyone ever got an upgrade on a Hawaii or TATL flight?

When I flew to OGG with WS it was on the leased Thomas Cook planes so there was no Plus section, but am flying to LGW this week and 6 days out there are still 17 Plus seats showing available.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canuckmma

When I flew to OGG with WS it was on the leased Thomas Cook planes so there was no Plus section, but am flying to LGW this week and 6 days out there are still 17 Plus seats showing available.
If you are looking on the "select seats" map - just know that it isn't always accurate as to what is available. Best to have an employee check for you. I wouldnt expect this. On my last 30 flights over the past 2-3 months, I have only been upgraded automatically once. However, get on OLCI 24 hours prior, and pay for the LGW upgrade. So worth it on a 767!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.