Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet status match back on and easy renewal for existing Golds

Westjet status match back on and easy renewal for existing Golds

Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Globex
Interesting...are you sure you aren't looking at your initial set of lounge passes?

I have 10 lounge passes from when I first got Gold (issued Nov-2014) that expires Feb 29, 2016. Then when I got my Gold extension, I got another 10 lounge passes (issued Nov-2015) that expires Dec 31, 2016.
Agree, there should be a second page of the lounge/seat selection "vouchers" that holds the 2017 expiring ones.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: WS Gold, Altitude E35K, Freccia Alata
Bookings on 3rd party sites - Gold Status Renewal

Has anyone had issues meeting the criteria for this renewal offer when booking flights on 3rd party web-sites? (expedia / orbitz / budgetair etc).

The reason I ask, I'm a current gold member and I booked a Westjet Encore flight (domestic) and flew in November 2015 (after receiving the renewal e-mail offer for existing Gold members). My boarding pass had the flight marked 'WS' and stated "Operated by Westjet Encore Q400". The boarding pass also included my Westjet Gold #.

The email response from a westjet rep was the fare I purchased on https://www.budgetair.com/en_ca was an 'unpublished contracted rate' and I was therefore not eligible for the renewal offer.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue? Seems like an odd response given it's a public web-site available for anyone to use.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Traverse81; Jan 20, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by Traverse81
The email response from a westjet rep was the fare I purchased on https://www.budgetair.com/en_ca was an 'unpublished contracted rate' and I was therefore not eligible for the renewal offer.

In the terms & conditions of the status match is says:
fly a minimum of one eligible WestJet-marketed flight with your WestJet Rewards ID on the booking between September 24 and December 31, 2015.
The key part of that statement would be:
WestJet-marketed
With your booking being third party, I would take it as your flight was marketed by that service provider and not by WestJet, making your flight ineligible.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:16 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Hello Traverse81,

On occassion some budget third-party travel companies sell fares lower than what's available on westjet.com or a major retailer. These unpublished, contracted rates don't ordinarily qualify for rewards or frequent flyer programs as the reward can be found in the discount.

Sorry to let you down,
Darren

Originally Posted by Traverse81
Has anyone had issues meeting the criteria for this renewal offer when booking flights on 3rd party web-sites? (expedia / orbitz / budgetair etc).

The reason I ask, I'm a current gold member and I booked a Westjet Encore flight (domestic) and flew in November 2015 (after receiving the renewal e-mail offer for existing Gold members). My boarding pass had the flight marked 'WS' and stated "Operated by Westjet Encore Q400". The boarding pass also included my Westjet Gold #.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue? Seems like an odd response given it's a public web-site available for anyone to use.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Hey Darren, I didn't manage to get a flight in by Dec 31, but I did fly on Jan 9, returning on Jan 30. Any chance these flights would be considered?

Thx
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Canuckmma
With your booking being third party, I would take it as your flight was marketed by that service provider and not by WestJet, making your flight ineligible.
I don't think so, I take that much more to mean it just has to be a WS flight number.

From their site:

What qualifies as a WestJet-marketed flight?

A WestJet-marketed flight is any flight that has a WS carrier code preceding the flight number (eg. WS 656, WS 3109, WS 5010). The flight may be operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore or a partner airline. Regardless of which carrier operates it, if the flight number starts with WS you are eligible to earn WestJet dollars on that flight.
http://www.westjet.com/redeem-rewards/en/faqs/#2_8

Really crappy of WS to not be more up front about it. Quite a slap in the face for a customer WS presumably wants via offering a status match.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I don't think so, I take that much more to mean it just has to be a WS flight number.

From their site:

http://www.westjet.com/redeem-rewards/en/faqs/#2_8

Really crappy of WS to not be more up front about it. Quite a slap in the face for a customer WS presumably wants via offering a status match.
In the Rewards FAQ it states further down:

"What is a published fare, and can I earn WestJet dollars on all fares?

A published fare is one that is publicly available at westjet.com or given by calling us. The vast majority of fares are eligible. Certain fares, such as unpublished contracted fares made available to online travel agencies, for example, may not be eligible for earning."

In this case budgetair.com reselling WestJet flights would be in the unpublished fare category, as Darren said.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
In the Rewards FAQ it states further down:

"What is a published fare, and can I earn WestJet dollars on all fares?

A published fare is one that is publicly available at westjet.com or given by calling us. The vast majority of fares are eligible. Certain fares, such as unpublished contracted fares made available to online travel agencies, for example, may not be eligible for earning."

In this case budgetair.com reselling WestJet flights would be in the unpublished fare category, as Darren said.
Nope, nothing in the renewal quoted upthread stated the flight needed to earn WestJet dollars to credit. It only says it needs to be a WestJet marketed flight - which it was.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: MR Plat
Nope, nothing in the renewal quoted upthread stated the flight needed to earn WestJet dollars to credit. It only says it needs to be a WestJet marketed flight - which it was.
If you're referring to the Gold extension with 1 Westjet Marketed flight, then in the terms and conditions of that page, it states that (bolding is mine):

A minimum of one WestJet-marketed flight is defined as any flight (excluding those booked as part of a WestJet Vacations package) with a WS carrier code preceding the flight number (for example, WS 656, WS 3396) normally eligible for WestJet dollar accrual as per the WestJet Rewards program terms and conditions. The flight may be operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore or a code-share partner airline. Both new and existing bookings for flights flown during the Promotion Period will be eligible. The memberís 9-digit WestJet Rewards ID must be on the booking at the time of travel to allow for tracking of flight activity.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by WestJet
Hello Traverse81,

On occassion some budget third-party travel companies sell fares lower than what's available on westjet.com or a major retailer. These unpublished, contracted rates don't ordinarily qualify for rewards or frequent flyer programs as the reward can be found in the discount.

