Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meals on Flights to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

WestJet is advertising "hot meals" for passengers in Plus on the flights to London.

Is that to say there will not be hot meals for passengers in economy?

I'm referring to flights from Western Canada, I understand the flights from the Maritimes are shorter.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
WestJet is advertising "hot meals" for passengers in Plus on the flights to London.

Is that to say there will not be hot meals for passengers in economy?

I'm referring to flights from Western Canada, I understand the flights from the Maritimes are shorter.
The hot meals are free for Plus passengers.

Economy passengers can purchase hot meals on the 767 flights.

See item #5 here:

http://blog.westjet.com/westjet-flig...atwick-pricing
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
The hot meals are free for Plus passengers.

Economy passengers can purchase hot meals on the 767 flights.

See item #5 here:

http://blog.westjet.com/westjet-flig...atwick-pricing
I'm sure you will be able to pre-purchase your meal in economy as well. Probably get an email a week before departure with the menu. I think they need the order placed 48hrs before departure.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:57 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
When flights to London launch, hot meals will be served complimentary in Plus, and will be available for purchase in the main cabin.

For the main cabin, you can purchase a-la-carte, or for London-bound flights, pre-purchase is also available. (We're hoping to add pre-purchase meals ex-Gatwick, also, but haven't finalized any arrangements yet so don't want to promise something that's not confirmed.)

Cheers,
Darren
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Will the "delectable hot dishes" available for sale be similar to the "delectable hot dishes" served for free by all the other carriers crossing the Atlantic or will we actually be able to pay for a good meal?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Hmmm. Not sure this will be too well received by the average flyer who often see the a la carte pay-as-you-go approach as nickel & diming.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
So no complimentary hot meal for normal economy passengers on a 6+ hour flight?

Does a bag of McDonalds count as a carry-on item?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
If they are smart, westjet could do very well by duplicating the approach we experienced when flying Icelandair ~4 years ago: buy-on-board for adults; but free for kids.

We bought our own snacks anyway, but I was really impressed with the kids meal that Little Miss Sofasurfer received. Just enough of something I don't exactly recall, but that it was pretty balanced wrt what you'd expect a kid to eat without complaint, and with some fruit or something in there to feel like some kind of balance had been reached
(The colouring-in postcards were also mailed free of charge to the addressee - didn't expect that at all, and had completely forgotten until the in-laws emailed us to say thanks!)

I'd wager the LGW traffic will comprise a fair few families. This kind of move could be a very smart one to try. I don't know what rouge offers its pax for food, but IMO if I'm travelling with my child and they've been taken care of, I'm certainly going away with a favourable impression overall.. And likely to tell other parent about it.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
FWIW, I prefer to eat and drink in the lounge before the eastbound TATL flight.
Coming back, I'd prefer to bring my own snacks on board as I'm struggling to think of any economy class meal I've really felt to be worh it (even if included) in recent years.
(Used to select kosher meals ex-London as they used to be plentiful and enjoyable - but this was ~10 years ago and I recall the quantity and quality declining)
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:44 pm

Seriously, no free meals in economy on transatlantic flights??? I suspect that's not going to go over well. Yes, the quality of the food offered by other airlines is poor, but at least it's something. Everyone expects to be fed on such a long flight. Even Transat offers food.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Seriously, no free meals in economy on transatlantic flights??? I suspect that's not going to go over well. Yes, the quality of the food offered by other airlines is poor, but at least it's something. Everyone expects to be fed on such a long flight. Even Transat offers food.
I'm surprised too and agree that it will not go over well. I've basically given up on eating airline meals and bring my own, but I expect most people will be surprised to get no meal.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Add me to the surprised list. I hope it's communicated clearly that food will need to be purchased prior to boarding because there will be plenty of disappointed people on board expecting a complimentary meal. Based on how fast I see their typical offerings of sandwiches getting gobbled up on the 737s I wonder how many hungry people are left with little choice for anything.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:18 pm

No free meals? Thanks for leading the race to the bottom WestJet. I guess we can look forward to Rouge matching that.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Seriously, no free meals in economy on transatlantic flights??? I suspect that's not going to go over well. Yes, the quality of the food offered by other airlines is poor, but at least it's something. Everyone expects to be fed on such a long flight.
I dunno as I flew KLM on Sun. TATL and found their hot meal choice (pasta) quite good.

Even Transat offers food.
Not for free any more as of this year. New buy onboard menu called Bisto.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)

This doesn't sound right at all. Isn't WestJet required by law to serve complimentary food on such long flights??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.