Sorry to let you down,
Darren
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply winnipegrev / Globex / aerobod / Canuckmma / Darren.

From what I've learned, my flight was a 'West-Jet marketed" flight as per winnipegrev but I may have unknowingly purchased an "unpublished" contracted fare as I used a third-party travel company vs. westjet.com or a major retailer. As per Darren, these sites occasionally sell fares at unpublished rates and these rates " may not be eligible for earning" (as per the FAQ section on WestJet Reward dollars on westjet.com)

From my standpoint it's difficult to know upfront what Westjet considers valid third-party travel companies/retailers vs. unapproved 'budget' ones selling 'unpublished' fares that may or may not be eligible for earning

In my scenario, I didn't compare the price vs. westjet.com so I canít honestly comment on any 'discount' I unknowingly received - if any. Perhaps a more straight forward policy would have stated that fares must be purchased on westjet.com to qualify for status renewal

Regardless, I canít say that I'm overly enthusiastic about the Westjet Rewards program given the ambiguity and difficulty interpreting the fine print Ė but that is just my opinion

Thanks again for everyone's input
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:35 am

The status match terms and conditions (http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/rewa...ms-conditions) refer to the Rewards terms and conditions in this statement:

"A minimum of one WestJet-marketed flight is defined as any flight (excluding those booked as part of a WestJet Vacations package) with a WS carrier code preceding the flight number (for example, WS 656, WS 3396) normally eligible for WestJet dollar accrual as per the WestJet Rewards program terms and conditions. The flight may be operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore or a code-share partner airline. Both new and existing bookings for flights flown during the Promotion Period will be eligible. The memberís 9-digit WestJet Rewards ID must be on the booking at the time of travel to allow for tracking of flight activity."

The status match terms and conditions open in a light box that you have to scroll to the bottom of to read all the text.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:21 am

The status match terms and conditions (http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/rewa...ms-conditions) refer to the Rewards terms and conditions in this statement:

"A minimum of one WestJet-marketed flight is defined as any flight (excluding those booked as part of a WestJet Vacations package) with a WS carrier code preceding the flight number (for example, WS 656, WS 3396) normally eligible for WestJet dollar accrual as per the WestJet Rewards program terms and conditions. The flight may be operated by WestJet, WestJet Encore or a code-share partner airline. Both new and existing bookings for flights flown during the Promotion Period will be eligible. The member’s 9-digit WestJet Rewards ID must be on the booking at the time of travel to allow for tracking of flight activity."

The status match terms and conditions open in a light box that you have to scroll to the bottom of to read all the text.
It does seem WS is within its rights to deny the renewal.

But I still think it is a poor way of going about business, particularly involving status-matching and trying to take customers from AC, when there seems to be no easy way to know if your fare is a WS dollar earning fare or not. I expect Traverse81 is turned off the WS program and others feeling burned are unlikely to come back too.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:31 am

It does seem WS is within its rights to deny the renewal.

But I still think it is a poor way of going about business, particularly involving status-matching and trying to take customers from AC, when there seems to be no easy way to know if your fare is a WS dollar earning fare or not. I expect Traverse81 is turned off the WS program and others feeling burned are unlikely to come back too.
Unfortunately traditional frequent flyer programs are very expensive to run, the WestJet program is generally more straight forward in the rewards it gives to make it more cost efficient, but the contract selling of a ticket together with a frequent flyer reward would easily remove all margin from that ticket, as Darren indicated.

The standard published fare classes at the moment are X,D,G,P,M for Econo, L,Q,B,V,Y for Flex and H,W,K for Plus. If the fare class on the ticket is not one of these it is likely to be un-published and ineligible for Rewards dollars.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:18 pm

Unfortunately traditional frequent flyer programs are very expensive to run, the WestJet program is generally more straight forward in the rewards it gives to make it more cost efficient, but the contract selling of a ticket together with a frequent flyer reward would easily remove all margin from that ticket, as Darren indicated.

The standard published fare classes at the moment are X,D,G,P,M for Econo, L,Q,B,V,Y for Flex and H,W,K for Plus. If the fare class on the ticket is not one of these it is likely to be un-published and ineligible for Rewards dollars.
In my case, the ticket class on my e-ticket invoice was class 'D'.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Gold Extended?

Hi:

I got the gold start match first time around and then flew WS all year. Easily achieved the $6k spend in 2015.

I assumed (maybe wrongly) that my gold status would be maintained for all of 2016 but my account indicates that my Gold status is "valid until" Feb 29 2016.

So does this mean I loose status of the rest of the year? My last flight on WS was on Oct 22 2015 so I am under the wire for the promotion. I did no flying after that date in 2015 for various reasons and have just started flying to my usual pattern last week.

I have MVP Gold status on AS from other travel. I have AC SE status until Feb 29 2016.

Where do I stand? Do I have zero status with WS after Feb 29? If so this is NOT attractive.

Darren, any comments? Am I looking at this the wrong way? Do I have status after Feb 2016?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.